[help] grub off mbr

i've heard great things about linux and i tried dual-booting but the screen resolution and wireless network just didn't work out so i gave up. the grub boot-loader automatically boots into ubuntu within 15 seconds and everytime i turn on the computer i have to go down to boot into windows xp. i'd use live cd's. besides, i need more space for my windows xp partitioin.

i tried using the kubuntu install disc to delete the linux partitions cuz i don't want it anymore but it shows some grub error.

so, the question is: how do i remove ubuntu grub boot-loader from my so-called"master boot record" without recovery console cuz i don't have that on my xp disc

do i delete the linux partition first before repairing?

i installed linux again and using the grub boot-loader, i am able to boot into windows xp professional right now but i don't want grub or linux there, i want my system to boot into windows xp professional, no more dual boot or linux partitions

fdisk /mbr from a command prompt

586129088[/snapback]

i get an error

"'fdisk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

do i delete my linux partitions first before doing this?

boot with a rescue cd then " fdisk /mbr " without the quotes.

or for windowsxp pro try fix mbr then fix c:

and it should work or boot with the windows xp isntall cd then re-install on top of your existing install, then redo your shortcuts as per they will be gone but not the apps.

Ho, and dont format the partition i mean the C: as per you loose everything

is downloading windows xp with bittorrent legal if you have a cd key?

586129402[/snapback]

My opinion on this may differ from Microsoft's official stance. I think a less legally sticky resolution would be to borrow a CD from a friend for purposes of recovery. :yes:
i asked if there are any other possible solutions except for recovery console

586129402[/snapback]

Well, yes... You could download a Windows 98 boot disk (bootdisk.com) and do the fdisk that way (nearly the same as recovery console, though). If you want to get really fancy and complicated, you could boot a Knoppix LiveCD on a known good Windows PC, and copy the first 512 bytes of your drive (the boot sector) out to a floppy or USB memory stick. Then boot Knoppix in your destination PC, and overwirte the 512 bytes onto that drive. Same result as fdisk /mbr, but 12 times the work. :p

Well I would agree with markjensen, however if it isn't such a big deal you can always leave grub where it is and just cut and paste your windows chainloader to the top in your

/boot/grub/menu.lst

(if you do this make sure you back up the original first)

here is what i mean

## ## End Default Options ##

title  Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386 
root  (hd0,1)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386
savedefault
boot

title  Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386 (recovery mode)
root  (hd0,1)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro single
initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386
savedefault
boot

title  Ubuntu, kernel memtest86+ 
root  (hd0,1)
kernel  /boot/memtest86+.bin  
savedefault
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title  Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda1
title  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root  (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

take the last few lines and move them before the linux kernel options you may have, this will make it your first selection in grub menu

I know this is not what you wanted but if you are affraid to use the fdisk its an alternative. Besides if anything goes wrong you can always use the backed up file that you WILL create to revert back to default

Put your Windows CD, boot in the recovery console and enter "FIXMBR" without quotes. Reboot.

586129935[/snapback]

Did you not read the other posts?

btw, why afraid of the RC?