No High Definition in Revolution: Nintendo

Nintendo says its next-generation home console won?t support high-definition games.

Today, IGN.com published a story on high-definition and how it will affect the future of videogames, movies and even regular cable or satellite-viewing. In the story, several well-known figures spoke about the subject, including Factor 5?s Julian Eggebrecht and, more significantly for Nintendo fans, Nintendo?s own Perrin Kaplan.

According to Mrs. Kaplan, Nintendo of America?s vice president of corporate affairs, Nintendo Revolution ? Nintendo?s next-generation home console ? will not support any high-definition formats.

?It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]," Kaplan told IGN.com.

"Nintendo's Revolution is being built with a variety of gamers' needs in mind, such as quick start-up time, high power, and ease of use for development and play. It?s also compact and sleek, and has beautiful graphics in which to enjoy innovative games," Kaplan says. "Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."

"Companies focused on outdoing each other for technology's sake are using the power of public relations to confuse the media into thinking high-definition is a live-or-die part of the games of the future," says Kaplan. "It is a technological fact that games will still look incredibly beautiful and play incredibly well without the high cost of making them HD compatible. HD may be one of the technologies of the future. Is it the gaming industry's only future? We don't think so."

Meanwhile, both competitors, Microsoft and Sony, will be supporting the wave of HD with their next-generation consoles, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, respectively. With Xbox 360, Microsoft is requiring that all titles on the console output in both 720p and 1080i. Meanwhile, all games released on the PlayStation 3 will have to run in at least 720p or 1080i, if not higher modes, such as 1080p, which the PS3 can not only output in, but can output to two different high-definition TVs simultaneously. 1080p is currently one of the most advanced HD formats, which only a few high-end HDTV sets can run.

The next generation of videogames is approaching quickly. Xbox 360 will launch this fall, with PlayStation 3 launching sometime in 2006. Finally, Nintendo Revolution is due to release by the end of 2006.

http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5198

oh well, it not like HD is in every house ($$$ thats why), not a big problem

586047924[/snapback]

But this is suppose to be a "next-gen" system. HDs are becoming more popular every day.

Not that I use/can afford a decent HDTV anyway, but still, this is some majorly bad news for Nintendo fans. I think Nintendo keeps shooting themselves in the feet with the vague details about the console, and any news that surfaces seems like bad news. I don't see how they can really compete at this rate unfortunately...

That said, I don't see this making much difference to anyone but the hardcore enthusiast.

586047935[/snapback]

Even kids will notice the difference between Standard Def & Hi-Def.

That being said, I'm going to scratch Revolution off my list. Too bad they gave up too many fronts that it almost feels like surrender.

It looks like the only saving hope for Nintendo are its hardcore fans like always. :wacko:

586047924[/snapback]

But HD is continuing to gain ground, especially with DirecTV's huge backing and FCC regulations that have everyone converting to digital anyways and, in that conversion, simply upgrading to HD at the same time to save costs.

That said, I don't see this making much difference to anyone but the hardcore enthusiast.

586047924[/snapback]

I won't be buying one now. I have a HD. No support = No buy.

Sony will probably get my dough.

Even kids will notice the difference between Standard Def & Hi-Def.

That being said, I'm going to scratch Revolution off my list. Too bad they gave up too many fronts that it almost feels like surrender.

It looks like the only saving hope for Nintendo are its hardcore fans like always.  :wacko:

586047943[/snapback]

Most kids don't even know what HD is.

if you are basing your purchase on the games resolution then you should just stop playing games. Graphics isn't everything. In fact i'm more happy the less realistic stuff looks. It gets you to focus on the GAME aspects. Besides you won't even be able to tell the difference if you use a s-video cable.

I won't be buying one now. I have a HD. No support = No buy.

Sony will probably get my dough.

586047942[/snapback]

wow.. this wasnt smart. I just got a HDTV for my xbox for HD games, then sooner or later xbox 360... i mean using my system at 720p vs 480i is a HUGE difference

if you are basing your purchase on the games resolution then you should just stop playing games. Graphics isn't everything. In fact i'm more happy the less realistic stuff looks. It gets you to focus on the GAME aspects. Besides you won't even be able to tell the difference if you use a s-video cable.

586047982[/snapback]

More resolution doesn't make stuff look more realistic, it makes it look better. I think you are confusing art direction with supporting an exciting and quickly expanding technology. If you want to live under a rock and pretend that you don't care about HD then that's fine by me, but you have to admit that it is an important feature. Nintendo thinks that by not supporting HD they will win support of the common people. However, I am willing to bet that since MS and Sony support both HD and SD that people would rather buy something that supports both their current sdtvs and their future hdtvs. People like to buy stuff that is future-proofed. Not stuff that is stuck in the stoneage. I'll still buy it for zelda, but I sincerely hope that they switch gears and support HD by the time the console launches (480p was pretty at first but it doesn't really cut it anymore). And why on Earth would I bother using an svideo cable? I use component cables for all my consoles now, so why use something worse on a newer console? Also, pretty pictures have never stopped me from focusing on gameplay. They don't make the experience, they just enhance it.

586047959[/snapback]

And I bet that even if they don't know what it is they will buy a console that supports HD even if they only have an sdtv just because they think that it sounds cool and high tech.

586047959[/snapback]

Yet they can spot the difference in quality between SD & HD. They tend to notice difference in the most subtle of areas and this is huge.

I really couldnt care less about HD... my tv isn't hd, and i won't be getting any hd tvs any soon... ever i think

Bleh my normal tv looks fine enough, graphix or definition or whatever isn't a very important factor for me when it comes to gaming, gamplay and funfactor is what is important.

?It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution],"

Wow and you guys are dropping the Rev it like a hot potato because he said we don't know if/when we will support it.

I really couldnt care less about HD... my tv isn't hd, and i won't be getting any hd tvs any soon... ever i think

Bleh my normal tv looks fine enough, graphix or definition or whatever isn't a very important factor for me when it comes to gaming, gamplay and funfactor is what is important.

586048023[/snapback]

thats my take on this, been playing games on regular TV and they look great, so HD comes along and now we all have to have it now. I understand that it will be the norm soon but that doesnt mean that the revolution still wont work. Hell not many shows are HD or widescreen but still i see people with there widescreen TV streatching the image to look widescreen and not much of a diffrence unless you got an eagle eye or super anal. So no HD still not a big 'big' deal. To not buy a Revolution just because it wont have HD sounds silly, hell it your choice.

in the link it says that "Microsoft is requiring that all titles on the console output in both 720p and 1080i", they still will support regular TV i hope, hate to think that people will have to get a new TV just to play it, that would be stupid.

But wasnt there talk about the revolution letting you hook it up to a monitor?