****ING FEDORA

the ****ing piece of **** called fedora causes more problems then xp. now it wont boot, it says something like kernel panic - not syncing attempting to kill init and then just hangs. what the hell is wrong with this piece of ****? and how do I enable internet access in knoppix, whenever it boots it isnt connected. I need to backup some **** before I erase that ****in crap again

the ****ing piece of **** called fedora causes more problems then xp. now it wont boot, it says something like kernel panic - not syncing attempting to kill init and then just hangs. what the hell is wrong with this piece of ****? and how do I enable internet access in knoppix, whenever it boots it isnt connected. I need to backup some **** before I erase that ****in crap again

586166978[/snapback]

Someone said RH was the messy Linux... perhaps it was true... anyways, for internet if you have dsl you could try /sbin/adsl-setup ;)

I have cable. It works fine with everything else I've used (even knoppix 3.4) but I have a router this time so maybe is that the problem?

no im going back to debian sid or ****ing dropping computers completely. it seems no matter what I do, I cant keep one running without ****ing problems. Im sick of losing data. Im sick of formatting every couple months, its becoming just like ****ing xp. Im sick of **** not ****ing working and im sick of **** crashing. If I can get debian sid running fine again, I will.

Edit: I cant rescue nothing because Knoppix doesnt wanna connect to the net and I dont have a second cdrom that works so I can boot into Knoppix with it and have my burner free

Edit2: After looking through google, I've seen this problem happens in ubuntu too so go away with it. Im not looking for another distro, I'm looking for how to get this **** working long enough for me to pick up some **** I want to keep.

Edited by Kreuger

I'm not sure if I've understood. Even if you've only got one CD burner, take it out, bring it to the machine you're currently accessing the internet on, download MEPIS, burn it, take cd drive back, boot into mepis, rescue files.....do a clean install of an OS of your choice.

Unless of course you don't have a CD burner at all, in which case, get to a computer store or something and buy one for ?10.

Tell me if I havn't understood something amidst all your expletives.

What you've misunderstood is that if I had a second drive, I could boot into Knoppix with it and use my burner to back up my files, burn my Debian ISO that I havent got around to making yet and then format. Also, this computer cant support a burner. And why would Mepis be any differnet than Knoppix? If Knoppix cant get online so I can store my **** on a server, why will Mepis?

well, if you REEEEEALLy want you get it back without destroying it you COULD go buy Suse, Mandrake, or Redhat from the store and then install it (without formatting) and see if you can at least get it running again. Hopefully you partitioned your hard drive instead of just leaving it all one partition?

Alternatively, you could go buy an external USB hard drive and boot Knoppix and copy your data over to the external...

depends on how badly you want your data... :whistle:

@kyro look in sig.

I dont have the money for a USB drive big enough for what I wanna backup. I have it set up in 3 partitions (2 and 1 swap). Is there anyway I can reinstall just the kernel from the cd and boot that way?

I'm sorry, I have to laugh. Here I was thinking "Hmmm...I should have a dual boot system on my laptop. Fedora Core + Windows XP. Yeah that should be good. Before I clicked download, I came to Neowin and saw this at the top of the "Most recent Topics".

I was like "Wow. Maybe not...."

Yeah avoid FC3 at all costs. Go with something Debian based to avoid dependancy hell as thats the worst part of FC3. I was just trying to get mp3s working so I could burn a cd, k3b started freezing so I restarted and now the piece of **** wont boot.

ur hardware looks cool... did installation step go all right? have u installed fedora or any linux before correctly? did u get any hardware error in windows when it was running? did u try to get lan working with the above told commands in knoppix live? do u know you can install knoppix (as i see it sucessfully starts at ur pc) have you done that? do u want to know the command to install it? do u badly want to get data first or get OS install with no bother to format this pc?

ps- i am gonna edit this post for futher questions/comments/answers.. (as far it allows me)

If Knoppix cant get online so I can store my **** on a server, why will Mepis?

586167131[/snapback]

It's a ****ing different distro with different drivers? At least you could give it a **** try, it's ****ing easy to just run from a Live CD to check out if the networking would work without having to install a ****ing thing.

Yes I had fedora installed properly before and Debian. I had some boot errors with Debian before and when I tried to reinstall my cd didnt work. that computer has never ran windows. yes I want my data. I can figure out how to install easy, the hard part is not overwriting the **** I want to save. I dont know much about partitioning.

fedora core 3 is fantastic to me. fc4 upsets me due to it's new gcc creating various problems for me.

to get the bits working that you seem to be talking about, i just downloaded xmms from the official page and compiled/make/installed it, then did yum install k3b. what you did to destroy your operating system is ***** beyond me for ***** sake it's such a weird ***** problem that i don't think any ****** would be able to replicate for ***** sake.

I have no way to burn it. No drive to boot into other computer and have access to my burner and this one doesnt support my burner (if any). If I put my fedora cd in, can I leave the existing partitions and make new ones for it to install to or will that overwrite me somewhere.

Edit: OR if I put my fedora cd in, will it allow me to reinstall the kernel?

Sorry, I skipped some stuff cause of all the **** so this might have been said be4.

do you have another harddrive laying around somewhere? If yes, you could just put in the ****** up pc and reinstall debian, and backup your ****? just a though.

Or, I dunno what filesystem you are using and I suck at linux, is there anyprogram for windows that can access *nix filesystem? cause then you could just put the brocke ****ty linux crap drive into the pc your on right, now, backup your ****, format that bitch, and go on happily ever after ;)

how much data do you wana backup anyways?

ohhhh, uhmmmm the kernal eh? rebuilding?...... yeah,.... uhmmmmmmm..... I heard about that before.......... but...... no fr3aking clue... :(

can you backup your data to another pc over the network?