No High Definition in Revolution: Nintendo

I really dont care about HD. If you're basing your purchase off of if a console has HD or not, you shouldn't haven even had the revolution on your list in the first place.

It's kind of bad news in a sense. However, I don't think it'll make much of a difference. For me, it's just saving myself the $1200 I was planning to possibly spend on a HD just to get the full experience. But keep in mind that she might be reffering to the really high ones, like 1080. If the gamecube supported 480, the revolution SHOULD support at least that much, if not more, cause of backward compatibility with GCN.

EDIT: And I personally think both Sony and MS are pushing so much the HD stuff to sell their other products (HD TV's for Sony and Media centers for MS).

If dropping HD meant cutting costs by 50-75 dollars, what would you people think then? You guys have to remember that when the Next-Gen consoles hit, not everyone is going to be able to drop 300+ dollars to buy one. Nintendo knows this, and they're trying different ways to appeal to the niche crowds. One crowd doesn't make much of a difference, but when you factor in several, the results start to add up.

If just about every home in America owned an HDTV, I could see this as bad, but christ, not even half the US has broadband yet (someone told me that the other day). You guys realize that despite the Gamecube's slow sales, they've had rising profits the entire time? On top of a 99 dollar console that can pump out graphics that rival the best Xbox and PS2 games (RE4 for example)?

Nintendo doesn't need world domination as long as they have increased profits, which is a key reason why Microsoft lost a billion dollars on the Xbox. I see them as playing it smart, not stupid.

Not to mention that I have almost no doubts that Nintendo will come up with some of the most innovative and fun titles out of all three consoles. That's like Nintendo's motto: Games over Graphics.

Cut em a little slack.

Not the end of the world people :p.

It's all about the games people, THE GAMES!! :ninja:

586048135[/snapback]

Mmhmm. I dont think Im going to be bothered if I cant see Mario's pores.

This choice, if it stands, will go down in history as Nintendo's dumbest move ever.

HD may not be in half of the homes in America now, and some of you may not own them, but what about in 2 years? 4 years? What about when HD is big, when you ALL own one, and when the consoles hit the point in their lifetimes when the most sales typically roll in. What about then, how will Revolution do amidst all that?

No. I usually defend their other moves because there is some logic to them. This choice is undefendable. There is simply no reason to NOT support it. It does not cost $50-$75 to add HD support, it wouldn't even cost $10.

I'm not ruling out buying one, just because I love Nintendo games so much and we still haven't seen the major part of the Revolution yet - the controller. But I'm definately not preordering the unit as soon as possible now, at this point I'll be waiting for the first price drop if I get one at all.

Well, I guess this is just another piece of "information" that we'll have to wait for rock solid details for. It is a shame if Nintendo technically limit the revolution to only be able to output to 480p. I mean even the PS2 could go as far as 1080i

What does 480p look like upscaled to fill a HD panel then? Because when I get my HD panel, the Rev won't be the only 480p content being played on it, I've got hundreds of DVDs that are limited to 480p and they're not going anywhere fast.

If dropping HD meant cutting costs by 50-75 dollars, what would you people think then? You guys have to remember that when the Next-Gen consoles hit, not everyone is going to be able to drop 300+ dollars to buy one. Nintendo knows this, and they're trying different ways to appeal to the niche crowds. One crowd doesn't make much of a difference, but when you factor in several, the results start to add up.

If just about every home in America owned an HDTV, I could see this as bad, but christ, not even half the US has broadband yet (someone told me that the other day). You guys realize that despite the Gamecube's slow sales, they've had rising profits the entire time? On top of a 99 dollar console that can pump out graphics that rival the best Xbox and PS2 games (RE4 for example)?

Nintendo doesn't need world domination as long as they have increased profits, which is a key reason why Microsoft lost a billion dollars on the Xbox. I see them as playing it smart, not stupid.

Not to mention that I have almost no doubts that Nintendo will come up with some of the most innovative and fun titles out of all three consoles. That's like Nintendo's motto: Games over Graphics.

Cut em a little slack.

586048085[/snapback]

they've had rising profits because of Pokemon and handheld sales, that's it. people don't understand how bad the gamecube is truly doing compared to the comp and how much the GBA/DS are propping up the company.

Nintendo needs to stop thinking about only itself when it develops games and think about 3rd parties. i'm sure there are plenty of 3rd party developers who want to make their games in high-def, but they'll be less inclined to develop for Nintend now cause they can't make their games in high-def.

I realise that their portable range is profitable as hell, but they make money from their console segment as well. They make money on the hardware unlike MS and they've sold a millions of Gamecubes.

I realise that their portable range is profitable as hell, but they make money from their console segment as well. They make money on the hardware unlike MS and they've sold a millions of Gamecubes.

586048455[/snapback]

yeah, they do make profit on the console, but not as much as people would think it is, and it doesn't contribute as much to the overall pie as it really should be. they've sold millions of consoles to date, but there are periods here in the States where the sales of gamecube software and hardware is just a joke.

I'm buying a revolution :)

I don't care about HD, as i'm not getting a HD Tv anytime soon.

also, people saying about how will the revolution macth up in 2 to 4 years,

well expect the next nintendo console to be due a year or so later.

I think it's sad that people arn't going to buy the revolution just because it might not have HD surpport.

the point is the games, not how big your ego.. er resolution is.

Ouch. They just keep shooting themselves in the foot with this one. Not that I personally care, but a lot of people out there will.

Plus from developer standpoint, it just makes things so much less attractive. Nintendo has what looks to be a vastly inferior product on the tech side (I know the final specs haven't been released). Wtih the 360 and ps3, it will be easy to develop games for both of them because they are about the same power. Having a console so much less powerful than the others is only going to make the devs make less games for it. The 360 and ps3 will get all the top titles from devs, while the Revolution will just get some dummed down versions (if it's lucky), or a few niche games.

Edited by Ji@nBing

yeah, they do make profit on the console, but not as much as people would think it is, and it doesn't contribute as much to the overall pie as it really should be.  they've sold millions of consoles to date, but there are periods here in the States where the sales of gamecube software and hardware is just a joke.

586048484[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I agree, but if there's one thing Nintendo knows well (apart from ****ing off their loyal fanbase) it's how to make money. Another thing is what about companies making cross platform titles, the Rev version is going to be vastly inferior. They're not going to bother taking advantage of the added visual quality they can get by dropping the res, they'll just downscale what they already have. Titles like these are really going to show up Rev.

I like the way people only mention HDTV sets in America. HDTV is a fairly big deal over in the US, but over here in Europe, most people have never even heard of it. So while you Americans are saying it's a stupid move, etc, it really isn't going to affect the vast, vast majority of european gamers who planned on getting a Revolution since HDTVs are few and far between here.

The european market is pretty big for Nintendo too, you know.

That is a dumb move from Nintendo. Remember this is the company that decided to go with cartridges instead of cd-roms a generation ago. Imagine how your games will look on a hdtv at 4:3 aspect ratio. Thumbs down.

Oh yeah, I agree, but if there's one thing Nintendo knows well (apart from ****ing off their loyal fanbase) it's how to make money. Another thing is what about companies making cross platform titles, the Rev version is going to be vastly inferior. They're not going to bother taking advantage of the added visual quality they can get by dropping the res, they'll just downscale what they already have. Titles like these are really going to show up Rev.

586048495[/snapback]

yeah IGN mentenioned this in their write-up. This all just seems like Nintendo cheapness to me. If Nintendo the company doesn't want to support HD in their games, that's one thing, but don't automatically cut that option out limiting what 3rd party developers can do on your system. 3rd party support is going to make or break the Rev and if Nintendo keeps trying to doom it before it even starts then things won't look too good for them.

I like the way people only mention HDTV sets in America.  HDTV is a fairly big deal over in the US, but over here in Europe, most people have never even heard of it.  So while you Americans are saying it's a stupid move, etc, it really isn't going to affect the vast, vast majority of european gamers who planned on getting a Revolution since HDTVs are few and far between here.

The european market is pretty big for Nintendo too, you know.

586048507[/snapback]

:yes:

Yes they always think they are the only people in the world.

Here in Mexico is quite expensive to buy an HDTV and even with an HDTV there are only a few channels you can watch in cable (BTW expensive too) so no big deal.

Isn't HD very widespread in Japan? I remember watching a prog on TV and they said that they've had HD channels and HDTVs since 1992. Obviously it wasn't as good as it is now, but still I'm sure they've had enough time to know a lot more about it. I only found out what HD was at the beginning of 2004 :blink: :unsure:

And another thing, since when did Mexico have HD channels? Here in the UK we're getting HD channels in 2006 :angry:

Besides you won't even be able to tell the difference if you use a s-video cable.

586047982[/snapback]

:rofl: Of course you can't tell the difference...if you have 20/200 vision

586048085[/snapback]

Even if it meant dropping $75 more dollars, which it wouldn't, I'd be up for it. After dropping $$$ on the HDTV and an insane amount on a matching satellite reciever, $75 for HDTV games is the last worry in my mind. I just don't see the reasoning behind not atleast somewhat supporting the format.

Reason(s) i didnt buy gamcube - Uglyness (at the time, just purple), shape - i cant fit it in my home theatre rack - games.. fine, i would have liked to play the zelda, but otherwise they didnt have the game base xbox seemed to have... too cartoony

they've had rising profits because of Pokemon and handheld sales, that's it.  people don't understand how bad the gamecube is truly doing compared to the comp and how much the GBA/DS are propping up the company.

Nintendo needs to stop thinking about only itself when it develops games and think about 3rd parties.  i'm sure there are plenty of 3rd party developers who want to make their games in high-def, but they'll be less inclined to develop for Nintend now cause they can't make their games in high-def.

586048446[/snapback]

Agreed and this is also re-affirms my belief that Nintendo needs to remove itself from the hardware (console not portable) business and just make games. If you're going to do something, then do it right, quit cutting corners and then telling everyone that people don't care about this or want that. Thats what you think Nintendo, not us!

Its funny to see the hardcore Nintendo fans justify this as a good thing :rofl:

Revolution is a next generation console with an expected life span of atleast 4-5 years. HD is not the big thing right now but dont you think you will end up with a dinosaur of a console after a year ? Hell Revolution is slated for mid 2006, HD will be more accepted that it is right now.

Yet they can spot the difference in quality between SD & HD. They tend to notice difference in the most subtle of areas and this is huge.

586048016[/snapback]

You do realize most kids are not as technologically versed as you would make them see. I work with kids in the age range of 10 - 14 all the time and I guarantee you this won't have an ounce of impact on their decision.

:rofl: Of course you can't tell the difference...if you have 20/200 vision

586049312[/snapback]

I hope you're kidding.

You people are quite quick to jump the boat. Just wait until some final specs are out.

God a lot of people need better things to do rather thasn comment on none existing things.

I personaky won't be buying the Revolution, unless it's quite cheap, like the current PS2's. I might get it just to own it, but I'll stick to hating the XBox 2 or 3, whatever they want to calling it. Microsoft needs to stick to making programs and OS's. I'm starting to get tired of this world.

Please don't comment on my opinions, I don't need to ba called a troll or annoying. I just get annoyed here by constant complaint and debate over products that aren't yet available. Is "grow up" a good term?