****ING FEDORA

well then i guess.... u r all ***** up....

yes you can choose OTHER drive area for FEDORA INSTALLTION.... and not overwrite your current one then you can add it in FSTAB and backup ur data from newly installed fedora....

BTW... i dont think this is fedora's fault.... for information i am writing this from just installed fedora core 4 on my laptop....

have good sleep. bye.

You can get a program called explore2fs which'll let you grab data off of ext2/3 partitions if you did magically get the space to do it, or you could use something like Partition Magic to make another windows-writable partition on that drive that you can move files off to using some voodoo.

ok i had simular fun with FC4 but its running solid now.

did you update the bootloader ? thats what i did when it gave me a panic.

i reinstalled FC3 updating the bootloader then upgraded using FC4 without touching the bootloader and all worked ok.

good luck

PS use a test pc

Well, I hate RH stuff (RH, FC, CentOS, MDK, all RPM bullcrap) with a passion... I smell Slackware or a new kernel... Debian isn't that bad ;) FC is just a waste of good CDs

No I didnt touch the bootloader. I put my fedora cd in, if I goto upgrade(it says it will leave my data), will it be able to fix the kernel?

Do you have any idea what caused the kernel panic in the first place? Were you dual booting or jumping in with both feet into Fedora Core3. To me it's a good OS, easy to install, Only thing that gavem e problems is when i wanted to format back to xp and couldn't because i wasn't aware of booting to a floppy and running a

fixmbr

mark knows about my ignorant thread regarding this issues :rofl:

no smilies were harmed in the making of that thread by the way

I've been running it for about a month or so, had no problems till I tried to burn mp3 then I was reminded it doesnt support it right away. My guess is that when I removed SELinux (not all of it but part I think the docs, cant remember exactly) because it was causing problems, it screwed something up. I was having trouble with k3b it was freezing at the scanning for devices screen so I tried to reboot to fix it and then the panic crap came up.

From the lack of control when it comes to use of obscenities and the total lack of luck with your own pc, I would strongly suggest you use nothing but live cd/dvd distros. Learn to backup regularly and try a little restraint when you have the urge to mess with the OS.

You know what? I think you need to go away. I wasnt trying to mess with the OS just trying to be able to burn a damn cd. I cant control myself when Im p'ed off and anger management didnt help. Too bad. There is nothing wrong with my computer, it's just me. Okay? I admitt it. I'm a complete **** up. I know already. I usually backup regularly but only just got my burner working recently. Now because of that, I immediately wanted to burn a cd. After this, I was intending to burn Debian to reinstall it as the only problem it caused was one I KNOW I screwed up myself and will be avoidable in the future. Now Im not in a good damn mood so as I said, if you cant help please get the hell off my thread as youre only provoking me and angering me more. I have calmed down fairly since I posted if you haven't noticed and dont need your input unless you can help

Yeah, manually removing SELinux (as you said that you did... or maybe I'm wrong?) is a bad idea. I'd say "reinstall!" Use "upgrade" and do NOT format any of your partitions. Though before you do that, you might want to boot into rescue mode via disc 1 of Fedora (follow the instructions on the boot screen). Good luck ;)

no I removed it with synaptic. Im trying rescue now to see if I can find a way to rebuild the kernel or download another.

Edit: Of course rescue mode is commandline. Lovely. Is there a cmd I can use to rebuild/reinstall my kernel or should I try to download a new one?

Edited by Kreuger

Fedora often comes with a "recovery mode", or some kind of recovery option on one of the discs, iirc. (I know FC2 had some recovery capabilities... I used an FC2 CD to reinstall grub on a friend's machine after a reinstall of windows...)

But before you do anything else, you need to find out exactly what the kernal panic was. Kernels can panic for any number of reasons, and they don't normally mean there's something wrong with the kernel, they normally mean there's something wrong somewhere else that the kernel needs (Filesystems, essential hardware, the init program, etc). Boot up, note the exact kernel panic message, and write it down.

Also, what Linux CDs do you have available to you. Installation CDs, Live CDs, anything. Give us a list.

I've got FC3 installs, Knoppix3.8 live and Linspire4.5live.

Edit Okay here it is.

Uncompressing ...ok.
Loading linux kerenel...

Red hat nash 4.1.18 starting Reading all physical volumes.
Found volume group ...2 physical volumes in group.

Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

The Red Hat Nash thing I've never seen before and I dont thing Ive ever requested to use enforcing mode (I cant recall seeing it before). So I have

no idea what the hell it is.

Edited by Kreuger

Fedora Core 4 should have worked great on your system, Kreuger. It runs beautifully on my desktop (650 MHz P3, 256 MB PC133, 60 GB @ 7200 RPM, NVidia Geforce4 MX 420) and although I couldn't put 4 on my laptop, 3 ran decent on it. As a matter of fact, it had better performance with DVD's and DivX than most lower end Pentium 3's (up to 600 MHz)! Enough to get my wireless to work with an extra driver. ;)

SELinux sounds nice. The NSA wants it to sound nice. Fedora Project wants it to sound nice. In practical use, it sucks BALLZ - The Caffinated Maker... any way.. Don't let a snafu with SELinux taint the Fedora Core experience. I've used it since FC1 Beta and haven't had any real issue outside wireless on one laptop. All my servers run Fedora in various flavors and modifications and we haven't had issue.

Linspire?! Burn that cd.. no, not the iso.. take a lighter to the cd. Knoppix? Its a tool kit. Use it when all else fails or its untested equipment. FC3? Eh, you could upgrade to Core 4 Final.

Okay webgraph, I'm running FC3. I've stated that and it's under my avatar. I don't think it's a hardware problem as I've never had it before. Vidar: I'm not upgrading to Core 4, I'm going back to Debian after this. Linspire has been crap in the past but I'm gonna give it to a friend who wants to try a live cd before switching and its more windows friendly. Knoppix is good except for some reason it wont connect to the net. Im wondering if that's because of my router.

Looks like its something to do with SELinux to me, and unfortunately I have absolutely zero experience with SELinux. 'Fraid I can't really be of much use to you...

Actually, try appending "selinux=0" to your kernel line in grub (e to edit the line, just add that on at the end)

@Netrack Thanks for wasting my time. I specifically asked for people to not post unless they can help. You seemed to miss both posts where I did this.

It looks like there is a problem with grub or initrd. Check if "root=/dev/hdX" string in menu.lst is correct. Clearly kernel can't find / partition. If initrd is faulty (or there is no initrd), your kernel can't load modules to access / .

P.S. And could you reduce the ues of * ?!

yes it says

root ? ?(hd0,0)
kernel ?/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.35_FC3 ro root= /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd ?/initrd-2.6.11-1.35_FC3.img

Edited by Kreuger

yes it says

root    (hd0,0)
kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.35_FC3 ro root= /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd  /initrd-2.6.11-1.35_FC3.img

586167767[/snapback]

If you can, edit that so it says

root    (hd0,0)
kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.35_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet selinux=0
initrd  /initrd-2.6.11-1.35_FC3.img

...otherwise, try what I said on PM.