Purposely Corrupting a RAR/ZIP File..

Download a hex editor, and randomly change a byte or two. Do it more around the center of the file to be sure you don't corrupt the contents.

Make a spanned archive (make the second part 1kb or whatever) and you'll be able to browse the file contents, but wont be able to extract (if the second part isn't present.)

or you can just password protect it. The contents will still be viewable but it will prompt for password if the user attempts to extract it.

Ah very useful information, thanks guys!

--

I would P.P the RAR, but the reason behind me corrupting it is to look like a mistake while compressing. :)

Thanks again everyone!

Its easy enough, I've been doing it at work ("obfuscating" the license key) - zip up the file, change a few bytes in a company-only program, then in the program I maintain I reverse the changes, unzip the file and get the data (in my case a txt file) to enter the license.

I know its possible in Java, coz that's what I've done it in :)

• 4 weeks later...
hmm hand up assignment compressed in a corrupt rar/zip file.

beats the dog ate it :)

586078131[/snapback]

Haha :laugh:

I once renamed a jpeg image to coursework.doc and handed it in :laugh:

Right click the file, click open with, and select notepad, add some random text and take out some random stuff. Simple, thats what I do when I dont want someone executing an EXE.

EDIT: ^^ my bro did that once w/ a PPT to get an extra day to work on it. :)