Google Earth Launches For Free

Thanks but I think I'll stick with Worldwind.

L.A. (Google Earth):

LA_Google.jpg

L.A. (Worldwind):

LA_Worldwind.jpg

Small Town (Google Earth):

MyTown_Google.jpg

Small Town (Worldwind):

MyTown_WW.jpg

Google Earth does have a few features I like but overall I am not very impressed.

Edited by Skyfrog

Wonder how long the timeframe is between image updates. That house next to me has already been built.

That and they incorrectly located a Mall that is near me.

I've been using KeyHole for over two years and enjoyed it very much. After Google bought KeyHole last year I am expecting great things to come. Google Earth is their first incarnation.

btw.. As a KeyHole subscriber they gave me GoogleEarth Plus and extended my subscription for a year over an above what I have left. Go Google.

Wonder how long the timeframe is between image updates.  That house next to me has already been built.

That and they incorrectly located a Mall that is near me.

586135052[/snapback]

The picture of my house is roughly 3 years old...based on the tarp I had on my roof (that's no longer there) and the house on the corner of my street (that's no longer there) :)

Thanks but I think I'll stick with Worldwind.

586134959[/snapback]

Just got it to check it out as well. I'm a complete noob at this though. FOr some reason I can't get it to zoom as close as you have. I tried using the SGS Urban Area but the whol screen just goes white. Should I be more patient? Because so far I've waited like 5-10 seconds and noticed no improvement and closed the program. I'm getting close with the USGS Digital Ortho but not nearly as close as the pics you showed.

Edited by bigbluepride35

FOr some reason I can't get it to zoom as close as you have. I tried using the SGS Urban Area but the whol screen just goes white.

The servers get bogged down sometimes, try it again later. I think they are supposed to be upgrading them to handle the load soon, hopefully. Also USGS urban is only available in some cities; use regular USGS Digital Ortho or Landsat for other area.

Go to Help-Key Chart to see the available controls.

The servers get bogged down sometimes, try it again later. I think they are supposed to be upgrading them to handle the load soon, hopefully. Also USGS urban is only available in some cities; use regular USGS Digital Ortho or Landsat for other area.

Go to Help-Key Chart to see the available controls.

586135219[/snapback]

It's got to be the server thing because I'm looking at NYC and that would be included, no?

Look at this!? I'm wondering what it is used for.

586135210[/snapback]

Edwards AFB, directional compass.

The most interesting feature of the 44.5 km? (17.2 mi?) that make up Edwards AFB is the Rogers and Rosamond dry lake beds. These lake beds have served as emergency and scheduled landing sites for many aerospace projects including the Bell X-1, Lockheed U-2, SR-71 Blackbird, and the Space Shuttle. Even today, the lakebeds have black lines painted on it to mark seven official "runways" which are available for pilots operating in the areAlso painted on the playa near Dryden is the world's largest compass rose; inclined to magnetic north (around 13 degrees east of true north) it is used by pilots for calibrating heading indicators./b> The largest lake bed, Rogers, encompasses 44 square miles (114 km?) of desert. Because of Roger's history in the space program it was declared a National Historic Landmark.

Source

Edited by smaulz

meh... its just a redesigned keyhole :/

586132604[/snapback]

Yeah buy it and retool it a bit, then rebrand it

awesome! I live in Miraflores (Per?), and never thought such a third world country would be so detailed. It even has more detail than Arbon (Switzerland), where my relatives live!

Awesome, the satelite photos lack detail in some regions but for the most part its pretty good, reminds me all of the starry night software!

There is already a discussion on this in BPN mate ;).

586135015[/snapback]

Take a look at Community Rule #7. At least include a link.

[Threads Merged]

Yeah buy it and retool it a bit, then rebrand it

586135535[/snapback]

But it's free :D

EDIT: Cool, new rules..

Edited by Fog Dogg