Working on HARD concrete floors?

I skate from anywhere between 3-12 hours most days which is certainly harder on the feet and I get pretty sore but I get over it.

I mean, it's worth it to skate, it's probably also worth it to make lots of money.

Get him to try on a pair of skateshoes as they are extremely light and most are designed to cusion your feet (heels especially) and to harden up, as he'll get used to it over time.

Asics jogging shoes, look for the cushion ones. I think jogging shoes are the best, so comfy.

but look into jogging shoes in general

my company has like.. reinforced concreate floors as well, to hold the massive weight of heavy machines, shelfs, and thousand of pounds tow-motors and such.

we have rubber anti-slick safety mats, which really helps... but i also need those dr. scholes jellin things.

If you don't still live with your family...why not consider moving? Construction jobs all over the country are giving more than that...

586116533[/snapback]

You can make $11Canadian an Hour sitting around reading magazines at chapters. You deserve more than $7 for your work.

Those Dr. Scholl's things didn't work squat for my girl when she worked on concrete floors.

But Scraggles, I know exactly what you mean. People go "LOL just suck it up baby" but consider this: imagine slamming each of your legs into a concrete barrier with almost a hundred pounds of force, every second. That's what it's like. Scraggle, your bro may start getting shin splints.

My recommendation is very comfortable runners (any good brand will do, really), with custom orthotic inserts. Wool socks too, if it's not too hot. It's best to ask a sports doctor or physiotherapist that specializes in podiatry.

why not have him ask the other people there what their solutions are. I'm sure some of them have longer hours than he does and have been doing it longer.

Those Dr. Scholl's things didn't work squat for my girl when she worked on concrete floors.

But Scraggles, I know exactly what you mean. People go "LOL just suck it up baby" but consider this: imagine slamming each of your legs into a concrete barrier with almost a hundred pounds of force, every second. That's what it's like. Scraggle, your bro may start getting shin splints.

My recommendation is very comfortable runners (any good brand will do, really), with custom orthotic inserts.  Wool socks too, if it's not too hot. It's best to ask a sports doctor or physiotherapist that specializes in podiatry.

586116753[/snapback]

He's already had issues with shin splints with playing sports year round.

I'll tell him about the wool socks. The factory, as large as it is, has to be air conditioned and kept at a constant 68-72 degrees because of the glue they use throughout the factory. So heavy socks shouldn't be an issue for him.

By the way, you're comment on the hundred pounds of force... Before posting here originally, I googled and found that on average, every typical human step forces 1.5-3 times your body weight on each and every joint in your foot. So, he's about 160lbs, imagine 3 times that amount hitting each joint for 8 hours a day.

To the people who say 'suck it up', you have no clue what you are talking about. I worked in the factory that he's in years ago, but luckily, I was stationed and I had a thick rubber absorbtion mat under my feet all day. Even with that, I suffered heel, and lower back pain.

Wolverine Work shoes/boots. There is nothing even remotely more comfortable for long days on hard floors. Most shoe inserts are garbage too, nothing more than gimmics, especially those gel, foam things, etc.  Most people who have those kind of knee problems are generally quite overweight or ave flat feet. If that's the case try some of those orthodic inserts, they actually work wonders for people with flat feet/bad knees.  And i'm not talking the cheap ones on tv, but the ones an orthodic doctor can get for you.

586116485[/snapback]

Yep...Wolverines are great.

Tell him to grow up. Welcome to the real world of working for a living. Most of my jobs over my lifetime, yes I am over 40, have been the stand on your feet and work all day types. I have been in the foundry, meatpacking, and machine shop floors. If his attitude is so wimpy that he can not stand and walk all day then he should be at Mcdonalds flipping burgers. To many of todays youth have no idea what it is like to have to really work just to put food on the table. They grew up with timesouts instead of having their but whipped.

Grow up, live with it, get good workboots, or go crying home to momma and stay there boy. :angry:

586116767[/snapback]

Having a bad day? lol...god...he was just asking for advice. :wacko:

I bet your one of these dudes thats like "When I was your age there was 72 of us living in a cardboard box!! We walked 35 miles to school naked, wearing cardboard sox...uphill both ways!!

ill second the rockports, its not hte same but when i first started working I had never psent 8 hours on my feet walking, the rockports made a world of difference

we have rubber anti-slick safety mats, which really helps... but i also need those dr. scholes jellin things.

586116717[/snapback]

You're gellin too?! lol. I love those commercials. I have them. Pretty active every day and they've done wonders for me. Don't know how they'd stand up 6-8 miles per day on concrete. They suggest changing them every six months or so on average. If he were to go that route he'd probably have to change them much more frequently. Also might want to look into this company Shoes for Crews. They work mostly in slip resistant but he might find something useful.

P.S. Just ignore the flamers. Obviously just attention ###### who have nothing better to do with their lives than trash others to make themselve feel better for whatever failings they have of their own.

Does he get enough nutrients and whatnot? I stopped drinking milk nonstop about 3 years ago, and I can definitely feel that my joints feel weaker than they used to be. (I'm 17 years old..)

If its a matter of his feet getting sore and blistered from walking around on the floors, then tell him to get Moleskin to cover his hot spots (ie. where he gets blisters) he can also put foot powder in his socks before he puts them on to maintain dryness.

Could go with a trick a Marine taught me and put a teaspoon of sand in each shoe for a week to toughen his feet.

If its an issue of his body weight making his feet sore from standing all day, then you can go the expensive route and buy good shoes/boots with inserts or you can tell him to fill a backpack with moderate weights and wear it at work for a week, and once he takes off the backpack it will feel so much lighter that his feet won't bother him.

Tell him to grow up. Welcome to the real world of working for a living. Most of my jobs over my lifetime, yes I am over 40, have been the stand on your feet and work all day types. I have been in the foundry, meatpacking, and machine shop floors. If his attitude is so wimpy that he can not stand and walk all day then he should be at Mcdonalds flipping burgers. To many of todays youth have no idea what it is like to have to really work just to put food on the table. They grew up with timesouts instead of having their but whipped.

Grow up, live with it, get good workboots, or go crying home to momma and stay there boy. :angry:

586116767[/snapback]

just shows you that some people never grow up...just old...and cranky.

The thing is, with concrete floors, they are many times harder than blacktop. Blacktop as hard as it is, still flexes under your weight a bit. Concrete doesn't. I know a lot of people don't think this is an issue, but that is because they never actually stood for 8 hours on a SOLID serface. As for work boots, that is an option to a degree, but they aren't made to be walked around in. He can wear sneakers. He needs something somewhat lightweight because he does a lot of walking. At least 6-8 miles per night at work alone. The factory is quite big. At one end to the farthest, it's over a quarter of a mile long. He is lucky enough to have an office on the farthest corner from the problems.

586116475[/snapback]

Atleast he won't be out of shape :p

Never sadi he was fat no did I, jsut saying that he'll be able to wrok out and do his job, and there are shoes for working on concrete floors my dad does for 12 hours just don't know what there called><

ozyborn sucking up to it is not going to solve the problem.

there is ways and means of solving this problem but he has to find one which works best for him.

i suffer from knee problems and have to ware shoes but mostly boots that have a rasied instep and support my ankles cause i suffer from a bit of flat feet.

when i'm walking round in bare foot it does hurt when on concreate, in our house the floors are concreate and in a few of the rooms have just got carpet straight down and it really kills my legs when they are in pain.

all i can say is go and look at some mountaineering shops and see what boots they got.

i myself have got 2 pairs of boots which are comfy to ware and even more nice if i put in some dr Scholls oder eaters because they make it abit more bouncy.

the soles are also made to bounce and give way abit because there ment for walking on hard surfaces.

gives the boots ago!

I work 10 hours a day, four days a week on concrete. I wear these steel toe shoes from Skecher. Best work shoes I have owned, and their stylish as well. $70.

post-36370-1119794676.jpg

• Like 1

I have the perfect solution. Wear a pair of 'skate' shoes, like etnies, DC, vans, etc. I wear a pair of DC's and theyre the most comfy pair of trianers ive ever worn. Theyre really robust too, one pair lasted me nearly 2 years and still wasnt worn out, I just got a new pair because I fancied a change lol.

They will 100% solve the problem.

• Skiver locked this topic