Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

After powering off my computer for a minute to plug in a new keyboard, I turned the system on and suddenly the sound driver and a system device called "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" were failing.

(image removed)

How do I repair that system driver? I tried reinstalling drivers and 2 other sound cards, all had the same issue. The corrupted Device Enumerator apparently inhibits the sound device from working. The error I kept getting when reinstalling sound drivers was "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request" (image removed)

For the moment, I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. I'm scared and afraid :cry:

Edited by Isuldor

I tried reinstalling drivers [...]  The error I kept getting when reinstalling sound drivers was "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request"

I also tried removing rebooting and reinstalling that system driver. Turns out when you remove it, it's gone. I had to google a way to reinstall it by tweaking an INF file. Anyway it solved nothing because it still comes up corrupted. Is there some binary file that driver depends on that might have been corrupted, that I can replace?

Otherwise I'm still at a loss as of what to do ;\

tried [...] 2 other sound cards

Thanks warwagon, but that does not appear to be the issue.

After Googling awhile, I've found people with similar problems. I also found a somewhat helpful thread on another site that explains how to reinstall the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator, as well as various people complaining about the driver failing.

But in the end, none of the related files on my system were corrupted (I compared checksums with files on other systems) and reinstalling the driver always resulted in a failure message "The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".

I guess I'll be reformatting. :no:

Edited by Isuldor

• 1 year later...
Thanks warwagon, but that does not appear to be the issue.

After Googling awhile, I've found people with similar problems. I also found a somewhat helpful thread on another site that explains how to reinstall the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator, as well as various people complaining about the driver failing.

But in the end, none of the related files on my system were corrupted (I compared checksums with files on other systems) and reinstalling the driver always resulted in a failure message "The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".

I guess I'll be reformatting. :no:

Hello to everyone

I realize that I am about 9 months late with this post (just joined) but I am having the exact same problem as Isuldor.

The Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator reports the error "The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" in the Device Manager.

So far I have uninstalled the drivers for the sound card, uninstalled the PnP Enumerator and reinstalled it after editing "allmachine" Setup File in Notepad by deleting line 22 under "Control Flags" After a reboot, the same error occurs. I have also replaced the swenum.sys and streamci.dll files from a known working box and repeated the above process all over again.

I also searched the registry for SWENUM and found a folder by that name. It contained a corrupt key. I was unable to manually delete the key but I ran Registry Mechanic after uninstalling the PnP Enumerator and then reinstalled it. Now the folder called SWENUM is gone and my situation is exactly the same.

I cannot figure out if the problem is hardware or sofware related!

I REALLY don't want to reformat. If anyone can help I would be greatly appreciative.

My Specs:

Intel D865PERL Motherboard

Windows XP SP 2

P4 2.6 Ghz Processor

1 GB of RAM

NVidia 5200 AGP Video Card

On Board Sound running the SoundMax drivers for my audio

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hello jacomus, welcome to the forums.

Looking back now, I wasn't ever able to solve the problem. It did appear to be a software problem, since I tried multiple hardware configurations. And the error message was certainly no help, since I also verified (using a hash sum calculator) that all of the files in question were in fact not corrupt. It's unfortunate that the problem has not been experienced and dissected by smarter Neowin users. I bid you luck on a fresh operating system installation in your near future. :cry:

• 8 months later...

I've just had a similar problem, but managed to fix it. I installed some drivers (Conexant 878 tv tuner drivers) that caused my system to reboot halfway through the install and corrupt all sorts of drivers at the same time. Scandisk gave me at least three pages of errors. The Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was showing a code 39, all my cd drives were inaccessible, and pretty much everything related to multimedia was broken.

What worked for me was to boot into safe mode, insert the WinXP SP2 CD, and copy the I386 folder to the hard drive. Then I used regedit to set the following registry key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/Setup/SourcePath to point at the folder containing the I386 folder (eg. "C:\").

Once I restarted, the Device Manager was back to normal, and everything seems to be working again.

The only other thing I did was to reinstall my Audigy 2 ZS drivers before loading safe mode. Installation finished on the same reboot as everything began working again.

If all that doesn't work, maybe http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html will help.

• 5 weeks later...
I've just had a similar problem, but managed to fix it. I installed some drivers (Conexant 878 tv tuner drivers) that caused my system to reboot halfway through the install and corrupt all sorts of drivers at the same time. Scandisk gave me at least three pages of errors. The Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was showing a code 39, all my cd drives were inaccessible, and pretty much everything related to multimedia was broken.

What worked for me was to boot into safe mode, insert the WinXP SP2 CD, and copy the I386 folder to the hard drive. Then I used regedit to set the following registry key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/Setup/SourcePath to point at the folder containing the I386 folder (eg. "C:\").

Once I restarted, the Device Manager was back to normal, and everything seems to be working again.

The only other thing I did was to reinstall my Audigy 2 ZS drivers before loading safe mode. Installation finished on the same reboot as everything began working again.

If all that doesn't work, maybe http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html will help.

Thanks 'kappaoflegend', Google pointed me to your posting and you truely saved my Winstallation. Lest I've been to reinstall all teh windowshell.

PS Tis this http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false drivers that caused my x64 Windows to loose all CD-DVD-Roms, Audio Devices and go havoc