Your TV does not support HDCP please use component

Snipe

I just went out and bought a $100 Monster DVI cable. I hooked it up to my cable box (Scientific Atlanta HD DVR) and TV and I get this message - "Your TV does not support HDCP, please use component cables"

I know that HDCP stands for High Definition Copy Protection, but why in the heck would it matter that my TV does not support it? - it is a freakin DVR!

Am I SOL or is there a way around this?

I think I am going to return it even though I may use it later with a DVD player or XBOX360 or another TV. Prices may come down by the time I get something I can use it with.

:angry:

EmuZombie

are you leasing the box through your cable company? if so contact your cable company and ask them

BroChaos

what brand and model TV do you have?

have you enabled DVI properly?

i know of many devices, that if you don't set the video output to DVI (either through a button on the front, a switch in the back, a button on the remote, or a setting in the menu) will give you that error, even though both devices fully support HDCP (which you need to verify, but they should).

Snipe

I think the model of my TV is Toshiba 42H83. I am about to go look through the menu options.

BroChaos

all of the options i was referring to is on the STB side of things. just so i was clear....not sure if i was...

Snipe

What is STB? I checked the TV menu and front and back for anything and I don't see anything related to DVI or HDCP other than the DVI input itself and the option to select it as a video source.

bangbang023

Try calling your cable company. They will most likely have the answer. It could simply be an issue with the box.

BroChaos
What is STB?  I checked the TV menu and front and back for anything and I don't see anything related to DVI or HDCP other than the DVI input itself and the option to select it as a video source.

586168468[/snapback]

STB=set top box.

it's not gonna be any menus on the TV, the TV should handle all of that automatically.

it's gonna be something with box. i would recommend calling the cable company, but they are about as smart as my 3 month old little sister (i don't really have a little sister, but you know what i mean).

the people at comcast don't even know how to turn on/off closed captioning on their HD boxes...

Snipe

OK, I will check the STB menu, if I don't find anything there I will call those jokers at the cable company.

Nothing there, I will call them now.

Well, the lady had no idea.... She said DVI and HDCP were the same thing... and that some TVs - well it just don't work with 'em! HA!

I e-mail Toshiba customer support because they had no phone no. listed. I'll wait for their response then make a decision.

A quick search for 42H83 & HDCP seemed to bring up results stating that the TV was HDCP compatible, I am tired of looking for now though.

Edited by Snipe
bangbang023

Try calling a local Best Buy and ask the Home Theater rep if he can give you Toshiba's number. We have a listing in our employee toolkit of most manufacturer websites and numbers.

BroChaos

whats the exact model SA box you have? i do tech support for an lcd tv company, and we get this problem all the time.

Snipe
whats the exact model SA box you have?  i do tech support for an lcd tv company, and we get this problem all the time.

586169396[/snapback]

It's an Explorer HD8000 DVR

Snipe

This is the e-mail I received from Toshiba:

Thanks for writing!

The TV does support HDCP. Please reference pg. 13 of the Owner's Manual.

Make certain that you are turning on the TV before you turn on your cable box.

Also, go into the set up menus of the cable box and make certain all of your settings are correct.

Scott

Toshiba Customer Service

---I guess it is back to calling the fools at the cable company!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

BroChaos

see the thing is, a lot of the DVI ports on those boxes aren't enabled out of the box, and are sometimes enabled later on via firmware updates. for your cable company, that box may not even have DVI enabled. hand on while i download the manual for this box...

Snipe

That was the case with the last box I had, I bought the DVI cable and found out that it wasn't activated, so I returned it. The cable guy that brought this box said the DVI port was enabled, but he may have been wrong, and the lady I talked to last night didn't have a clue.

I downloaded that manual and went through the setup procedure (pressing Info and Guide on the box at the same time) and selected 1080i as the only format, but no luck.

Snipe

I just talked to an even dumber person, then was transferred to a higher level and put on hold, then my signal faded! Sprint sucks here!

I FINALLY get an answer - the DVI port is not activated on that model, but it is on the 8300, so I will go exchange for that one Friday, w00t w00t!!!

Edited by Snipe
BroChaos

hey, i guess one of my answers was right :p

gee glad all this tech support experience pays off ;)

Snipe

Well, I did return it. I went to the cable office and exchanged the 8000 for the 8300, but while I was there I noticed it did not have a DVI input, but HDMI instead. So I went home, grabbed my DVI cable and exchanged it for a HDMI to DVI cable. Hooked it up and NOTHING!!! I am so sick and tired of this crap. I will give Best Buy a call and try to get the Toshiba number from them. If I get nothing out of them I will just go get a high quality component cable and keep the HDMI to DVI cable for the XBOX 360.

BroChaos

make sure you have the 8300 setup correctly too. usually they don't output component and hdmi at the same time, so make sure you have it forced to hdmi.

Snipe

I looked for settings to do that and asked the cable people about that as well and they said it should work out of the box. I noticed that if I had the component and HDMI hooked up together the component would not work. I called Toshiba and they said my input may be messed up, but I don't think that is the case because I could see the message on the TV about my TV not supporting HDCP. I finally found my TV manual and checked it, it does say DVI w/ HDCP. I think I will just give up on it and go get some THX component cables. This is motherFing BS!

I wonder if it has something to do with the TV being old and might use an older format of HDCP?

Checked the manual for the cable box as well, I have it set up exactly as shown in their manual and in the TV manual, so something is obviously wrong... F*** it

Edited by Snipe
BroChaos

there are different revisions of HDCP, and yes, it can cause problems.

bangbang023

To be fair, the TV you have is a two year old set. There's a good chance it's using an older version of HDCP.

If you get the wires from Monster, only go for the 600 or 800. The 1000 is nonsense. I personally think the 600's are a nice bargain considering they're Monster. I wouldn't go higher than that.

Snipe

Before I decide to keep this HDMI to DVI cable - do you think it will work on DVD players and/or future video game consoles?

bangbang023
Before I decide to keep this HDMI to DVI cable - do you think it will work on DVD players and/or future video game consoles?

586183713[/snapback]

If they use HDCP and have a newer version that what your set supports, no.