HDTV Cable Box hates me!

zachman123

My dual tuner DVR (It's a motorola provided by comcast, sorry don't have the model on hand) is stuck on BBC World. Now I'm not bashing on all you brits here but it's not exactly what I want to watch. Whenever I try to change the channel, the hard drive makes a few (normal, not clicking) sounds, and then the same channel re-focuses. Occationally I can change the number on the front of the box, but the channel doesn't change on the TV.

It's not the remote, I tested that. Tried unplugging the box as well as the coaxial cable. Any ideas?

edit: Figured out the numbers changing. If the front display says 130 for example, if I hit up 5 times nothing happens at all. If I turn the box off and on, however, the number goes up to 135 (channel video stays the same).

Vice

I'm a brit and I hate BBC too!

Anyway call Comcast and get a new box that's faulty and you will find that with consumer electronics (not computer) there is virtually nothing you can do to fix it.

zachman123

Thanks, but that's not it. The box's numbers don't change (see my edit above).

It's gotten stuck before for a few seconds, but nothing like this.

edit: pointed at lylesback. I guess I'll be calling comcast then. Last time I had a problem they (probably mistakenly) gave me free cable for the year (must've meant to do 1 month and forgot).

Thanks anyways, I'll see if anything happens in a few minutes because I had scheduled a recording.

Andrew Lyle

only way i could see why its doing that is..

your cable isn't hooked up to your TV properly.. the cable box number changes, but the chanel doesn't.. so check the cable isn't going from wall directly into your TV :p

or.. check to make sure your TV is on chanel 3 (not your cable box)

Statikk

1-800-COMCAST :D

bangbang023

Just call Comcast man. You have a defective box. They'll replace it for you.

zachman123
Just call Comcast man. You have a defective box. They'll replace it for you.

586047228[/snapback]

But I wanna watch NOW ;)

hmmm... by randomly hitting all the buttons on the remote I can swich from DTV (Detroit TV) to PBS.

edit: Nevermind, it's actually the same channel. Doh.

Michael

On the 1-800-COMCAST menu system there is a menu option which says something about the same thing on every channel. I think it's option three. You just enter your number and the process is automated, you don't talk to anyone. Try that maybe?

zachman123

cool thanks, doing that now.

zachman123

beautiful.... they're having trouble "connecting my call"

zachman123

Woh. That was incredibly weird. I was getting off the phone from my (failed) call with them, and all of a sudden I hear the emergency signal noise. Then, my box changes channels a bunch of times (however without the new channel picture). Now I have full control of the box, just no channels other than DTV actually have the picture along with them.

OnDemand works, I think. I guess comcast was just messed or something.

** arg sorry for the triple post**

edit: All better (well mostly) now :D.

edit2: Called back and got a message about "heavy call volume due to high-speed internet outage in your area" so cable must've been messed up too.

Edited by zachman123
zachman123

1-800-SORRYI-NEEDEDHELP

mods feel free to close it.

edit: just happened again for a minute... and a message went across the screen about a required "Emergency broadcast test for 5 minutes". I really do hate comcast...

Edited by zachman123
metro

Don't turn the DVR off... leave it on. There is an issue with the Motorola 6412 DVR which is the model you have. How do I know? I work for Comcast. People who leave the DVR turned on have less issues than people that turn them on and off. Motorola dropped the ball with these boxes, and it makes us look bad because we only have so much control over the situations the boxes cause.

Usually powercycling the box can fix most issues, especially the one where the picture is blank but you get audio. There is another issue where the box gets stuck in mute, which is the result of the box being turned off and starting a scheduled recording. It sucks, and I hope our testing of different DVR/HDTV boxes leads us to cycle out these POS Motorola DVR's. Fortunately, I have no problems with mine but then again I know how to keep mine bitch-slapped :D

zachman123

lol thanks for the help and info metro... I'll try that. The most annoying issue seems to be the box locking up every once in a while and then doing all of the commands at once.

That seems to have gotten less frequent though.

Since you're from comcast, I might as well ask, are there any plans to be able to use the usb/firewire/ethernet for networking/addon drive space (I think I read something like that online)? Just curious.

edit: Ooh found this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....threadid=403695. Was thinking of buying a DVD recorder to use with it but I might just try this and use my PC's.

metro

I have tried to use FireWire to interface the box with my computer, and while the computer is able to detect the box and know what it is, it refuses to sync with the applications and be found as an imaging source device. Some people are able to get it to work, but it is a rare case. Another issue, is when transferring the content, it can be masked with a form of encryption that is unable to be decoded. Some networks like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc put this in the broadcast flag. Most VOD content is also encrypted, so it might be best to try a DVD recorder so you can run off of pure signal. Make sure that the DVD recorder has video and audio relays to the TV so you can watch and record at the same time.

The FireWire ports are mainly intended for connecting the box to a FireWire based video input on a TV but the signal will be protected by HDCP technology. In terms of the USB and Ethernet, they are disabled through the firmware but are functional ports and may be used in the future.

zachman123

Yea, I almost got it to work (got recognised it and installed the drivers) but I got a BSOD from meitape.sys so I'll have to try on my other computer.

Anyways everything is good now, thanks again.

Bling3k12

That box is possessed... I swear... I have the same one (three of them actually, 3 HDTV's in the house) and there's problems on all of them. One of them, there will be no video unless you go into MyDVR and play back a recording, then exit the recording. Then you can see video. Mine has a horrible problem of not responding to commands. I can hit the pause button, and nothing will happen for about 2 minutes, and in that span of time I've pressed Play, Fast Forward (2 or 3 Times), Live, and Exit, and then it executes all those at once. Then it works for a while and boom, same problem.

I can't blame Comcast, it's not their box, but Motorola didn't do a good job with it. For a while, they're fine, then they start acting up.

The redeeming quality is that I can use the FireWire port to output the video onto my Mac, in full pristine HD quality. Playback is smooth also, even uncompressed (love those G5's :happy: )

And Meteo, since you seem to have opened yourself to questions, am I able to use the front AV inputs on the box at all? Can't find anything on the remote or in the settings.

• 1 month later...
metro

And Meteo, since you seem to have opened yourself to questions, am I able to use the front AV inputs on the box at all? Can't find anything on the remote or in the settings.

586065570[/snapback]

They are non functional at this time. Sorry for the late response :)

zachman123
One of them, there will be no video unless you go into MyDVR and play back a recording, then exit the recording.

586065570[/snapback]

I have that too, but I've managed so far. Metro, any other solution to that?

metro

Another solution is to pull the power cord for about a minute, plug it back in, and let the box re-initialize itself and redownload all of the guide and menu content. The best solution is to leave the DVR turned on at all times and to only turn off the TV itself.