earthquake!

Singapore is so boring. Haha.

No earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, cyclones..

Heck, we don't even have 4 seasons, haha. It's hot, hot, hot and oooo rain. Haha.

don't they say dogs start barking a lot before one hits?

586056375[/snapback]

Yea that's what I thought too.

Something about the A, B, and C "waves" that hit when an earthquake happens. A is some low frequency noise that dogs supposedly can hear and don't like, then there's B, and then C hit which deal the damage, but A's travel way faster.

If that's what I remember..I think...

wow, I hope this wasn't a warning of things to come, but of course I'm sure that your region gets plenty of earthquakes all the time.

I'd definatley be securing all my breakable things, chances are that you wont have another one, but its better to be prepared, rather then sorry.

I remember in 1989 we had an earthquake here in Newcastle, it was only 5.5, yet it felt much worse. Later on it was revealed that the mining underground had amplified the earthquake. It only went for a few seconds, but it felt like a few minutes.

At the time I was only 7 years old, I remember being inside the house, by the time it finished we all ran outside, and I was too scared to go into the house afterwards.

What I found interesting was how there were 2 kinds of shake, it started with a gentle rumbling, but built up into a up / down kind of shake, but then half way through it changed and it started shaking backwards and forwards.

Did you notice that with the quake that you had today?

586056645[/snapback]

those are called P and S waves. i don't remember which is which, but one is a rolling effect and the other is shifts sideways. i dont' know what this one was since it woke me up. sometimes you get one type and sometimes you get both.

on jah side!  :)

Seriously, if you find your bed getting airborn lol. Stand under the closest door jam or under a solid desk. Running out in the middle of the street screaming omg, omg not a good idea.

586056698[/snapback]

i got a t-shirt w/ the lion it and its glow in the dark :cool:

yep... always stand under the door... holding my monitor and PC ;)

no it was an earthquake.. well it depends, people here dont use the word tremors.

the "big one" is called an earth quake/quake and the small ones that follow are called after shocks. i've never heard the term tremor being used.

Experienced a small earthquake on the Greek island of Kefalonia a couple of years back. Pretty weird considering I'm from the UK (we're not near any earthquake zones), but apparently they get them all the time. I was in a restaurant looking out onto the street at the time. You could spot the Brits a mile off - they all stopped or screamed, and all the Greeks were carrying on as if nothing was happening :laugh:

I live in Southern California and we just had a Short hard jolt. I live on a 2nd story and I almost fell over when I was walking into my office. Had tons of stuff fall over.

5.3 Magnatude they just said on the news.

Yeah...I live in Riverside and just felt the 5.3 quake...hell...it shook my 21 inch flatpanel monitor. Had to save the monitor from tipping over!

woohoo! just felt my #2 earthquake. no injuries or damage. centered in yucaipa. 3rd "semi" major quake in the past 4 days.

The UK does have some seismic activity, although admittedly not on the same scale as say the west coast of USA or Japan.

http://www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk/hazard/seismap2.gif

Dunno what you'll make of this; when I went to my bed on 25th Dec. last year I had a premonition - it struck me out of the blue that there would be an earthquake in the near future and that it would be *somewhere* in Asia. So (sadly), it came as no great surprise to see the headlines on BBC news on Boxing Day morning.

Was in class when this happened. It felt like someone is kicking my chair. So i ignored. Then everyone felt the same thing, and we realized it was an earthquake. After all those earthquake drill practices, no one followed them. We all just laughed. :)