[NBA] Jackson to coach Lakers again

Just got home and heard about it. Why would he want to come back with that team. After the things he said about Kobe in the book. You mean to tell me Kobe's changed that much that Phil now thinks he's coachable? I don't get it. He's coming back to a team that is worse off then the one he coudln't win the title with last year. Is it becuase it's the Lakers? O well. To each his own, I suppose.

Phil did mention the current team would be a better fit into the triangle system then the old one.

I suppose so, since he was so used to not having a dominant center in his last years with the Bulls.

i wanted to see phil coach lebron, just see if lebron could actually fulfill his potential...

honestly i think the lakers are gonna be bad still, and will finish worse than the clippers...

If he's smart, he'd stay away from the Lakers. No need to tarnish his nice record. Take the easy wins and run before they catch on to him actually not knowing what a real head-caoch is/does. IMO, he is one sorry coach, never actually made a decent call in his career. He's always been lucky to have high caliber players on his teams, if not, the very best super-stars in the NBA on his team. Chicago, he had MJ. MJ basically ran that team along with Pippen which complimented MJ's style of play, while he sat and watched. Lakers, well he had Kobe and Shaq, not to mention pretty much a dream-team.

The man was never a head-coach, simply a good psycologist.

i wanted to see phil coach lebron, just see if lebron could actually fulfill his potential...

honestly i think the lakers are gonna be bad still, and will finish worse than the clippers...

586064778[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, I would of loved to see phil and lebron in action. I just dont understand this move by LA, I mean for numerous reports Phil and Kobe dont get along why hire him back with Kobe still in LA?

The Zen Master is back

If he's smart, he'd stay away from the Lakers. No need to tarnish his nice record. Take the easy wins and run before they catch on to him actually not knowing what a real head-caoch is/does. IMO, he is one sorry coach, never actually made a decent call in his career. He's always been lucky to have high caliber players on his teams, if not, the very best super-stars in the NBA on his team. Chicago, he had MJ. MJ basically ran that team along with Pippen which complimented MJ's style of play, while he sat and watched. Lakers, well he had Kobe and Shaq, not to mention pretty much a dream-team.

The man was never a head-coach, simply a good psycologist.

586064820[/snapback]

when players are at this level, sometimes all you need is a good psycologist.

that's exactly what makes a good coach.

586065342[/snapback]

Exactly. Having to deal with professional sports players' egos is part of being a coach. It's not just X's and O's. Larry Brown is considered one of the greatest "teaching" coaches but he couldn't deal with Allen Iverson. I'd have to disagree with sin?'s comment that he's a sorry coach. Fine, with the Bulls he was fortunate to have the greatest player of all-time (debatable I suppose but that's my opinion). Still though, Jordan didn't win until Phil was head coach. Same is true of Kobe and Shaq in LA. They were together for, I think three years, before Phil came in and got them the three-peat. Coaching superstars is one of the hardest thing to do. That's what I think anyways.

I guess a possible reason he's coming back is to prove the nay-sayers wrong and show that he can build a winner? I personally don't understand it but I suppose that could be a motivating factor. Or maybe he wants to eclipse Auerbach. Aside from those I don't understand this move. I don't think he needs the money, he's got the girl already it's not like he needs to coach them to stay with her, and if he just likes the West Coast then fine just live there you don't have to coach.

This makes no sense at all. Unless the Lakers are going to make some big time moves this summer to get a couple free agents, there's no way in hell they can compete with San Antonio or Phoenix. I actually thought if he came back he'd end up in either New York or Minnesota.

Oh well, good ol' Phil The ZenEgo is back. Funny how this happens in the middle of the Finals, too. Here's to seeing more Kobe and Phillip arguments next season (if there even IS a season).

bah. i hope he fails. shaq made that team.

east represent! :p

586065997[/snapback]

It doesn't look that good in the east int he finals this year, does it :whistle:

It doesn't look that good in the east int he finals this year, does it  :whistle:

586066084[/snapback]

detroit is a tough team, no doubt though. think of the team the lakers had last year...

kobe, shaq, payon, malone, blah blah

and they STILL lost to detroit. thats worse than SHAQ and DWYANE not getting to the finals. :whistle: at least imo.

Phil was on PTI tonight. If anyone's interested and missed it, it re-airs at 6:30 pm on ESPNews. He basically said he came back because of the challenge it presented.