Set top DVD + X-530s - can I get true 5.1?

Hi there,

I recently bought some Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers on a whim - they were half price. Taking them home I was quite stunned at the quality... for $70 AU they are extremely impressive! They're so acceptable I've decided I'd like to hook it up to my loungeroom DVD player instead of the computer. And of course I'd like to get true 5.1 working if possible.

My DVD player is a Hitachi P-415 - an oldy but a goody. I got it second hand, with no manual, and there is absolutely no info on the net about it. (shame, Hitachi). The audio-out options are 2-channel RCA out, and co-axial and optical digital out.

For input, the Logitechs only have the three minijacks for front, rear, bass, to go into a soundcard. (Image here)

Logitech kindly provided a converter to 2 RCA jacks, so I can plug the speakers into the RCA analogue out on the dvd player. Through this all speakers are being driven, but I'm only getting a stereo image divided up between them (that's right isn't it?)

So, I suppose my questions are:

I know the speakers don't have a dolby decoder, but does the DVD player? It has "dolby digital" and "dts" symbol, as well as the digital out jacks.

If so, is there any way, via a converter or something, that I can get these speakers to recieve the discreet speaker channels? So Coaxial/Optical -> ??? -> 3 mini jack plug.

Thanks, I am new to the world of Dolby and would love some advice ;)

Place called E B Games in Greensborough, Victoria, Aus. I think it's a chain but I dunno if the sale is across stores. I got an extra discount, but they are currently 40% off (so about $85) till end of month.

If you can find any similar price, I recommend you go for it, they are very nice, good for music too.

I thought it would have been EB, might have to pop in and grab me a pair, would have loved the Z5500's but out of my range for the moment price wise :)

Thanks and good luck getting some help

No-one? :) I'll try rephrase my first question - does having "dolby digital" and "dts symbol on front, and coax and optical connection at back, mean that my DVD player has a dolby decoder in it? It also has bitstream settings in the menu.

Or does that just mean it's capable of passing dolby and dts onwards _to_ a decoder? That's what my guess would be, but as I said I know nil about these things. Sorry if it's a dumb question...

In which case, could I plug it the optical into an Audigy or something on a computer, and get the dolby that way?