WINDOWS 2003 SP1 Server is perfect for Gaming

First off, BudMan, put down your beer and ask us if we care anymore. We've heard your thoughts and interpretations, but the point of the thread is the what he has found out. I don't suppose many of us really care if it's in violation anyways, because A) we're never going to have to worry about it or B) we just don't give a damn.

Second... Dashel... I don't know what you're refering to but if it's my thing about the 64-bit I would be happy to link to some benchmarks that show either slower or negligable results on the majority of software except for a few that are 64-bit optimized.

Edited by Gweedo

BudMan, did you get authorization from Budweiser to use one of their copyrighted neon lights as your forum avatar? That might just be against the law...

586311208[/snapback]

good call, but he might come back in a few days time after reading a few thousand pages of legal mumbo jumbo and prove that hes in the right after all said and done.

I for one will say it, BudMan, you are right. I am wrong. Will you please smile and go and become a lawyer and actually put your amazing legal talent to real use instead?

Secondly i have a free copy of enterprise 2k3 via MSDNAA. I could very well play games on it and not be in circumvention of the EULA. Why? Because i am doing a games programming course, and hot damn, i really need to do a comparison of the fresnel water effect that ive developed in the ogre engine with the one in half life 2, id better fire hl2 up and just compare the effect!!! That definately aids in development and design by being able to compare to a controled source!!! Oooh, id better install Unreal tournament 2k4 since im thinking of using a similar control method!!! All aids in the development process which is within the EULA ;)

Edit: however i dont use any of the MSDNAA software, since ive aquired all of it legally before hand, and/or quite frankly dont have any need for it.

Edited by BLEHINATOR!

Second... Dashel... I don't know what you're refering to but if it's my thing about the 64-bit I would be happy to link to some benchmarks that show either slower or negligable results on the majority of software except for a few that are 64-bit optimized.

I was responding to the original poster. To claim that a server OS is better than a workstation OS for gaming requires more than personal opinion and subjective observation to hold water.

I love threads like this, they are rags to the zealot system admin bulls that hover around this forum. ;) Neowin seriously needs to make a subforum for 2K3 Workstation users. o_o

Windows Server 2003 is great, I recently set up a Small Business Server 2003 network for a client, and everything runs really smoothly. Got the domain happening, the WIndows XP Pro and 2K clients all happily connect to it.

As for running as a workstation, it's not meant for workstation use right out of the box. By that I mean that there are a lot of processes that run that no workstation user would need.

If you were to disable the unneeded processes, enable sound, enable hardware graphics acelleration, then I agree that it would be a lean and fast workstation OS.

It might require some mucking around, but it would be worth it if you wanted a fast Windows install.