• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Science] Are we truely doomed?

vincent    155

very interesting article i read about mankind's role in the galaxy, our future and our possible extinction. It talks about whether we have the right to Terraform other planets and ensure our survival becuase as we know it the sun IS gonna die so we need to come up with a plan, or new home to survive as a species.

One side says it's not right for us to terraform and the other says it is What do you think?

Terraforming: Human Destiny or Hubris?

I personally think we should plan now and seek the knowledge on how to lock down our chance for survival. If we don't kill ourselves through braindamaged "wars" we are STILL doomed because our sun is gonna die wether you like it or not. It's not a question of "if" it's a question of "what do we do?"

Alot of you may think "O well who cares, i won't be alive" But think of ancient civilizations past and if they had made a decision to ensure the survival of man kind just so that you can be alive today.

sdb815    0

What makes you think the human race will still be around a billion years from now? I don't think we'll be around long enough to worry about it tbh.

vincent    155
What makes you think the human race will still be around a billion years from now? I don't think we'll be around long enough to worry about it tbh.

586080378[/snapback]

Explain why you don't think we will be.

SojIrOu    4

cancer, aids, flu, mutation, evolution and of course an ice age when core of the earth rotates until the the magnetic north and south switch places

sdb815    0
Explain why you don't think we will be.

586080386[/snapback]

Global warming, worldwide natural disasters, comets, nuclear holocaust, I could go on. I don't have enough faith in the human race to prevent these kinds of disasters. I just don't think we have the technology or the will power.

vincent    155
Global warming,

586080459[/snapback]

I think were getting more and more aware of what's going on hell look at the organizations today and compare to how many there were in the 50's and 60's

http://www.worldwildlife.org/consumer/sgw.cfm

http://www.sierraclub.org/

http://www.wecanstopglobalwarming.org/glob...p?id=52&id4=URL

thats just to name a few, but you have a point :)

worldwide natural disasters

586080459[/snapback]

Earthquake, volcanoes, tsunamis, can't be prevented but we are finding more and more ways to survive these and in the next hundred years we will be more efficient at surviving these than we are now, now as for weather disasters look here

cloud seeding

spacebased weather control studies

And a special on the science channel on not too long ago where they talked about produsing a substance that turns weatherclouds (such as hurricane possibilities) and change the molecular structure in them so that do not grow and another technique being studied on how they can be stopped in their paths. i'll look for it.

, comets,

586080459[/snapback]

N.E.A.T (Near Earth Asteroid Tracking) this helps in the detection of Comets too and is growing more and more annually

Congress call for asteroid action plan

Congress Calls for Asteroid Action Plan

The U.S. House of Representatives' Committee on Appropriations has called upon NASA to delve into how best to address the threat to Earth from incoming asteroids and comets.

In the full committee's report on Fiscal Year 2006 Science, State, Justice Appropriations Bill, the document directs NASA to submit a report to the Committee, within 120 days, that outlines efforts taken to date by NASA to detect and characterize the hazards of Earth orbit-crossing asteroids and comets.

The Committee also calls upon the space agency to assess "what actions would be necessary to put in place capabilities to expand detection and tracking of such Earth orbit-crossing objects."

Lastly, the Committee has requested that the space agency report on what actions are needed to address the potential threat from asteroid and comet impacts

nuclear holocaust,

586080459[/snapback]

This you may be right but it can be prevented as well. ;)

I could go on. I don't have enough faith in the human race to be able to prevent these kinds of disasters. I just don't think we have the technology or the will power.

586080459[/snapback]

Think about what skeptics said in the 20's30'40'50's when they talked about our lack of technology then. And look at where we are at technologically now.

deadlogics    0

The whole Universe is doomed. It exists only for a certain period of time and it will eventually collapse. Even if it doesn't collapse, the Sun (and all other stars) will run out of energy, making the continuence of our existence impossible. We cannot do anything to stop it.

However I think that we will become extinct even earlyer, probably in the next 300-400 years.

vincent    155
The whole Universe is doomed. It exists only for a certain period of time and it will eventually collapse. Even if it doesn't collapse, the Sun (and all other stars) will run out of energy, making the continuence of our existence impossible. We cannot do anything to stop it.

You really haven't studied much on the birth and death of stars have you?

However I think that we will become extinct even earlyer, probably in the next 300-400 years.

586080737[/snapback]

I doubt it for some reason, maybe i'm jsut a foolish optimist :ermm:

Pacal    0

The planet of the apes will come, die you damn apes! :angry:

Seriously: if we can't develop a technology to travel to a solar system that has (a) planet(s) wich is/are habitable than we are really doomed...

LOC    1,170

Humanity will not be around in a billion years, that's almost a 100% possibility. Not to mention, the Sun won't die for another 4 billion years or so. I don't think we have anything to worry about at this point.

Lqv2015    35

I think it's a must that humanity will teraform. As the Sun gets hotter & hotter & globla warming's getting worse, we'll feel the effect in just a few centuries or even decades. I've read somewhere that we'll be able to turn Mars into a living environment in 50 years or so.

deadlogics    0
You really haven't studied much on the birth and death of stars have you?

586080753[/snapback]

The death and birth of stars is not an infinite loop

j.nudd    0

I don't want to start an argument, but I'll have to introduce my Christian views. Some of you may believe as I do, some may not. Frankly, it doesn't matter what you believe, we're gonna have some problems quickly. Whether it be related to religious happenings, or a global-scale war, or some astronomical catasptrophe, I think we're doomed. Since we can't really understand how long eternity is, we have no idea whether we will continue to exist forever or not. It is for certain that, if what I believe doesn't come true, and by countless miracles we don't destroy ourselves, we will have to leave this solar system for another one. If we can develop a technique to move at or near lightspeed, than we may be in good shape.

Rob2687    72

We'll kill ourselves off before anything from outer space gets us.

mAcOdIn    1

Humans will always percevere, we're like cocroaches in a sense. Even if we had a massive uber war, there'd still be survivors, humans will always be around barring an act of God, which I don't think will happen.

Every generation has thought it was on the verge of the apocalypse and it never comes. Yippie now we can tell our children how we thought we'd be the last generation and then they can tell thier kids, and well I just don't see it happening.

username    0

in evolutionary terms, it's totally natural for a species to become extinct, but human evolution stopped a long time ago (arguably)

if our race wants to continue, it will not be on this planet, solar system galaxy, ect

but all this will come to an end when energy disapates too much because of the ever expanding universe, which propably collapses back within itself.

My opinion if that we will probably never make it out of the galaxy before it collides with another or something of that nature...

so yes we are doomed :yes: