SD content on flat panels

I went and checked out some TVs today, the main reason was I wanted to see what SD stuff would look like on a 1366*768 LCD panel.

I checked out 2 types of panels, Plasmas which were all less then that and LCDs, all of which were at 1366*768. The sources were DVD via component in 576p and Sky digital which is 480i (I think, or 576i?).

Anyway, suffice to say the difference was pretty big. Sky on a 42" plasma looked far clearer then on a 32" LCD. Now I realise this is because the panel resolution is lower than the LCD but HDTV from Sky is a good solid year away and all my DVDs are going to be 480p and 576p at best.

I don't really know what my question is, but is the upscaling of content that bad on all LCD TVs? I checked out Phillips, Samsung, LG and JVC; they all seemed to struggle to make it look decent :/ DVDs weren't as bad, 576p running on a 32" LCD looked pretty nice, and the colours were certainly a hell of a lot better than the plasmas I was comparing it to.

Did you try any Sharp lcds? Maybe they have better scalars in them. I have always been shocked at how horrendous phillips lcd tvs look in stores so I'm not surprised you didn't find them appealing. Also, samsung is not famous for their ability to scale signals as well as other brands. And on a personal note I have never been impressed with samsung's lcd line and don't care for the DNIe (it causes a lot of weird artifacts and color problems ie it hurts more than it fixes). The only lcd tv line that has impressed me at all has been the sharp aqous line. Although you might want to put off getting a sharp aquous until the end of the year or look into when they are putting the new 4 color ccfl backlights into the line. I know that the 65" model has the new backlight, but they recently showed a 37" model that had it aswell. So you might want to wait for that to appear on the market.

But if you absolutely cannot wait for that, then maybe look into the 32" and 37" sharp aquous lcds (and even the 45" since I hear they have a firmware fix now for the clayface issues). Now take this with a grain of salt since I have never seen an aquos that wasn't on an hd feed, but I have played ps2 games on the 40" samsung and was horrified. So hopefully since imho the sharp lcds offer a better picture than the samsungs in hd, they also offer better scaling hardware and software. Goodluck on your search for a tv that suits your needs.

Have a 37" Plasma here (Panasonic TH-37PX50U) and it's quite amazing compared to other's that I've seen as well as some LCDs side by side.? Just a little input.

586055784[/snapback]

Seeing as how he already asked about plasmas in another thread I think that he decided that lcd was the best technology for his needs. So I don't think he will want a 37" plasma even if it has better picture quality than an lcd. The care required for plasmas aren't for everyone, heh.

Sorry, didn't see that. Wait a sec, what care are you talking about (You mean making sure there aren't bars/stuck images, or is there something else I should be doing with mine as well?)

I think these guys are all about 4 cans short of a six pack in my opinion. I have a 50inch sony XBR plasma and it requires no maintenance at all other than dusting it off once in a while lol. And picture quality is 10 times better than any LCD out there. Even if he's not looking for a plasma! So there. :happy:

Sorry, didn't see that.  Wait a sec, what care are you talking about (You mean making sure there aren't bars/stuck images, or is there something else I should be doing with mine as well?)

586055808[/snapback]

The break-in period, having to stretch 4:3 content to avoid uneven phosphor wear, turning down the brightness and contrast, etc. I don't have time to say anymore, studying for finals at the moment, bleh :(. I am sure you are fine though, the problems with image retention and burn-in that I hear about usually come from people who abused there display during the break-in period anyway.

My DirecTV/TiVo looks very pixelated on my roommate's 42" Sony LCD through S-Video. The picture is much better on my 26" Toshiba CRT, but still not as good as a 4:3 analog TV. An HDTV will only magnify any image deficiencies.

SD content is always gonna suck on an HD display. a lot of plasmas aren't HD though, so you have to be careful of what you are comparing.

you can upconvert all you want, but if the source isn't good, there isn't much you can do.

Yeah. The worst feed any future panel I get will have is Sky+ (digital satellite) via RGB scart (far, far better than S-Video), middle of the road being 480p/576p via component from a DVD player and the best being 720p from a X360.

I'm heading round a friends dads house for a soon, he's got a Sony LCD. That's fed by similar sources, I'll check that out. Setups in town centres are never really a good judge.

My DirecTV/TiVo looks very pixelated on my roommate's 42" Sony LCD through S-Video.  The picture is much better on my 26" Toshiba CRT, but still not as good as a 4:3 analog TV.  An HDTV will only magnify any image deficiencies.

586058493[/snapback]

LCD Projection.......and please tell me that box isn't permanently connected that way. If so, why? Why spend 2 grand on a TV then hook up a crappy source?

LCD Projection.......and please tell me that box isn't permanently connected that way. If so, why? Why spend 2 grand on a TV then hook up a crappy source?

586060564[/snapback]

Are you sure its rp lcd? Sony does make a 42" lcd btw. It's the KDL-42XBR950 and it lists for 10 grand on sony's website.

Are you sure its rp lcd?  Sony does make a 42" lcd btw.  It's the KDL-42XBR950 and it lists for 10 grand on sony's website.

586060687[/snapback]

Well, it's more of an assumption more than anything. Either way, why?