Which Forum Software is better?

Which forum software?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

Tech Star

Which forum is better? I am asking becasue I have money right noe for a lisence and I want to know which one is better to get...

vBulliten

IPB 2.04

Post away and vote in the poll...

Tomi
Ok what about modifications in IPB how will that work is that ny good?

586081226[/snapback]

http://mods.invisionize.com

Huge mod db right there. Mods are usually very easy to install. All it requires is editting the source files and sometimes the templates.

driz

vBulletin is a lot nicer is properly themed,

check out http://www.vbstyles.com and look at the aria themes, how smooth and professional is that!!!

the one plus i can think of on IPB is that it has a better Admin CP, but then again more can be done with vBulletin!!!

Perhaps the best if your really want a top community is to have a custom using php, coldfusion or asp.

like macromedia and microsoft have done, that way you can intergrate it easily with other services and not have to worry about your entire website havimg to be coded around IPB_name or vB this and that, as it will all be custom.

Tomi
vBulletin is a lot nicer is properly themed,

check out http://www.vbstyles.com and look at the aria themes, how smooth and professional is that!!!

the one plus i can think of on IPB is that it has a better Admin CP, but then again more can be done with vBulletin!!!

Perhaps the best if your really want a top community is to have a custom using php, coldfusion or asp.

like macromedia and microsoft have done, that way you can intergrate it easily with other services and not have to worry about your entire website havimg to be coded around IPB_name or vB this and that, as it will all be custom.

586088376[/snapback]

Uhh. If I remember correctly, I think someone said IPB is far easier to skin.

Plus vB is unefficently coded, have fun with slow forums if you use it, as vB won't be able to handle a large amount of users online at a time.

IPB has more features, fyi. ;)

driz

nope the admin cp while not as easy to use as IPB, does allow many more modifications of your forums.

for instance - you can make custom profile fileds on IPB but you can't edit the default ones already put their by IPB - unless you know php, and thats not user friendly, vBulletin allows you to edit every one from the admin cp.

Then theirs the usergroups, ranking, and member titles, vB's version is far more advanced, in IPB you create as many groups as you like, but they won't be classed as leaders or anything unless they are admin or mod. vb allows you create alsorts of usergroups will lots of permissions and custom graphics and everything, it allows you to view them in Forum leaders without having to give them Admin or Mod access.

I love IPB, i really do, but after having a play with vBulletin it just does everything that i want and is really easy to intergrate with a website, as IPB uses index.php?PAGE where as vBulletin uses a seperate .php file for each thing so you can easily find the bit of code you want to edit.

+StevoFC

IPB...especially with version 2.1 coming.

Tomi
nope the admin cp while not as easy to use as IPB, does allow many more modifications of your forums.

for instance - you can make custom profile fileds on IPB but you can't edit the default ones already put their by IPB - unless you know php, and thats not user friendly, vBulletin allows you to edit every one from the admin cp.

ACP > Users and Groups > Manage Ranks

is this what you're talking about? ;)

Then theirs the usergroups, ranking, and member titles, vB's version is far more advanced, in IPB you create as many groups as you like, but they won't be classed as leaders or anything unless they are admin or mod. vb allows you create alsorts of usergroups will lots of permissions and custom graphics and everything, it allows you to view them in Forum leaders without having to give them Admin or Mod access.

a. Forum leaders means mods/admins, what are you thinking it's suppose to be?

b. Custom Grapics = ACP > Groups and Permissions > Manage User Groups > Edit Group > Group Image Icon

c. Groups will be added in IPB 3.0

I love IPB, i really do, but after having a play with vBulletin it just does everything that i want and is really easy to intergrate with a website, as IPB uses index.php?PAGE where as vBulletin uses a seperate .php file for each thing so you can easily find the bit of code you want to edit.

And that's why vB is less stable/efficient than IPB.

586089761[/snapback]

[Comments added in quote, bolded]

vB needs to be more more organized with their code. ;)

jack_canada

I prefer IPB just because I'm more familiar with it and its easy to use.

Tech Star

WOW is that all true driz or are you making this up and TM is telling the truth! Ok one last question before I make my decision..WHich one of these CMS's will allow IPB or vB to be intrigated with it:

Subdreamer

VirtuaNews

Tomi
WOW is that all true driz or are you making this up and TM is telling the truth! Ok one last question before I make my decision..WHich one of these CMS's will allow IPB or vB  to be intrigated with it:

Subdreamer

VirtuaNews

586090181[/snapback]

From what Matt [iPB dev] and some others have said, vB's code is a complete mess; unorganized.

I'm willing to bet driz hasn't even touched IPB, as I know IPB from the back of my hand nearly and I proved him wrong [see quote.].

Pretty sure VirtuaNews works with IPB, as Neowin uses VN. :)

+StevoFC
WOW is that all true driz or are you making this up and TM is telling the truth! Ok one last question before I make my decision..WHich one of these CMS's will allow IPB or vB  to be intrigated with it:

Subdreamer

VirtuaNews

586090181[/snapback]

both do

drgrudge

vB if paid version or SMF if I want a free software :)

Tomi

Have you made a decision yet, HummerT30?

driz

By the way i have been using IPB for nearly 3 years, so i do know all about it.

and you did not prove me wrong, as the features are different in vB to IPB.

I like IPB a lot, i like the look of IPB 2.1, in fact i myself am deciding what forum software to use, but so far vBulletin seems to be better for the job.

If i was Hummer, i would wait a little while and get IPB 2.1, but then again i think they would upgrade you from 2.0.4 for free anyways, as long as your license was still okay.

Either ways go for IPB as its simple, professional, and user friendly.

And 2.1 is looking very very good indeed.

It just needs a bit of coding to make some areas a little better :cool:

Edited by driz
Tomi
By the way i have been using IPB for nearly 3 years, so i do know all about it.

and you did not prove me wrong, as the features are different in vB to IPB.

586091672[/snapback]

Really? So you saying that something can't be done and me proving that it can be done, isn't proving you wrong?

:rolleyes:

driz

what ever mate!

you win your pathetic argument.

i have better things to do than argue with an amauteur who thinks he's the coding king. :whistle:

IPB CAN DO WHAT VB CAN DO

AND VB CAN DO WHAT IPB CAN DO

YOU JUST HAVE TO CODE THE HELL OUT OF BOTH

Tomi

Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

driz

so lets get this straight a 14 year old is telling a professional web-designer what's what?

lol - god help the future of the web :p

Tomi

Got a problem with me being a 14 year old? :hmmm:

Don't try to pick a war with me, I'd rather not have another warning on my hands. ;)

maplecookie

Next person to go off topic and try to pick a fight here is getting a warning. Got it?

Stay on topic or get out.

Tech Star

lol thanks Triliaeris I thought they would just go on and on but here is the deal...I have made my decision TM...The decision is IPB... I am getting it becasue it good mods that are free...some mods in vB you have to pay... I have some other reaseons but it would take up all your time. This was a very hard choice becasue I have used vB and I like it but the Admin. demo I have tried sucks and vB's coding is all right nit as good as IPB's but it is alittle mixed up and all. Also the way it looks is bad, thats another reason. Thank you all for voting now I nead to know which CMS IPB 2.04 works with better:

VirtuaNews

Subdreamer

Tomi
Next person to go off topic and try to pick a fight here is getting a warning.  Got it?

Stay on topic or get out.

586093945[/snapback]

Yeah. That's kind of what I was trying to stop with my previous post. ;)

lol thanks Triliaeris I thought they would just go on and on but here is the deal...I have made my decision TM...The decision is IPB... I am getting it becasue it good mods that are free...some mods in vB you have to pay... I have some other reaseons but it would take up all your time. This was a very hard choice becasue I have used vB and I like it but the Admin. demo I have tried sucks and vB's coding is all right nit as good as IPB's but it is alittle mixed up and all. Also the way it looks is bad, thats another reason. Thank you all for voting now I nead to know which CMS IPB 2.04 works with better:

VirtuaNews

Subdreamer

586094771[/snapback]

There's also some IPB mods that are donation-only, but it's really really rare to find.

I'd help with the CMS decision, but I don't know about either, sorry. :)

Tomi

Yeah. I suggest you wait about a month before you get your license, because around then [do NOT quote me on this.] 2.1 will be out. ;)