DVD player recommendations?

i seen them both

side by side

586099089[/snapback]

Yeah, but was that in a home environment or a store one? If it was a home test and you spent time tuning each player and your tv for each one then that's fine. But just saying that you can't see a difference on the poorly tuned tvs under the torch settings they have them on in stores isn't particularly helpful. If it was in a store then atleast tell me you turned the torch settings off :). And did you notice an macro-blocking on the panasonic? I should probably just go down to frys and pick up the s97 and test it for 15 days for myself, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am very much interested in purchasing the Samsung HD-950 but require it to be region free as 750+ dvds out of my collection are Region 1 and now I am living in Europe. I have found this new region free hack and was wondering if someone who has the Samsung HD-950 would be able to try it first. Stores here in Spain do not take back items like they do in America if you don't like it.

This hack is supposed to work with the region 1 player and if someone who has a region 2 player it would be appreciated.

Hacks for DVD-HD950 (Region 1)

This required the connection the unit thru it's composite or component output (not HDMI) to TV.

1. HDCP-Free: Requires only DVD Remote.

2. Power On DVD player, wait until "no disk" display

3. Press "Angle"

4. then number on the remote "4", "3", "2", "7"

5. TV Screen displays "HDCP Free"

6. Press "Angle" to turn off the "HDCP Free" display

7. Try 1 more time from step 1-6 (HDCP Free will display)

Removing the HDCP also turn the DVD-HD950 into region free player, I tried the repeat + code trick...it doesn't work, then I tried the Angle + code and the TV screen shown "HDCP Free". I put in a Region 3 disc...it play, swap region 1 disc...it play too, owesome!

Also...turn off HDCP will enable you to use the component with adjustable resolution to it's capabiltiy (480P, 720P, 768P & 1080i), to further utilized highest resolution with my Samsung HPR-4252 plasma TV, I connected the DVD-HD950 thru it's HDMI output to the plasma TV, it works as well as the components connection except the HDMI produce much more vivid color.

I purchased this player thru Dell.Inc for $229 in early June, try to find coupons code from the web and it may sometimes discounted to 10-25% off + free shipping. I got this unit in 2 business day no shipping from Dell.

The player does not have DCDI logo as shown on the DVD-HD 941, the picture quality is good...can't compare to HD broadcast from Direct TV or cable, but it's almost there.

By switching the resolution from 480p to 720P, 1080i not a big different but only gain better details at 720p or 1080i, for folks that have HDTV this is must have in order to fully utilized the 1080i or 720p resolution format.

My roommate got the Oppo upconverting player yesterday. It's amazing! He's into that divx stuff.

OPDV971H 720p/1080i Upconverting HDTV-Ready DVD Player

The Most Highly Rated DVD Player in The 2005 DVD Player Benchmark Review

By Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Magazine

http://www.oppodigital.com/

My roommate got the Oppo upconverting player yesterday.? It's amazing!? He's into that divx stuff.

OPDV971H 720p/1080i Upconverting HDTV-Ready DVD Player

The Most Highly Rated DVD Player in The 2005 DVD Player Benchmark Review

By Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Magazine

http://www.oppodigital.com/

586153009[/snapback]

Be sure to have him d/l the new firmware if he already hasn't. Then the iq should be equal to that of the panny's.

I am currently torn between the s77 and the oppo. I can buy the panny at circuit city today for 10-20 more than the oppo, but I only have an hdmi-dvi cable and not a pure hdmi cable. So I would have to buy a converter or a whole new cable to plug it into the tv, heh. I actually am wondering if I even need to bother since it would be plugged into a crt tv so I would just use 480p as I doubt that upscaling has anything but a negative effect on a non-fixed pixel display and I have quite a few sets of monster component cables that I could just use instead. (don't worry they were all bought on discount so that's why I bought the rip-off cables).

Edited by SonComet

• 3 weeks later...
I too am very much interested in purchasing the Samsung HD-950 but require it to be region free as 750+ dvds out of my collection are Region 1 and now I am living in Europe.  I have found this new region free hack and was wondering if someone who has the Samsung HD-950 would be able to try it first.  Stores here in Spain do not take back items like they do in America if you don't like it.

This hack is supposed to work with the region 1 player and if someone who has a region 2 player it would be appreciated.

This required the connection the unit thru it's composite or component output (not HDMI) to TV.

3. Press "Angle"

Removing the HDCP also turn the DVD-HD950 into region free player, I tried the repeat + code trick...it doesn't work, then I tried the Angle + code and the TV screen shown "HDCP Free". I put in a Region 3 disc...it play, swap region 1 disc...it play too, owesome!

586151855[/snapback]

Yep, this works for me. I can play region 2 discs in a region 1 player now.

Hi guys! I have in the house right now a Samsung DVD-HD950 and a Panasonic DVD-S77S. Here is the upshot on what I see so far with my Panasonic 34" Widescreen HDTV (new model). Both DVD players were tested with the exact same TV settings, using the same HDMI cable and Digital Coax cable.

While older films like Wrath of Khan do not compare to modern, more refined films, the older ones certainly separated the two DVD players. In a nutshell, macroblocking was present on several of my DVDs with the Panasonic DVD-S77S and not with the Samsung DVD-HD950. Obviously, the chipset is responsible for this bit of nastiness.

In case anyone was wondering, I sought out a few forums wondering what the hell this crawling crap was on my screen. I bought the Panasonic yesterday and the Samsung earlier today.

While school is still out on these two players, I suspect I?ll be going with the Samsung. Here is why I prefer the Samsung over the Panasonic:

Macroblocking issue with the Panasonic

Sturdier tray design on the Samsung

Unit is silent while accessing disc/chapters (I could hear the Panasonic spinning up and down?not horrible, but I?ve never had a DVD player grab my attention that way)

Ability to completely turn off the unit display and the onscreen display

SACD compatible

All RCA cables fit better (snugger connection / very sloppy component connection on Panasonic?I?m not joking?the damn things kept coming off)

Finally?I just seemed to enjoy watching my new HDTV with the Samsung. The picture it produced keeps drawing me back to the sofa where the Panasonic seems a bit hard on my eyes and made them feel strained.

While the Panasonic is certainly a nice unit with a simpler, easier to use remote, the pros for the Samsung far outweigh the cons. I will write back within 48 hours if I change my mind. I need to watch several movies on just the Samsung player for the next day or so and then go back to the Panasonic just to be sure there isn?t something I overlooked with the overall picture quality. Nothing is perfect?I?m just giving some opinions/preferences.

I too am very much interested in purchasing the Samsung HD-950 but require it to be region free as 750+ dvds out of my collection are Region 1 and now I am living in Europe.  I have found this new region free hack and was wondering if someone who has the Samsung HD-950 would be able to try it first.  Stores here in Spain do not take back items like they do in America if you don't like it.

3. Press "Angle"

Also...turn off HDCP will enable you to use the component with adjustable resolution to it's capabiltiy (480P, 720P, 768P & 1080i), to further utilized highest resolution with my Samsung HPR-4252 plasma TV, I connected the DVD-HD950 thru it's HDMI output to the plasma TV, it works as well as the components connection except the HDMI produce much more vivid color.

I purchased this player thru Dell.Inc for $229 in early June, try to find coupons code from the web and it may sometimes discounted to 10-25% off + free shipping. I got this unit in 2 business day no shipping from Dell.

The player does not have DCDI logo as shown on the DVD-HD 941, the picture quality is good...can't compare to HD broadcast from Direct TV or cable, but it's almost there.

By switching the resolution from 480p to 720P, 1080i not a big different but only gain better details at 720p or 1080i, for folks that have HDTV this is must have in order to fully utilized the 1080i or 720p resolution format.

586151855[/snapback]

i know this been posted a while ago

i haven't checked this thread for a while, tomorrow i will try it

thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

i have a samsung hd941 dvd player and installed the latest firmware

but i need to make it multiregion .

when i try 4327 hack . i see ``hdcp free `` . after i restart player , i cannot play other regions than R1 .

is there anything that i do something wrong ?

and i didnt understand the 7. step .

``7. Try 1 more time from step 1-6 (HDCP Free will display) ``

• 1 month later...

Samsung HD941 hack:

Using the latest Samsung firmware:

Region Hack:

I just did this hack and it works. Use the Aiwa remote control RC-6AS14 I bought on ebay. It's required for this hack. Hold the shift button down while hitting repeat,prgm then clock. ADJUST appeared on the LCD and TV screens, then I turned it off and turned it back on. Success! It works great through the hdmi cable too.

HD Copyright Protection disable:

1. Requires only DVD Remote.

3. Press "Angle"