''Man convicted for chipping xbox''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4650225.stm

''A 22-year-old man has become the first person in the UK to be convicted for modifying a video games console.

The Cambridge graduate was sentenced at Caerphilly Magistrates' Court to 140 hours of community service.

The man had been selling modified Xbox consoles which he fitted with a big hard drive containing 80 games. ''

yes its been posted about 3 times before :)

he was convicted for the games, not the chipping of the xbox

*goes to find the other links*

edit: cant find them :pinch: *gives up*

edit2: oh theres one :p

Edited by Colin-uk

edit 2: never leap to conclusions.

edit: ok ok ok i had a quick look and it was on radio 1 news just now... MY BAD. *goes off to learn to use stinking search function :rolleyes: *

Is it illegal to do this for personal use? Lets say I bought the games but wanted it to be in a hard drive so I wouldnt have to switch between games? If I dont sell it, would it be illegal?

Is it illegal to do this for personal use? Lets say I bought the games but wanted it to be in a hard drive so I wouldnt have to switch between games? If I dont sell it, would it be illegal?

586166688[/snapback]

I don't think it will be illegal as long as you use it just for your own personal use.

I don't think it will be illegal as long as you use it just for your own personal use.

586166702[/snapback]

This also applies for modchips right? As long as i own the original game?

Even if the chump only modified the console for his personal use -- or arrangements like -- here's a free console, please loan me $300, wink, wink, nudge, nudge -- if he made an end run around deliberate tchnical barriers he could subject himself the the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), even across the pond.