[olympics] London will host 2012 games

I'm so glad the french didn't get it. They've been so annoying recently  :rolleyes:

586171669[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Way to generalize the french people there Einstein.

Personally, I'm kind of relieved NY didn't get it. Montreal is still paying for the olympics of '76. And NY is expensive enough without merchants jacking up prices to take advantage of tourists. Plus it woul have been a logisitical nightmare considering how overly-congested the city's traffic already is. Improvements to the transit system that probalby would have been "necessary" would increase fares even more exorbitantly than they currnelty are. And personally, the only events I would want to see in person would be the soccer anyway.

W00t!!!! :D :D :D :D

London finally wins something for once!

I can go to some of the events now seeing as I'll be like 22 when they finaly get here :laugh: :laugh:

I'm so glad the french didn't get it. They've been so annoying recently  :rolleyes:

586171669[/snapback]

useful comment. got any evidence? no? fine, then please stop trolling :D

a lot of people dont like France, why? I would like to go visit UK and france one day

586171684[/snapback]

personally i must say (some) french people tend to be all about national pride. the fact they'll ignore you if you don't speak french is what kinda bugs me. i mean, heck i'm a foreigner and i try my best, what's so hard about trying to talk to me in english, german, italian or spanish then? not everybody knows french :rofl:

but that's just personal, on the other side i met alot of friendly french people (southern france)

OFFTOPIC

just remember whos the queen of your country :p

586171530[/snapback]

I want separation... :rolleyes:

the fact they'll ignore you if you don't speak french is what kinda bugs me.

586172021[/snapback]

It's funny, when I'm in France I usually find the opposite true. People I speak to always want to practice their English on me (It quickly becomes apparent that French is not my native tongue), when I'm desperately trying to speak French in an attempt to stop getting rustier still at the language.

I do however find French people, on the whole, rather impolite. From speaking to my French friends, the French apparently see us Brits as "overly polite". It's just simple things, like holding the door for the person behind you when you go into a shop; any normal British person would always do that, without even thinking about it; but a French person probably wouldn't. Last time I was in Paris I had to be very careful not to have several doors slam in my face when I entered a building behind someone else.

Wow the London 2012 website is quite undone, and hideous right now.

dL

586172326[/snapback]

i think it's having such high traffic that the page doesn' always render properly.

keep refreshing, it's fine once it's loaded properly.

Excellent for the UK. Hopefully it will be one of the best Olympic games. Surprised though about London winning, the odds were against it

IMHO London should be the last place to host the games. When i think London, I think of an overcrowded, smokey concrete island :p dont people from england call london "the big smoke" ?

IMHO London should be the last place to host the games.? When i think London, I think of an overcrowded, smokey concrete island:pp dont people from england call london "the big smoke" ?

586173946[/snapback]

A lot of people (like yourself) seem to think all of London is a city. The same mistake is made with NY (even someone in this thread from Brooklyn made the mistake) of forgetting NYC isn't NY, just a part of it.)

Anyway. Events are to be held all over the U.K, not just London.

A lot of people (like yourself) seem to think all of London is a city.? The same mistake is made with NY (even someone in this thread from Brooklyn made the mistake) of forgetting NYC isn't NY, just a part of it.)

Anyway.? Events are to be held all over the U.K, not just London.

586173974[/snapback]

Actually I didn't make that assumption but the five boroughs are part of NYC technically and most of the events would have been contained there if the games came here. Manhattan is often referred to as NYC though technically it's just one of the five boroughs. I'm aware of that thank you. I think the exception may have been soccer held in East Rutherford, NJ which is only about 20 minutes away from Manhattan anyway. The olympic village was going to be in Queens (again a borough of NYC). Now, if you're saying that not all five boroughs have a city-landscape that's true but if the games came here all of the surrounding area would be affected by the increased traffic volume. The MTA serves all of NY but improvements in a specifc part that would be needed, ie the subway system, would affect fares of all branches (Metro-North, LIRR, etc).