Opera 8.02 Build 7668 BitTorrent Technical Preview

gonna give it a try for sure next time

it might replace rufus on my system

586174518[/snapback]

I have created a small screenshot to show you how it handles torrent files. The red text and arrows point to the relevant information. The only thing that is relevant to the torrent files that isn't shown in the screenshot is the warning dialog (I have already disabled it and can't be bothered to turn it back on.) I think that you'll like downloading torrents this way :)

[Edit: Modified text to clarify that the progress bar is showing the ISO file and NOT the .torrent file]

post-51860-1120706075.jpg

You know what'd be sorta cool? Having Bittorrent COMPLETELY integrated into the browser. For example, let's say that 1000 people were browsing CNN.com at the same time that you put in the URL and hit "enter." Rather than downloading all the data from CNN's servers, you could download a list from them of what the most recent updated files are and then download from the caches of all the other people browsing the page. It'd be faster, cheaper for CNN, and pretty damn cool.

586173205[/snapback]

There is one BIG PROBLEM that you're forgetting... what about dynamic content pages? like CNN.com or Neowin.net where the content is always updated?? Also, some ISP already has cache severs (which can sometimes be a problem) to handle high loads of traffic.

There is one BIG PROBLEM that you're forgetting... what about dynamic content pages? like CNN.com or Neowin.net where the content is always updated?? Also, some ISP already has cache severs (which can sometimes be a problem) to handle high loads of traffic.

586174573[/snapback]

And you're forgetting the largest problem: Opera would be sued out of existence for distributing copyrighted material :shifty:

You know what'd be sorta cool? Having Bittorrent COMPLETELY integrated into the browser. For example, let's say that 1000 people were browsing CNN.com at the same time that you put in the URL and hit "enter." Rather than downloading all the data from CNN's servers, you could download a list from them of what the most recent updated files are and then download from the caches of all the other people browsing the page. It'd be faster, cheaper for CNN, and pretty damn cool.

586173205[/snapback]

Aside from the problem already pointed out by Help (dynamic content), this idea would have too much overhead and too slow of initial speeds.

It would be like satellite internet, but 10x worse. Sure you can get fast speeds, but it takes a while to initially start getting that content.

changelog

seems you can change the port number through the opera6.ini file.

Faster, more efficient downloads in Opera technical preview with BitTorrent

Oslo, Norway - July 7, 2005

Opera Software today launched a technical preview (TP) of the Opera browser for Windows, Linux and Mac that includes support for BitTorrent. Integrating this popular file-downloading technology in the Opera browser offers the end user a faster download process by utilizing full bandwidth and reducing the chance of in-transfer delay when multiple users download the same file.

"While BitTorrent has been on Opera's radar screen for more than a year, the true value of the technology became evident when the company launched Opera 8 in April this year. The massive response, with more than 100 downloads per second, dealt a technical knock-out to Opera's servers. With BitTorrent, users would have had an alternative download mechanism," said Christen Krogh, VP of Engineering, Opera Software.

With BitTorrent, Opera hopes to make it easier for users to download the large amount of legal material available, such as Linux software and computer game demos. The Opera browser will also be offered for download as a torrent file.

Opera already supports other file protocols such as FTP and HTTP, and BitTorrent is the logical next step in the company's strategy to make protocols available that increase productivity and the overall Internet experience for the end-users. The BitTorrent protocol differs from FTP and HTTP in that it makes downloading a large file more efficient, as individuals downloading the same file will assist each other in the download process.

Opera emphasizes that the TP should be used for preview purposes only, and is available for download at the Opera Community beta forum.

More information on BitTorrent can be found on Opera's BitTorrent resource page.

Download from here

Not only that Opera has also launched Slipstream.It is similar to onspeed.It costs u $4.95 per month.Which is a little to expensive considering that Onspeed costs $3.67 permonth.

Slipstream Web Accelerator is a desktop application and service that

accelerates your Web surfing experience over your existing Internet

connection. Opera is offering our users access to this service so they can

use the world's fastest browser over the fastest possible Internet

connection. Slipstream Web Accelerator will speed up your standard

dial-up, wireless, or "broadband lite" (such as slower DSL) connection,

and will also increase your performance in public Wi-Fi Hot Spots.

Slipstream Web Accelerator is tightly integrated into Opera 8 to deliver a

Faster and Safer browser experience. You can use it with any ISP and on

all the PCs you own, but not simultaneously. To learn more, go to

http://www.opera.com/accelerator

The cost of the subscription is $4.95 per month. You will receive your

first 15 days free and if you cancel during the first 15 days you will not

be charged. You will be reminded near the end of your first 15 days that

your free period is about to end. If you desire to keep using the service,

no action is required, and you will be charged on the 16th day.

To subscribe to the service, go to http://accelerate.opera.com which

takes you to go to a short series of Web pages through which you will

select a plan, choose a username and password, provide billing

information, and then download and install the SlipStream software on your

computer. During the installation you will enter the username and password

you selected. The SlipStream software will then launch whenver you boot

your PC and function in an "always on" configuration unless you choose to

change the settings.

Source:www.opera.com

the technical preview has already been posted yesterday in bpn

Oh, BitTorrent integration? That sounds very nifty to me.

I'd like to see that in Firefox, too! (^_^)

586176276[/snapback]

Don't worry. I'm sure the extension writers are already copying it as we speak :rofl:

Don't worry. I'm sure the extension writers are already copying it as we speak :rofl:

586177763[/snapback]

I was just about to say that :rofl:

Only the torrent intergration not working here :( Some strange error appears

BitTorrent tracker communication with torrent: .........:

torrent not registered with this tracker

Will check opera forums to see what is causing that. My BitComet client has succesfully downloaded the file

not bad i guess. i used opera once like yrs ago and it still dont seem good enough to use. ill stick with epiphany.

586177781[/snapback]

I used firefox and epiphany a few years ago and they both sucked, so I'm not going to try them again.

snip...

Not only that Opera has also launched Slipstream.It is similar to onspeed.It costs u $4.95 per month.Which is a little to expensive considering that Onspeed costs  $3.67 permonth.

...snip

586176560[/snapback]

Just though I'd mention that OnSpeed IS SlipStream. More acurately, Onspeed resells slipstream since slipstream doesn't sell directly to the customer.