ZoneAlarm Beta 6.0.617.000

What's New

* Anti-spyware (detection and prevention)

* Triple Action Firewall? (Network firewall, operating system firewall, program firewall)

* Enhanced antivirus functionality (quarantine and pause)

* Automatic kill control (disables malicious programs)

Known Issues

* Important: Please make sure to uninstall 6.0.591.002 or any prior beta build before you install this new build.

* Cannot restore a file backuped by the same version of zone alarm (#32510)

* After updating the virus signatures, ZA does not updates the time stamp until machine is rebooted (#32516)

* Treatment "errors" for virus renamed using special char on Manual scan (#32391)

* Some Betas appears as if they were a trial version in the UI (#33398)

* Antivirus Quarantine fails on win98/winME (#33410)

* Protected Wireless network are put into the internet zone silently if network is enabled after ZA has started (#33414)

* ZL Client UI may crash sometimes (#33368)

* Program List slow to re-draw (#33234)

* Screen goes blank when logging off a fast switch account in Win XP (#32669)

* Strange entry of ?system? inside Program List (#33394)

Fixed Issues

* Install 6.0.583 causes BSOD reboot loop (on 64-bit machine) (#32612)

* Strange objects in program list (#29196)

* Anti-spyware manual updates fail when automatic updates diabled (#32482)

* AV updates are sometimes blocked by the firewall (#32400)

* Manually added applications are assigned with "not yet configured" in "Smart Defense" (#32033)

* Schedule scan still run even AS/AV is Off (#32267)

* "invalid date" displayed in Program Entry detail (#31023)

* Component tab list contains programs with extensions like .exe, .drv (#31938)

* First contextual AV scan after install will also scan for spyware (#32720)

* Actions of Adobe Acrobat, user are being misdiagnosed as Dangerous behavior (#33248)

* Language bar does not get loaded onto taskbar if ZA is running (#33128)

* Several minor documentation bugs (#33071)

* AntiSpyware picks up WinPatrol uninstaller as spyware (#33010)

* BSOD with Beta 1 running on Windows Server 2003 SP1 (#32927)

* VSMON crash on attempting to suspend Dell laptop (#32841)

* True Vector crashes during file upload/download (#32413)

* Error message is mis-titled (#32410)

* False positive AntiSpyware scan shows Win32.HLLO.SysClock.80896 (32059)

* AntiSpam does not populate the white list at startup (#31903)

* Disabling anti-spyware updates from UI doesn't work (#31839)

* VSMon hangs during Win98SE system shutdown (#32249)

* Both users will be sending an alert one another constantly (IM) (#26937)

* cmd.exe not in program panel after clean install and start of cmd.exe (#32771)

* quarantine\delete failed for all spywares after update (#32807)

* vsmon memory leak when running beyond tv (#26212)

* System froze after leaving build running on laptop for ~30 minutes (#32523)

* Pop-up "recommend you scan ... for viruses and\or spyware" is not valid for ZA Pro (#32407)

* Various other bug fixes

Download appropiate beta's @ http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta...ml?locale=en-US

Went to Kerio Personal Firewall after testing this beta. Looks like ZoneLabs is striding the "bloatware" territory once again, with the integrated anti-spyware. :(

Yeah wtf is with them putting their crappy half-assed antispyware thing in ZoneAlarm Pro? If I wanted that stuff I would get ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

How about fixing one of the most widely known issues over the last 2 years with one of the most popular PVR softwares, Beyond TV. It has a HUGE memory leak when used with BTV, balloning to over 100MB of ram.

Thanks for the news.  I don't want any anti spyware progam with firewall.

586119255[/snapback]

I hear that. I want JUST a firewall. Hate companies that think they have to bungle (bundle) everything under the sun.

How about fixing one of the most widely known issues over the last 2 years with one of the most popular PVR softwares, Beyond TV.  It has a HUGE memory leak when used with BTV, balloning to over 100MB of ram.

586119572[/snapback]

lol damn thats bad.

OK, this is starting to get a little out there. I can deal with adblock stuff with the firewall, but AV monitoring was starting to push it. Now they want to integrate AV AND Spyware detection???

What the hell happened to the basic firewall?? :huh:

lol damn thats bad.

586119591[/snapback]

Yeah it is and Snapstream has tried to get ZL to fix it ever since ZA hit v5 but they never have. Since they haven't, snapstream has advised their users to stay away from ZA.

It a good product, but such a waste when they can't be bothered to fix such a stupid memory leak.

How about fixing one of the most widely known issues over the last 2 years with one of the most popular PVR softwares, Beyond TV.

586119572[/snapback]

* vsmon memory leak when running beyond tv (#26212)

Looks like they FINALLY fixed it. They also supposidly fixed that emule problem.

When they finish the next version im going to see if it still has the problems that annoy me and if it has that stupid antispyware thing. If it does I'll probably switch to Kerio, which I dont want to do.

Looks like they FINALLY fixed it. They also supposidly fixed that emule problem.

When they finish the next version im going to see if it still has the problems that annoy me and if it has that stupid antispyware thing. If it does I'll probably switch to Kerio, which I dont want to do.

586119726[/snapback]

Hey thanks for pointing that out....I own a license for it but haven't used it since I bought BTV becuase of the memory issue. I may just have to try it out again.

Yeah wtf is with them putting their crappy half-assed antispyware thing in ZoneAlarm Pro? If I wanted that stuff I would get ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

586119247[/snapback]

I think this is the beta for ZoneAlarm security suite, not the firewall on its own as it talks about antivirus functionality. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't add antispyware functions to a firewall.

But you could shut it down, so what's the problem?

586121805[/snapback]

Exactly the point. They will not force you to use their Anti-Spyware feature, like they do not force you to use their Antivirus monitor.

Thanks for the flash, Ponto.

I think this is the beta for ZoneAlarm security suite, not the firewall on its own as it talks about antivirus functionality.

586121679[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure the antispyware thing is with every version of ZoneAlarm except for the free one and maybe the wireless security one (who would buy that is beyond me -_-).

But if you want to remove tabs that you dont like in ZoneAlarm, you can remove them just by shutting down ZoneAlarm and then removing the .zap file that corrilates to it. Like if you wanted to remove the stupid antivirus monitoring thing, just go into c:\program files\zonelabs\zone alarm\ and remove cam.zap.