WINDOWS 2003 SP1 Server is perfect for Gaming

All my games are running perfect. It's really awesome platform for gaming. Windows 2003 is already tweaked out of the box. With a couple changes you can turn into powerful gaming platform.

This is not cheap to do...but since i'm student who got a free copy of enterprise version, it's great deal :)

The OS is running on P4 3.4Ghz E, 2 GB DDR400, 6800GT, SB Audigy Gamer 2....mmmm should I tell you i'm running Hauppauge MCE TV Card :p

The only problem is finding the antivirus for it...

What's actually Windows 2003 Server. It's hell of tweaked Windows XP with additional functionalities what makes server OS. Those additional functionalities are not installed out of the box....

Nice, where did you pirate is from?

586115296[/snapback]

Yeah, who the hell is giving a free enterprise editon of windows server 2003

they are giving them away at some universities .. their even giving out visual studio.net out for free .. about 2k3 being good for gaming .. never tried it .. however its hella fast for networking

they are giving them away at some universities .. their even giving out visual studio.net out for free .. about 2k3 being good for gaming .. never tried it .. however its hella fast for networking

586115322[/snapback]

I can see them giving them for educational purposes, but for gaming.... and enterprise edtion

amrinders87: point is .. they are giving it out for free .. as for gaming .. sp1 includes directx9c .. so i dont see how it cant be used for gaming .. maybe not tweaked out (i cant really confirm this) as windows xp

They are giving Standard, Enterprise and Web Edition, as well as Office 2003 and Windows XP Professional. Also you can get a copy of Visual Studio Net 2003. I got a free copy of Windows 2003 Server, activated :) The first year i was using it for my classes (Active Directory thing etc...)

Now I installed in my gaming machine with only one purpose :) Gamingggggggg...

Windows XP doesn't have any tweaks made for gaming...Windows 2003 Server is good as it is :) Of course you have to enable certain services, disable certain things, and turn on certain things and feels and runs like Windows XP, of course much better especially in online gaming. There is no freaking lag for me... :)

kylan: thank u .. some people just come in here and yell out info they got out of no where .. just for the sake of disagreeing with u ..

They are giving Standard, Enterprise and Web Edition, as well as Office 2003 and Windows XP Professional. Also you can get a copy of Visual Studio Net 2003. I got a free copy of Windows 2003 Server, activated :) The first year i was using it for my classes (Active Directory thing etc...)

Now I installed in my gaming machine with only one purpose :) Gamingggggggg...

Windows XP doesn't have any tweaks made for gaming...Windows 2003 Server is good as it is :) Of course you have to enable certain services, disable certain things, and turn on certain things and feels and runs like Windows XP, of course much better especially in online gaming. There is no freaking lag for me... :)

586115378[/snapback]

What services are speaking of? Care to make a list? I don't use 2003 Server, i'm simply curious.

What services are speaking of?  Care to make a list?  I don't use 2003 Server, i'm  simply curious.

586115424[/snapback]

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

It's a bit older guide, but it explains the basics.

I suggest before you do any changes, install SP1. You also can turn on Security Center etc...it's all in services...

All my games are running perfect. It's really awesome platform for gaming. Windows 2003 is already tweaked out of the box. With a couple changes you can turn into powerful gaming platform.

This is not cheap to do...but  since i'm student who got a free copy of enterprise version, it's great deal :)

The OS is running on P4 3.4Ghz E, 2 GB DDR400, 6800GT, SB Audigy Gamer 2....mmmm should I tell you i'm running Hauppauge MCE TV Card  :p

The only problem is finding the antivirus for it...

What's actually Windows 2003 Server. It's hell of tweaked Windows XP with additional functionalities what makes  server OS. Those additional functionalities are not installed out of the box....

586115286[/snapback]

Symantec have a corporate Anti Virus that works on it, mainly for server security I think.

They are giving Standard, Enterprise and Web Edition

586115378[/snapback]

So I'm just curious -- what features of the Ent vs Std are you using or required that you installed it over std?

Is it that you need to be able to HOTSWAP out your memory? Does your hardware support that? Maybe you need it to address your NUMA issues? Or was it that your running more than 32G of Ram.. or Maybe you have more than the lowly 4 CPU's that std supports on this gaming machine your running? ;)

Or are you really doing this on a cluster.. so you needed ent vs std??

It your hardware does not support these features, nor if you need one of the other features of ent over std.. there is no point to using the ent version.....

As to any of the 2k3 versions even with sp1 being perfect for gaming.. I would think not, for starters it price alone could put outside quite a lot of users budgets.. even the web version.. Sure there are people that can get it cheap/free, there are trial versions, there are warezed versions.. etc.. etc.. But since it would COST more for the majority of users.. what exact increase in performance would make it worth the cost over the OS that most likely came with their PC?

How does it make it "perfect" for gaming?? Can it be done - sure.. Pointless waste of time - that IMHO promotes people to warez it would be more like it..

WOW - everyone is saying how cool and fast 2k3 ENT runs games.. It must be 1337 to use it!! I have to try/have it... WHAT!! $4K retail!!! Thats NUTS.. oh.. well I could get the web version for $200, sure it would provide the EXACT same features on my PC hardware.. But ENT must be BETTER!! it cost MORE - so I'll just download it.. etc.. etc..

These threads have been done to death already.. I just hope that with sp1 being out, we are not going to being seeing more of the same...

Have fun with your "perfect" gaming machine.. You do know that MS really designed 2k3 ENT for the Gamer.. It was going to be called "XP Extreme Gamers Edition"

There is just such a HUGE market for gamers running quad cpu with 32Gig+ hardware.. they needed to come up with something.. But when they looked at what they had done.. They thought - hey lets call this Server instead.. and sell it to companies.. I mean really if it can run GAMES this fast -- it must be able to serve up stuff better than 2k ;) :rofl:

I've been using Standard Edition for gaming for the past couple of days now. Runs a lot smoother on it than with WinXP Pro and I am glad I made the switch.

And yes, most colleges will give MSDN access to students enrolled in Microsoft classes or computer degrees. Don't become a pirate - pay $30 for a course at your community college and get all the Microsoft software you want. It's like all you can eat.

So I'm just curious -- what features of the Ent vs Std are you using or required that you installed it over std?

Is it that you need to be able to HOTSWAP out your memory?  Does your hardware support that?  Maybe you need it to address your NUMA issues?  Or was it that your running more than 32G of Ram.. or Maybe you have more than the lowly 4 CPU's that std supports on this gaming machine your running? ;)

Or are you really doing this on a cluster..  so you needed ent vs std??

It your hardware does not support these features, nor if you need one of the other features of ent over std.. there is no point to using the ent version.....

As to any of the 2k3 versions even with sp1 being perfect for gaming.. I would think not, for starters it price alone could put outside quite a lot of users budgets.. even the web version..  Sure there are people that can get it cheap/free, there are trial versions, there are warezed versions.. etc.. etc..  But since it would  COST more for the majority of users.. what exact increase in performance would make it worth the cost over the OS that most likely came with their PC?

How does it make it "perfect" for gaming??  Can it be done - sure.. Pointless waste of time - that IMHO promotes people to warez it would be more like it..

WOW - everyone is saying how cool and fast 2k3 ENT runs games.. It must be 1337 to use it!!  I have to try/have it... WHAT!! $4K retail!!!  Thats NUTS.. oh.. well I could get the web version for $200, sure it would provide the EXACT same features on my PC hardware.. But ENT must be BETTER!! it cost MORE - so I'll just download it.. etc.. etc..

These threads have been done to death already.. I just hope that with sp1 being out, we are not going to being seeing more of the same...

Have fun with your "perfect" gaming machine..  You do know that MS really designed 2k3 ENT for the Gamer..  It was going to be called "XP Extreme Gamers Edition"

There is just such a HUGE market for gamers running quad cpu with 32Gig+ hardware.. they needed to come up with something.. But when they looked at what they had done..  They thought - hey lets call this Server instead.. and sell it to companies.. I mean really if it can run GAMES this fast -- it must be able to serve up stuff better than 2k ;)  :rofl:

586115849[/snapback]

Good post you did well at making freak_power look stupid :laugh:

Is it that you need to be able to HOTSWAP out your memory?  Does your hardware support that?  Maybe you need it to address your NUMA issues?  Or was it that your running more than 32G of Ram.. or Maybe you have more than the lowly 4 CPU's that std supports on this gaming machine your running? ;)

Or are you really doing this on a cluster..  so you needed ent vs std??

As to any of the 2k3 versions even with sp1 being perfect for gaming.. I would think not, for starters it price alone could put outside quite a lot of users budgets.. even the web version..  Sure there are people that can get it cheap/free, there are trial versions, there are warezed versions.. etc.. etc..  But since it would  COST more for the majority of users.. what exact increase in performance would make it worth the cost over the OS that most likely came with their PC?

How does it make it "perfect" for gaming??  Can it be done - sure.. Pointless waste of time - that IMHO promotes people to warez it would be more like it..

WOW - everyone is saying how cool and fast 2k3 ENT runs games.. It must be 1337 to use it!!  I have to try/have it... WHAT!! $4K retail!!!  Thats NUTS.. oh.. well I could get the web version for $200, sure it would provide the EXACT same features on my PC hardware.. But ENT must be BETTER!! it cost MORE - so I'll just download it.. etc.. etc..

Have fun with your "perfect" gaming machine..  You do know that MS really designed 2k3 ENT for the Gamer..  It was going to be called "XP Extreme Gamers Edition"

There is just such a HUGE market for gamers running quad cpu with 32Gig+ hardware.. they needed to come up with something.. But when they looked at what they had done..  They thought - hey lets call this Server instead.. and sell it to companies.. I mean really if it can run GAMES this fast -- it must be able to serve up stuff better than 2k ;)  :rofl:

586115849[/snapback]

LOOL !!! im laughing so hard it hurts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :woot:

These threads have been done to death already..

yet I bet you'll click again on the next thread with the same topic and do your rant all over again. :laugh:

As to any of the 2k3 versions even with sp1 being perfect for gaming.. I would think not, for starters it price alone could put outside quite a lot of users budgets.. even the web version.. Sure there are people that can get it cheap/free, there are trial versions, there are warezed versions.. etc.. etc.. But since it would COST more for the majority of users.. what exact increase in performance would make it worth the cost over the OS that most likely came with their PC?

Why bring up costs if its already mentioned one can get it for free(im not talking about warez) It makes no sence dismiss win2k3 just because the majority have to pay for it.

who cares about cost? Pirate the OS... pirate the games... who ****ing pays for ****? If it runs better and i'm going to pirate it anyway why not? LoL!

Why do you say SP1 enables Dx? there was an update pre-SP1 that enabled Dx in Server2003, i've been running it sence release, haha.

I don't agree that it's "perfect" for gaming but it is quite a bit faster and more stable BUT on the otherhand there are quite a few games out there that don't play on Server2003 out of the box and require some tweaking then there are also some instructions that Server2003 isn't suited to handle in games that XP is... but the only downside to that is that you get an error ever 1/100000 games then it loads anyway, hahaa

oh well, back to FEAR