I Can't Love Linux

msg43
I haven't tried Linux in recent times...but one of the major problems is the large number of apps that ship on a Linux distro CD.:x Sure that is a major point put forward...you get tonnes of apps...but if anybody does a default install he ends up with lots of submenus filled with weird names in errr..."start menu" that don't make any sense. I am staying away from Linux because as of now IMO Windows is far better to use + Linux needs some serious work to evolve a good UI.

(I must admit I haven't used any Linux distro in recent times...only a Ubuntu Live CD but the screenshots keep me from trying anything)  :unsure:

586068773[/snapback]

I think Ubuntu is pretty low on a programs. I pretty sure it give you gnome, xchat, gaim, and a few other programs mainly what defaults with gnome and some config tools.

Distro's Like Suse and Fedora that are dvd or 4-5discs contian so much crap its not funny

Packet1009

i have been concerned with the possibility of running linux in a corporate environment and so far, i havent found a best fit. people dont want to learn something new - and to force it upon them, just lessens productivity - despite issues regarding support.... i'd like to see something new, but i dont see it happening yet and i tire easily of people who have been going 'linux a dominant force on the desktop' since 1997.

and before i get flamed, i -do- run a unix variant (freebsd, actually, but that wont help this discussion) on the desktop alongwith my other windows rigs :)

having said that, will there be a decent unix on the desktop?

eventually, yes... os x may work out as a surprising contender - if the entire being able to run on intel deal pans out properly.

trying to find a cheap-as-heck sparcbook...

Edited by Packet1009
h3xis
I think Ubuntu is pretty low on a programs. I pretty sure it give you gnome, xchat, gaim, and a few other programs mainly what defaults with gnome and some config tools.

Distro's Like Suse and Fedora that are dvd or 4-5discs contian so much crap its not funny

ummm you complain about the lack of programs on ubuntu and then turn around and say rpm based distros have too many? the reason they do this is to make things easier on you. none of it is "crap". i'm on dial-up and would rather get one of my friends with a broadband connection to download a 4-5 disc distro fully loaded with apps so that i don't have to waste time waiting for things to download once i got it set up on my system.

midway40
Please don't troll.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=330266

586061343[/snapback]

I don't think this person ("Tried Mepis") was trolling, at least not intentionally. Insurektion wrote "I cant get Quicktime to play,The Music Player keeps dying when I try to load my 8000 something mp3s (all legal of course)." which to me indicated that he was having problems getting his media players installed and working. Mepis has all these players already installed, all you have to do is download w32codecs and you can play just about anything (in fact I have yet to run across something that I couldn't play). Since the person was frustrated and wanting to abandon Linux all together, why not suggest a distro that already has multimedia set up?

Granted, 42n81 could have worded the suggestion different.

markjensen
I don't think this person ("Tried Mepis") was trolling, at least not intentionally.

[snip]

586070123[/snapback]

Yes. It was trolling.

Yes, Mepis has media players installed, but (according to your post, which I have no reason to doubt) you still have to download/install the proper codecs.

So, suggesting to someone that they should give up in solving their player problem, and instead download a whole new distro and install it just to fix a single problem is either a) lunacy, or b) trolling.

No effort was made to solve the existing problem.

CaKeY
you still have to download/install the proper codecs.

One package.

apt-get update

apt-get install W32Codecs

midway40
Yes.  It was trolling.

Yes, Mepis has media players installed, but (according to your post, which I have no reason to doubt) you still have to download/install the proper codecs.

So, suggesting to someone that they should give up in solving their player problem, and instead download a whole new distro and install it just to fix a single problem is either a) lunacy, or b) trolling.

586070162[/snapback]

Ok, sorry about that. I must have read this wrong:

"Of course it is OK to point out valid alternatives, for example "Here's how you can do it in X distro, but have you considered the Y feature of Z distro? It can simplify the process." That would be fine. But straight attacks on a distro are not welcome."

markjensen

My point is that saying to download a whole new distro and install it was not the proper recommendation for a single issue that is unrelated to which distro is used.

MrA
Yes.  It was trolling.

586070162[/snapback]

However, the original poster wasn't asking for help. He asked no question. He was simply ranting about his disatisfaction with linux. And as such, he sparked a discussion about the usability of linux on the desktop. Suggesting to the original poster that he/she should try Mepis was an attempt to inform the poster that there are other (possibly better) alternatives to Ubuntu and that he/she shouldn't give up.

Summary: I don't think the poster that said to try Mepis was trolling.

EDIT: Also note that no-one in this topic attempted to solve his problems (quicktime files not playing and slow mp3 loading).

binkgle

I have a separate 10 gb, unformatted partition that I was going to put ubuntu on. i've done tons of experimenting with livecds and that's the only distro i really liked. however, linux just didn't feel ready for me.

all the music players i saw i didn't like at all (i love itunes' interface, can't get used to winamp style).

support for audio devices is TERRIBLE. i have an sb live! sound card (onboard audio was screwing up internet and making popping noises, that's why i bought this), and there is absolutely no way that i'm gonna go through the hell of getting it to work in ubuntu. there are no good solutinos on any of the forums i've been checking for the past few months (ubuntuforums, linuxquestions, etc).

i can't get used to openoffice. i've even tried it for a week in windows to see if it would grow on me, but any deviations from MSOffice were very difficult for me to wrap my mind around. I love msoffice, and openoffice just isn't up to snuff.

i could easily live without crashes (quite rare anyway), viruses, driver incompatibilities, etc. i could easily live wihtout games. but linux isn't ready for me. hopefully i will be able to get os x for x86 working on my amd machine when it comes out (there will be cracks so that we can install it on non-apple systems, you can be sure)

markjensen
Summary: I don't think the poster that said to try Mepis was trolling.

586070206[/snapback]

I suppose it could be borderline, depending on how you looked at that post.

It certanly was exactly along the lines of "Use Windows". (which would also 'solve' any issues the user had with Linux) ;)

msg43
I have a separate 10 gb, unformatted partition that I was going to put ubuntu on.  i've done tons of experimenting with livecds and that's the only distro i really liked.  however, linux just didn't feel ready for me. 

all the music players i saw i didn't like at all (i love itunes' interface, can't get used to winamp style). 

support for audio devices is TERRIBLE.  i have an sb live! sound card (onboard audio was screwing up internet and making popping noises, that's why i bought this), and there is absolutely no way that i'm gonna go through the hell of getting it to work in ubuntu.  there are no good solutinos on any of the forums i've been checking for the past few months (ubuntuforums, linuxquestions, etc). 

I have audigy soundblaster 2 card that works just fine in linux.

I have it built right into the kernel. More info here http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

You might need to modprobe EMU10K1 or SND_EMU10K1 I'm pretty sure it the first one but like I said i have it bultin which mean it automatically loads no matter what.

i can't get used to openoffice.  i've even tried it for a week in windows to see if it would grow on me, but any deviations from MSOffice were very difficult for me to wrap my mind around.  I love msoffice, and openoffice just isn't up to snuff. 

As for openoffice I"ve never gotten use to it. There is a program called abiword which I use and it is similar to MS word.

midway40

I never try to push Mepis on anyone. The only time I do is on those "What's the Best Distro"-type threads. Distros have personalities like people so whatever matches yours is the best one for you.

What I saw in the post was me 7 months ago and I certainly know the pain of frustration this poster is going through. I went through the same thing on and off for three years whenever I got up the nerve again to try another Linux distro. I was almost certain the poster has already tried to seek help on the Ubuntu forums and knew of w32codecs.

I was also drawing from experience from the Mepis forums where ex-Ubuntu posters who installed Mepis and was amazed that there was no need to set up multimedia programs and even browser integration was already installed. I am not saying Ubuntu is a bad distro, it has certainly helped to increase Linux usage in the population. Most people have no problems installing multimedia apps in Ubuntu but some people do. Maybe a future version will have the same features (after all, all distros and OS's are "works in progress").

As I stated before, the poster who said "Try Mepis" could have worded it different and If I hadn't experienced what I already have, I might have labeled it trolling as well. But it is like you said Mark, it depends on how you look at it. The original poster could have just ran the LiveCD and see if it worked for him. I hate to see someone go back to the Windows world without trying EVERY option.

As to your last statement, I see it more along the lines of "Use Linux". :)

AsciiSmoke

So, back to the topic?

I think we've established so far that people are generally comfortable with Ubuntu.

Alfonz
From my experience a good distro is defined by its package repository. No other distro beats Gentoo's portage system in terms of size and activeness. The open source development model relies on small, more frequent releases and it therefore important to keep your linux system up to date, even bleeding edge, to have the best experience. In fact, linux had H.264 (Quicktime 7) support way before windows, but you needed to have the lastest version of mplayer. The portage system makes it easy to check to see if you have the lastest and greatest.

As easy as Ubuntu, Fedora and Suse are to install, they just don't stack up when it comes to providing the best package reporitory.

586061136[/snapback]

YES, Gentoo all the way, but I hosed my gentoo install by accident :cry: :no:

I don't have time for another stage 1 install right now :blush: so I have the next best thing Ubuntu :)