DVD player recommendations?

I'm after a new DVD player for when I get my new TV, I've not looked for a long while and just browsing quickly I can see DVD players with component, prog scan and HDMI for like ?49:blink:: prog scan and component as a minimum is required.

Has anyone got any particular recommendations?

I like the Toshiba line. Great units, 4900 series and better.

I would personally get one with a HD in it, with recording ability.

Do not buy Sony. I had one from Sony, and It didn't play burned audio.

586074419[/snapback]

:blink: then you got an old version the new ones can read burned audio cd's

If you've got the cash how about the denon 3910 or 2910? Its supposed to be one of the best dvd players in terms of image quality.

Edited by SonComet

Samsung DVD-HD950 is good

Panasonic DVD-S77S and DVD-S97S are good

samsung plays every burn media, while panasonic only plays dvd-r and dvd-ram (not +r(w), -rw)

but panasonic has slightly better image quality(from what i heard), but the diffrence is not noticable.

i saw HD950 and S77S side by side, and neither i or my friends seen any diffrence between them

few days ago i ordered the HD950 for $199, thats about what? ?160?

375139.jpg

Hey Dazzla here is one from Sony DVP-LS785V

Precision Drive 3 Mechanism for fast, stable and accurate playback

CD-JPEG, CD-R/RW/ data CD (MP3) & SVCD ( Simple Playback )

DVD-R/RW ( VR and Video Mode ) and DVD+R/+RW

Super Audio CD

High Quality gloss finish

Integrated Dolby Digital and DTS Decoders

Component Output and Digital Optical Output

MP3 Browser, a powerful on-screen menu to browse easily through your MP3 files recorded on CD-R/RW

TV Virtual Surround

Link: http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...gory=DVD+Player

High-speed Smooth Search, for quicker and easier search of scenes

Child Lock and Custom Parental Control

Multi-brand TV Control

I have am Acoustic solutions AS-8099 and a Mico Sofia 02A. They may be cheap but they work a treat and multi region from the box.

In that case, I've heard good things about those panasonic models previously listed. Haven't heard much good stuff about the samsungs or sonys though. Also, you may want to reserch the Oppo Faroudja DCDi OPDV971H DVI MPEG4/DivX/XviD DVD Player. It may be chinese, but it has some good reviews, and is cheap. I'm not completely informed as to its problems, but lots of people seem to like it. Maybe google some reviews and opinions of people on other forums.

By no means a review, but it will atleast give you an idea of the look and features.

Not sure how trustworthy this site is, its the link within the link I previously posted.

Couldn't hurt to read the opinions of the people on this forum.

Edited by SonComet

In that case, I've heard good things about those panasonic models previously listed.  Haven't heard much good stuff about the samsungs or sonys though.  Also, you may want to reserch the Oppo Faroudja DCDi OPDV971H DVI MPEG4/DivX/XviD DVD Player.  It may be chinese, but it has some good reviews, and is cheap.  I'm not completely informed as to its problems, but lots of people seem to like it.  Maybe google some reviews and opinions of people on other forums.

586074904[/snapback]

Panasonic uses the Faroudja DCDi too, that?s why theoretically picture quality should be better, but like I said I seen the samsung and panny side by side and there is no difference (using 720p and 1080i output) plus DCDi is know to cause macroblocking

and after going from pioneer 480p dvd player to samsung hd950 and using 1080i upconversion, i did notice a diffrence, picture quality looks better.

dvds are still only 480p so they will never look the same as true hd signal.

Panasonic uses the Faroudja DCDi too, that?s why theoretically picture quality should be better, but like I said I seen the samsung and panny side by side and there is no difference (using 720p and 1080i output) plus DCDi is know to cause macroblocking

and after going from pioneer 480p dvd player to samsung hd950 and using 1080i upconversion, i did notice a diffrence, picture quality looks better.

dvds are still only 480p so they will never look the same as true hd signal.

586078434[/snapback]

Did they ever fix or lessen the macroblocking with firmware fix. And wasn't the macro blocking tied to a certain version of the faroudja or was it connected to every version of the chip? Buying a dvd player is more complicated than necessary.

I just remember reading that the samsungs completely crush blacks, and so you lose a lot of detail in night scenes. Did samsung ever get around to releasing a fix for that?

Samsung DVD-HD950 is good

Panasonic DVD-S77S and DVD-S97S are good

samsung plays every burn media, while panasonic only plays dvd-r and dvd-ram (not +r(w), -rw)

but panasonic has slightly better image quality(from what i heard), but the diffrence is not noticable.

i saw HD950 and S77S side by side, and neither i or my friends seen any diffrence between them

few days ago i ordered the HD950 for $199, thats about what? ?160?

375139.jpg

586074745[/snapback]

Ok, I've settled on the Samsung HD950. The amount of features is excellent. User reviews I've read are quite promising as well. One last thing though, it needs to be multiregion. I've read that the HD945 region hack works on it, but only on non-us versions. That's fine because I won't be getting a US version, but could you check it on your player?

Here's the region hack:

1. Turn on player with no disc in the tray. "No disk" appears on screen.

2. Press the "Repeat" key on the remote.

3. Press "57538" on the remote. A number should appear on screen, indicating your player's current region (e.g. "2").

4. Press the number for your required region (e.g. "1") or "9" for region-free/all-regions. The number will appear on screen, replacing the previous number (from step 3).

5. Press "Open/Close Tray" and leave the tray open for a few seconds.

6. Press "Power On/Off". The tray closes automatically and the player turns off. Next time you turn it on, it is region free (or whatever Region you selected in step 4).

You can now fully enjoy your player Happy

It probably won't, but if you could try I'd appreciate it:)) Apparently 53814 works on some players as well.

sorry doesn't seem to work on us version

well it might, either you neeed different number or slightly different procedure

Yeah, I thought as much. I emailed DigiUK and they're not getting it in until the 17th July:

Thank you for your enquiry,

Unfortunately we are currently out of stock of the DVD-HD950. We have checked with Samsung who informed us they are waiting for the first stock into the UK which is expected week commencing 17th July.

If you placed and order today you should be able to secure some of the first stock into the UK.

Kind Regards

Alastair Morgan - Consumer Products

Digi-UK

01386 - 556633

www.digiuk.com

I'm not in too much of a rush so I'll wait and see about the region thing, considering 50% of my DVDs are R1 and the rest are R2 it has to be multi region. I'll wait and see what others make of it first, tempted to ask DigiUK about the multi region thing, although I imagine they'll tell me where to go...

Man, reading into this more just makes it harder. The 2 which it's coming down to really are the HD950 and the S97. What I don't get is the arguments and counter arguments I'm reading. On the Samsung side they'll say the Faroudja chip causes noticable macroblocking, then the Panasonic side berate the Samsung for not having Faroudja DCDi. Bah!

Connection being used will be 720p via HDMI with both NTSC and PAL content, but I'm further away from a decision then ever!

Maybe you should buy them both and then return the one you don't like? I don't know if there are any stores that will let you do that in the UK, but here in the USA its not too hard to do. Maybe buy one at one store and the other at another so they don't get suspicious, lol.

Man, reading into this more just makes it harder. The 2 which it's coming down to really are the HD950 and the S97. What I don't get is the arguments and counter arguments I'm reading. On the Samsung side they'll say the Faroudja chip causes noticable macroblocking, then the Panasonic side berate the Samsung for not having Faroudja DCDi. Bah!

Connection being used will be 720p via HDMI with both NTSC and PAL content, but I'm further away from a decision then ever!

586096561[/snapback]

i seen them both

side by side