No High Definition in Revolution: Nintendo

I don't quite agree with your statement. What games do you think own all? I own a cube and I can say from experience that every 1st party game I used to love has completely let me down. I'm not counting Zelda as I don't care for it. The biggest problem I've seen is that they're farming alot of my favorite games.

F-Zero - Developed by Sega. - Sega makes great games, but they screwed this up good. Amazing gfx and speed are hindered by lousy music and cheating cpu favored AI that stinks of Sega's arcade ways. In fact they made this for the arcade but called it AX instead of GX. F-Zero on N64 blew this game away. Its gfx were nothing to write home about, but it had speed and good gameplay. You could win on skill not luck. After getting over the GCs gfx, GX went back into the cd case and hasn't seen light since....

StarFox Adventures - Developed by RARE - Someone explain too me why they decided to take a perfectly good space shooter and make it an adventure game? Its not what fans wanted and it was just more of the same platform/adventure crap RARE had churned out many times before. No thanks....

StarFox - Developed by Namco - Namco is a great developer and I thought I'd finally see a real Starfox game. Scratch that one, buddy. Hello! no one wants to get out of the ship!!! Tank vehicle sucked cause of the slow fire rate.

Metroid - Developed by Studios - Mediocre first person shooter with good gfx and repetitive, maddeningly frustrating difficulty caused by awful controls. 2D metroid was all bout exploring and bactracking, but the backtracking part doesn't work too well in a shooter of this type.  Regenerating enemies and Having to completely stop and hit a button to look around was the nail in the coffin for me.

These games on the surface have the Nintendo look, but fall short of their quality in terms of gameplay. These games are the reason I bought a cube and all failed me. My cube has collected dust for 1.5 years and looks to continue the trend. People may disagree with me, but its how I feel. This is definitely not the Nintendo I grew up with!

586050551[/snapback]

I have to agree there. Nintendo's first party titles are the ones that're supposed to keep me playing my GC, but the same quality just isn't there. I had to force myself to like Metroid Prime, and didn't even MP2 a go. Every first party title besides Animal Crossing, Wind Waker (but not enough for me to get excited over the next Zelda coming out, the only thing looking good on the GC's horzion), and Super Smash Bros. let me down.

Gamecube's exclusive third-party titles is what kept the system out of my closet. MGS:TT, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness (even though SK was second-party at the time), Viewtiful Joe (exclusive at the time), Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, etc.

Edited by Acezo

especially to the people without hdtvs. which makes up a large percent of the population. and, those with them often don't even know how to utilize it.

You are right but your point is valid right NOW, will it be the same when Revolution launches next year ?

586050588[/snapback]

At the current pace of HD adoption in the average American household, I believe my point will still be very valid. I was teaching a 5th grade class at the time of the PSP's release and the ONLY reason the kids wanted it was because it "looked so cool". They could care less for all the additional technological advancements over other offerings.

Odd that they would not include a HDTV option, but I guess if they are going to use old games it would be hard to strech them to such high resolutions.

At the current pace of HD adoption in the average American household, I believe my point will still be very valid. I was teaching a 5th grade class at the time of the PSP's release and the ONLY reason the kids wanted it was because it "looked so cool". They could care less for all the additional technological advancements over other offerings.

586050605[/snapback]

The word High-Definition sounds cool. So what's your point? If they are advertising High-Definition graphics those kids aren't gonna care or know if they have a High-Definition TV (I bet that a lot of people who have hdtvs don't even bother receiving hd cable or satellite channels let alone buy expensive cables for their consoles), the kids are gonna care about how great advertisements and word of mouth tell them High-Definition graphics look. They will plug it into their regular or hd tvs with regular composite cables and say "What kickass HD graphics" not knowing a thing about how to get HD to function or even what it is. They probably won't even give the revolution the time of day because they will immediately view it as having inferior graphics just because it doesn't say it can do HD.

Odd that they would not include a HDTV option, but I guess if they are going to use old games it would be hard to strech them to such high resolutions.

586050678[/snapback]

Just because a console supports HD doesn't mean that it has to output in it. Old games would just output in 480i or 480i/p (if they are gcn games).

586050678[/snapback]

They wouldn't have to stretch, just box em in.

I am disappointed that they may not have HD support, but perhaps they are going for a different market than the xbox 360 or ps3. Not everyone can drop $300+ on a console. Those same people probably don't have HD TVs. So why inflate the price supporting a technology that most of their target market doesn't have anyway?

I know that I am one of those people. I can't afford a $300 console, HDTV, or a subscribtion gameplay service. So right now Revolution looks like the console I will be getting if I have the money for it.

Perhaps Nintendo is doing the right thing by letting sony and microsoft duke it out for the high price market and aiming their console more at the average joe.

Like I said, to the average gamer, especially the kids, HD isn't important.

586050576[/snapback]

[i'm not a kid]

i won't be using HD for a good few years. Mainly because in the UK it'll be a few thousand ? for a decent size.

but i think it's good to know that ps3 and xbox360 have catered for the future. kids may not care now, but in 5 years time, they probably will (although there'll probably be another console by then).

this might hurt nintendo.... IF EVERYONE OWNED A DAMN HD-TV!! as of me, i would still get it, becuase i dont own a hd-tv, like the other 80% of america.

586049719[/snapback]

just cause you dont have one dosent mean i should be disabled on the HDTV i paid for nor the money im going to fork out for a NEW Nex-Gen system.... i understand where you coming from but in sense

its bottom line

nintendo is cheaping out!!! sure it woudl cost more but i guarentee that when the revolution comes out they charge they same amount for the games even though it cost less to dev

right nintendo???

does this mean are games will be cheaper???

didnt think so

[i'm not a kid]

i won't be using HD for a good few years. Mainly because in the UK it'll be a few thousand ? for a decent size.

but i think it's good to know that ps3 and xbox360 have catered for the future. kids may not care now, but in 5 years time, they probably will (although there'll probably be another console by then).

586050743[/snapback]

DLP TVs (Which I think are the probably best) are cheap compared to Plasma/LCD.

Plus, all DLPs I've seen have 720p standard. They're around ?1.5k-2.5k for 46-56".

Anyway, I agree that Nintendo are making a mistake if this is true and it will be sad to see them leave the console market...

this might hurt nintendo.... IF EVERYONE OWNED A DAMN HD-TV!! as of me, i would still get it, becuase i dont own a hd-tv, like the other 80% of america.

586049719[/snapback]

just cause you dont have one dosent mean i should be disabled on the HDTV i paid for nor the money im going to fork out for a NEW Nex-Gen system.... i understand where you coming from but in sense

its bottom line

nintendo is cheaping out!!! sure it woudl cost more but i guarentee that when the revolution comes out they charge they same amount for the games even though it cost less to dev

right nintendo???

does this mean are games will be cheaper???

didnt think so

putting HD in revolution isn't going to make mario look like a real man

with that said, it's a little disappointment, but the games that nintendo is generally popular for (mario/zelda/pokemon etc, i think so long as the game play is smooth, it would still be a lot of fun. esp. if the cost is substantially lower than the other consoles.

Just because you have HD doesntr mean Nintendo should be developing the console for you. (I personally wish it was more powerfull in many regards mind you, including HD)

Perhaps Nintendo is doing the right thing by letting sony and microsoft duke it out for the high price market and aiming their console more at the average joe.
Theres one large flaw in this arguement that I've noticed the last month and that is Revolutions is arriving approximatly 12 months after the XBox. Xbox will be substantially reduced from its launch price comming into its SECOND christmas season. Not only that I wouldnt be suprised if there was a price drop around the time of the Playstation release. So although no HD may cut cost, that wont necessarily mean that it will be the cheapest console available since it's arriving so late.

In terms of Games I really hope nintendo gets its act together. Since 1997 (N64 launch?) weve seen 2 flagship mario games and one donkey kong game. These two series alone sold the SNES and its rediculous to think that they havent tapped these two series (despite spin offs like mario rpg and DK bongo). mario kart too hasnt had much released for it. With the N64 and then later Game cube we were promised a second mario, Shirigato Miyamoto was quoted in saying Mario Sunshine wasnt the revolutionary mario, and that that would be released on the game cube later then it outright disapeared. I mean the games are good but we are only seeing the major names every 4 - 5 years when it really wouild make us happier to see them more and would probably push nintendo as a competitor.

I like the way people only mention HDTV sets in America.  HDTV is a fairly big deal over in the US, but over here in Europe, most people have never even heard of it.

586048507[/snapback]

Here in Mexico is quite expensive to buy an HDTV and even with an HDTV there are only a few channels you can watch in cable (BTW expensive too) so no big deal.

586049179[/snapback]

I think you can say in all latin-america it's not really an issue, since HD tv's are very prohibitive to buy at the moment and will continue to be for at least the next 4 years or so
Reason(s) i didnt buy gamcube - Uglyness (at the time, just purple), shape - i cant fit it in my home theatre rack - games.. fine, i would have liked to play the zelda, but otherwise they didnt have the game base xbox seemed to have... too cartoony

586049356[/snapback]

Are my eyes cheating me, or are you seriously saying the XBOX has a better game base than GCN? I would have understand if you said PS2, but XBOX? DO they have anything other than Halo (Not even so great IMHO) ?
I don't quite agree with your statement. What games do you think own all? I own a cube and I can say from experience that every 1st party game I used to love has completely let me down. I'm not counting Zelda as I don't care for it. The biggest problem I've seen is that they're farming alot of my favorite games.

F-Zero - Developed by Sega. - Sega makes great games, but they screwed this up good. Amazing gfx and speed are hindered by lousy music and cheating cpu favored AI that stinks of Sega's arcade ways. In fact they made this for the arcade but called it AX instead of GX. F-Zero on N64 blew this game away. Its gfx were nothing to write home about, but it had speed and good gameplay. You could win on skill not luck. After getting over the GCs gfx, GX went back into the cd case and hasn't seen light since....

Metroid - Developed by Retro Studios - Mediocre first person shooter with good gfx and repetitive, maddeningly frustrating difficulty caused by awful controls. 2D metroid was all bout exploring and bactracking, but the backtracking part doesn't work too well in a shooter of this type.  Regenerating enemies and Having to completely stop and hit a button to look around was the nail in the coffin for me.

586050551[/snapback]

Whatever drugs you're doing at the moment, plz for your own health, quit them, as they have completely took away from you the hability to see things clearly. Those are 2 of the best games for ANY system in the market, not just my opinion, but of every self-respecting critic out there

That is a dumb move from Nintendo.  Remember this is the company that decided to go with cartridges instead of cd-roms a generation ago. Imagine how your games will look on a hdtv at 4:3 aspect ratio. Thumbs down.

586048511[/snapback]

give me no load time and unscratchable games any day over cds

im getting a revolution and i cant wait :laugh:

give me no load time and unscratchable games any day over cds

im getting a revolution and i cant wait  :laugh:

586052211[/snapback]

My thinking exactly, people focus on the negative side of things instead of the positive. The glass is half-full, you know

If nintendo fails. they will become like Sega. which will be sad

586052224[/snapback]

Actually I think there would be a higher chance of them failing IF they followed what the competition is doing just because. That's what Sega did that time with DC. Have you considered the posibility of both Sony and XBOX failing, due to high prices, high development costs, and people realizing a game can only have so many sequels without some real innovation, or is that completely out of the picture cause "Ohhh, it's Microsoft and Sony !!!"?? If that were to happen, than the Revolution would be the winning system, cause it's the opposite of them.

Anyway, I don't care if people can't see the big picture and continue to buy stuff just by hype. All I know is that Nintendo stands for what it believes, and most of the time they are right, even if people fail to see it.

Like I said, nothing will keep Nintendo fans from buying it :rofl:

Reminds of this quote:

Steve Jobs has one hell of a sweet deal though. Apple fans have my utmost respect. No, really it is true. They are so damn dedicated. Never before have I seen a group of people so staunchedly defend a product. Infact I am willing to bet Apple could probably market and release crap. A turd. Hell it could even come in 5 fruity flavors. Berry, orange, lemon, lime and tangerine. Let's for arguments sake call it the iTurd and undoubtedly you guys would buy it. Slap an apple logo on it and BOOYA!!! You'll be all over it like flies on the proverbial cow pat.....

Revoluturd anyone ? :D In terms of blind faith:

Nintendo fans > Apple elitists

Theres one large flaw in this arguement that I've noticed the last month and that is Revolutions is arriving approximatly 12 months after the XBox. Xbox will be substantially reduced from its launch price comming into its SECOND christmas season. Not only that I wouldnt be suprised if there was a price drop around the time of the Playstation release. So although no HD may cut cost, that wont necessarily mean that it will be the cheapest console available since it's arriving so late.

I was under the impression that console prices drop because the technology becomes easier to produce in time. Easier production means less cost which gets passed on to the consumer in the case of colsoles. By that token just because the Revolutions will be released later doesn't mean it will be more expensive because the technology becomes cheaper for everyone, not just Microsoft or Sony. And we already know that Nintendo is good at providing similar power with a lower price.

I would be extremely shocked if the Revolution was over $200, my guess is it will be launching at $199 or less, especially if my theory about Nintendo going for a differnt market is right, and I really doubt the Xbox or PS3 will be down that low by that time unless they are doing the selling for less than it costs to make one thing again.

Reason(s) i didnt buy gamcube - Uglyness (at the time, just purple)

586049356[/snapback]

It was available in black from the first day on.

At the current pace of HD adoption in the average American household, I believe my point will still be very valid.

586050605[/snapback]

According to the IGN story in 2003 2.7% of American households had equipment to view HD programming, by 2004 that jumped to 4.4%. As of right now the numbers put it at 12.5%. This is an exponential curve here. The current pace puts it at being in 50% of households within just a couple years.

Edited by Danrarbc641

Perrin Kaplan is a fecking moron. (excuse the bypass)

First he said that the Rev would only be 2-3 more powerful then the GC, which Nintendo later said was false.

Now he said that they won't support HD. (and he was dodgy about that too.)

He's trying to stir up a bee's nest, I swear to god he is.

By the way repeatedly it has been said by Nintendo (since Kaplan's dumbass comment) that the Rev will be matching the PS3 and 360 in power. Chances are if they said that, it will definitely be in HD.

However there is still one thing to be dealt with, we have not seen the Revolutions controlling device, and Satoru Iwata at E3 said it will have CONTROLLERS (plural) and we may even be viewing games on the controller, instead of conventional television which may be why Kaplan said that, so literally folks, we still don't know.

I was under the impression that console prices drop because the technology becomes easier to produce in time. Easier production means less cost which gets passed on to the consumer in the case of colsoles. By that token just because the Revolutions will be released later doesn't mean it will be more expensive because the technology becomes cheaper for everyone, not just Microsoft or Sony. And we already know that Nintendo is good at providing similar power with a lower price.

I would be extremely shocked if the Revolution was over $200, my guess is it will be launching at $199 or less, especially if my theory about Nintendo going for a differnt market is right, and I really doubt the Xbox or PS3 will be down that low by that time unless they are doing the selling for less than it costs to make one thing again.

586052418[/snapback]

well competition also drives prices and Microsoft have shown they are prepared to take a hit in the hardware department. Also the manufacturing cost of the Xbox will have gone down after 12 months since as with anything it cost more to make it initially as you are covering setup cost ect. I have no doubt Nintendo is aiming for that market either, I just wonder if they are arriving a little to late and by then if Xbox ect wont be able to offer similar prices, especially if they are prepared to make a loss on hardware.

Out of interest I wonder if arriving later on the scene will mean nintendo will have quite a strong launch range due to alot of games being ported over fairly quickly on or close to the revolutions release. heh in AUS N64 launched with only 3 titles.

Are my eyes cheating me, or are you seriously saying the XBOX has a better game base than GCN? I would have understand if you said PS2, but XBOX? DO they have anything other than Halo (Not even so great IMHO) ?

It's stupid to say the only good Xbox game is Halo, and stupider to make a statement like that and then ask if there's anything better then Halo. That argument was pretty good back around December 2001 :sleep:

Whatever drugs you're doing at the moment, plz for your own health, quit them, as they have completely took away from you the hability to see things clearly. Those are 2 of the best games for ANY system in the market, not just my opinion, but of every self-respecting critic out there

I can understand Metroid, but F-Zero? Best game on any system? That game had a whole bunch of hype that lasted a few weeks after it's release. Ask what are the best games of this generation and I'm sure F-Zero is among the forgotten. I wasted my money on the title and can safely say it's a game I'd love to leave on the shelf.