Hooking up a subwoofer to my HT

Bling3k12    1

I was at Circuit City today and saw a 5.1 surround sound speaker set for $75. Yes, I'm cheap. I've never been happy with the 2.0 system I have right now since I've hooked up every a/v component with Optical or Digital Audio cables. So I figured I'd hook up the center and two rear speakers and the subwoofer, since the front speakers I have are pretty nice by themselves. I took everything out of the packaging (stupid) and then placed the subwoofer where I wanted it. Here's where I ran into a problem.

My receiver has a Subwoofer Preout port like so:

01.jpg

The speaker outputs on my receiver:

02.jpg

My subwoofer: (by the way, that says Hi-Level Input over the speaker jacks)

03.jpg

Alright now, my receiver has no outputs that I can use with my subwoofer (vice versa, however you want to see it as). I checked the manual for my receiver and under connecting the speakers, you plug the Powered Subwoofer into the Subwoofer Preout. Too bad I don't have anything to connect it to!

Is there any way to hook it up through the preout? Anyone know of any adapters? I'd like to get it hooked up and running because the bass is weak, and I need some type of sub. I also hate returning things to Circuit City. It's always the same people at the CS desk and it's just weird because I've returned quite a lot of things.

Thanks.

BigDaddy5    0

You have a sub output, and sub inputs, what's the problem? Just buy a subwoofer cable and you'll be fine.

rmorris003    20

buy a power sub cable, it goes on the sub out to the left and right line input, my friend has this too with my htib.

Bling3k12    1

Guess I should have spent some more time in front of the cables @ Circuit City. :blush:

I'm off to the store.

JonathanSmith68    0

why does the subwoofer have left and right channel inputs? :huh:

Bling3k12    1

JonathanSmith68: I just got back... looked at some other subs just to make sure I'm not paranoid, and they all have them.

bangbang023    31
why does the subwoofer have left and right channel inputs?  :huh:

586065761[/snapback]

More than one driver, I believe.

JonathanSmith68    0

thats interesting, did not know that.

Bling3k12    1

Well I got it hooked up, but as to be expected from the cheapo system, the sub isn't very powerful. Although I say this, it's more bass than I had before. I'll take it for now.

And PureAV cables sure are nice... Monster Cables were a waste, this PureAV stuff from Belkin is great, and cheaper.

GUNNER    8

586065761[/snapback]

For people who do not have "sub out" on there receviers and or to bypass the receviers crossover or because they have speakers that cannot handle bass such as bookshelf spkrs.

GUNNER    8
Well I got it hooked up, but as to be expected from the cheapo system, the sub isn't very powerful. Although I say this, it's more bass than I had before. I'll take it for now.

And PureAV cables sure are nice... Monster Cables were a waste, this PureAV stuff from Belkin is great, and cheaper.

586066287[/snapback]

Do you have the L and R hooked up? as only hooking one up usually makes the sub less powerful. And yes I have verified this got bored one day.

Bling3k12    1

I only have the Left hooked up, as I only have one Sub Preout.

bangbang023    31

586066435[/snapback]

You can split the out to remedy that.

BigDaddy5    0

586066435[/snapback]

That's why I said to get a subwoofer cable, subwoofer cables are long "Y" Cables. If you don't want to buy one, go to radio shack and pick up an "RCA Y Cable," 1 male, 2 female.

Bling3k12    1
That's why I said to get a subwoofer cable, subwoofer cables are long "Y" Cables.  If you don't want to buy one, go to radio shack and pick up an "RCA Y Cable," 1 male, 2 female.

586066613[/snapback]

Yes, you did, and I bought one. None of them looked like Y cables. If there was one, I'd have bought that.

I was looking at Y splitters earlier and thought it wouldn't be the best idea, there's probably a reason why I should get a special cable.

Anyways, maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow, I messed with some settings on the receiver itself and did some configuration there and it seems to be doing just fine right now.

bangbang023    31

Not all sub cables come with y splitters. Hell even monster doesn't include a Y Splitter with all their sub cables.

Joel    27

586065761[/snapback]

To get signal for the satellite speakers in stereo.

• 2 weeks later...
MiG-    2

i just have a regular sub cable and it works fine. it came with the amp, and its panasonic 5.1 thing. sounds good, and the sub is multidirectional and all that bull and i dont see why u would use a phono cable unless u had too, since a sub works best off a dedicated sub woofer out that has only low frequencies in it.

Shroud    0

Have you calibrated your subwoofer to your other speakers? Also subwoofer placement is very important in obtaining maximum bass and trying to find that "Sweet spot". It has been recommended to place the subwoofer close to a wall (about 6 inches apart), set the crossover on the receiver to 80hz and setup your speakers in your receiver to "small" even if they are large. This will direct the bass to your subwoofer which should be more capable of reproducing the low bass sounds.

I would recommend getting a Sound Pressure Meter from Radio Shack and Avia's Guide to Home Theater setup DVD to properly setup your home theater. Calibrate the LFE and then move the subwoofer until you can find the highest output from the Sound Pressure Meter. This will vary due to room volume size, acoustics and standing waves. Once setup properly you will notice a big difference in music and movies and depending on the limitations of the subwoofer how low your bass will go.

• 3 weeks later...
Dazog    9

Using a Y splitter or plugging it into the LEFT on your sub is the SAME THING.

Just plugging it into the Left will sound the same as using both.

Anyone who tells you any different doesnt know anything about Home theater subs.

To find the best place to put your sub set it where u sit and watch movies and walk around the room to find the best place it throws bass to.

Thats where your sub should be placed.

slaren    0

Feels good not to be the only one with this problem in the world hehe. Seriously though, I tried what was suggested as I also only have a sub-preout. I plugged my left input on the sub and the other end in sub-preout. Nothing happens. I tried hooking both left and wright and hooking them with a Y splitter and the sub still isn't picking up (red light on stand by).

Am I missing something here? I did a speaker test to make sure and, although hooked up, nothing at all comes the sub (red light stays on, green light is off).

Anyone could help? Thx :)

• 2 weeks later...
DNN999    0

Hi,

First to the question.

Yes, you should connect Subwoofer pre-out (from receiver) to the LFE input left (RCA type). No need to use the Y connector, they are bridged inside. The right RCA is used for a few receivers such as some Yamaha models that has 2 Subwoofer pre-out. What you are missing is you must set in your receiver (use SETUP menu from your receiver):

1. Front speakers to SMALL (does not matter if they are big) to activate the subwoofer ON

2. You may (depend on the receiver that may have the option) go to setup Subwoofer (actual subwoofer option, not the speakers) to ON

Also, here are some tips for guys who use an old receiver that does not have Subwoofer pre-out RCA, and/but the powered subwoofer only has the LFE RCA input (no speakers inputs):

The easy way: Use 2 RCA wires, connect the receiver tape2 OUT (use tape1 OUT if your receiver does not have tape 2) to a Y adapter (2 to 1), then plug your 1end to the LFE RCA of the subwoofer. This is mimick by taking the input out of your receiver and record to the cassette, instead feed to the subwoofer. Of course, you will no longer be able to record your CD digital to cassette analog, but who want to do that, right ? Keep in mind that your center or rear channel will not go to the subwoofer, but who cares, since music and explosion sound come mostly from the front speakers.

The hard way: take a pair of RCA wires, cut 1 end, twist the 2 ground wires together, keep the 2 others; they will go to the receiver front speakers. The ground wire will be connected to the center. Of course, the intact end that has 2 RCA connectors will go to the sub (you may need a Y adaptor if you have only 1 RCA input in the sub). You will gain a little bit by having extra bass for the center channel, but are you sure you want the channel that reproduces voices (and a little, very little bit of background music) to be full of bass, human voice becoming muddy ?

Hope you or some 'poor' or 'antique' music fans enjoy my subwoofer connection tip.

bwt, english is not my native language, so please pardon my ....huh... english :D