First computer?

So what was the first computer you started out with? What got you into it?

My first real experience was with my dad's original Apple II. He had all sorts of cool stuff on that. THe graphics were sooo good. Or so I thought at the time.

Then off to a Commodore 64, Amiga and finally a PC where I went and got into OS/2.

What about you guys?

I started off at Windows 98. I learned to use MS Word. One day, my brother was playing Half-life, and i thought it looked real cool. I installed it on my computer, played it for a wile, and realized i needed something other than software rendering. Got my first piece of hardware - a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - and slowly grew to a hardware guru, and now i can build a computer with my eyes closed :) Then i learned Windows 98, then 2000, then Linux, then learned HTML, then ColdFusion, then PHP, then MySQL, then went on to misc. **** like IRC, FTP's, Programming, etc., then i got back into games and stopped learning. Here i am today *sigh* :ditsy:

Havent been around on the scene that long, but i am one bad @ss SOB.

I can't say I have ever experienced "ancient" computing, probably due to the fact that I wasn't born when the Apple II, III, IIc+, etc. were released. :p

I can just remember back to the first computer I ever had.

It was a 486 DX66 (I think ;)) with a CD-ROM and 8MB of RAM (I remember the RAM, because I had to wait to get the extra 4MB :D)

What a beast! ;)

The first computer that was OURS was a 486/SX 25 with 4MB ram. 170MB HDD, 14-in VGA 640x480 x 256 Colors Monitor. Later we added 4x CD ROM drive (which sill works fine) and a Aztch SBPro compatible sound card to it. DOS 6.x and Win 3.1..

Before that, i had worked on Green Screen XT machines (i think) and crappy Apple IIx's. Those were the days...

i had a commadore 64 (dont know how to spell it). it was pimped out with a 5.25 inch diskette drive and a data tape reader(which read data off standard audio tapes). not to mention the 64k of memory. the thing kicked some serious a$$.

First computer: 386--the family computer, which ran DOS and windows 3.1

All I ever did on that computer was play games. One was with 2 gorrilaz throwing bananas at each other (opposite ends of the screen and u had to calculate angle/velocity). The other was with this miner guy..to go mine for gold/silver then go to the surface..and back down to mine s'more. I've been looking for these games for quite a while now..would help if I knew what they were called :ermm:

After the 386 we got a 486 (1.2 gb HD) and upgraded to Windows 95. Learned more about other applications, exploring Explorer double clicking on every little file just to see what it would do :D

Then went on to Pentium 2 233Mhz, and connected to the internet for the first time with a 28.8 modem.

And now I'm with my AMD 1.1Ghz:D

Originally posted by kintamanate

Then went on to Pentium 2 233Mhz, and connected to the internet for the first time with a 28.8 modem.

And now I'm with my AMD 1.1Ghz:D

You have had exactly the same computers I had after my 486. :)

My first ISP was CompuServe (they are not very big in Australia now, but this was 7 years ago :)), I dialled up to them with a 28.8k modem on my 486, then I kept the 28.8K modem and upgraded to a PII 233. Now I have a Athlon 1.1Ghz with a cable modem.

Nostalgia dont ya love it !

I started with a Commodore Plus4 , then a C64 ahhh Last Ninja and Strike Fleet . Then an Amiga 500 , fond memories of Swiv and Silkworm.

Then 386 , 486 , P100 ,p200mmx ,p3 450 , and p31ghz.

Damm the money it has cost me . I love it

/me starts with an IBM 486 DX 33, 8MB of RAM, 503MB HD + 14 inch monitor @ 640x480 @ 24bit color on Windows 3.11 for Workgroup

oh oh oh, that's when everybody was using Pentium 166 MMX then I replace that POS when everyone was using Pentium II 450

Jesus, took almost 20 minutes to load winfiles.com

Here they are in order:

1.) Vic-20 (similar to a Commadore 64, I think)

2.) Atari ST

3.) 286 w/ DOS 5

If I remember correctly, with the Vic 20 I believe you had to insert a tape into the drive and type some really strange characters on the screen to get the games to run. I suppose I must have been near kidnegarden age when we got that.

I first learned about programming at age 8 by copying code from Byte(?) magazine. Each issue contained Basic code to create a game (like Reversey and a neat maze game). I used GW-Basic on the Atari ST, and I suppose I began to understand somewhat what I was telling the computer to do. That was exciting!

In high school my dad brought home an old 286. Well... that was the end of any chance I had to be social during high school. I spent all my time on BBS, tweaking my system, breaking my system, then figuring out how the heck to make it all work again before my mom had to balance her checkbook. ;-)

Oh yeah, and in elementary school we learned Math and how to program in LOGO using the Apple IIe. Does anyone else remember instructing the "turtle" to draw shapes?

I apologize for the long reply... but this is a fun subject. :-)

I first started with an old ZX81 - 1KB of memory with a 16KB expansion pack WOOHOO!!

I then progressed to a Sinclair Spectrum and an Amstrad 464.

After a few years grabbed an Amiga 600 mainly for games and writing music with Trakkers but this was stolen when my home was broken in to :(

It took a few years to get anything else (I'd been using 386 and 486's at work with win3.1 for a while) but in '95 I got a P100 running Windows 95 and have never looked back.

P.

Does anyone else remember intructing the "turtle" to draw shapes?

Yup, I was really good at that!

Anyway, here's how I started:

1) BBC Basic [cassette loading - games including Estra, Crazy Herbert, Snapper, Licence To Kill].

2) 086 [yes, b4 even the 286 - games were limited to Lemmings]

3) 486 [upgraded several times from SX 25 to DX 100 - games included Roger Rabbit and SHADOW OF THE COMET!! *brilliant game*]

4) Cyrix 300 [bAD - games included Half-Life and Final Fantasy 7].

5) I have several computers now because I upgrade a lot but my main computer is a Duron 700 / TNT2 / 256RAM / SB!Live / 15gig, ATA 100, 7200 RAM, Maxtor drive / WinXP

I also picked up a Sega Saturn somewhere along the lines, and though it's overall pretty bad I am glad that I played and completed Shining Force 3 [Final Fantasy clone]... it cost ?40! This was just b4 it went down the pan and was very expensive for a game [especially when I picked up Virtua Cop 2 for 50p from Dixons].

Commodore 64 :D

It would be some time before I got myself a 386 (Win 3.11) and then a 486DX/66MHz (man that was a bitch running Win98)

Like most of the peeps here I spent more time in the guts of a computer than actually using it. These days I have a 1.33GHz AMD and try to stay in the mid-range of computing.

The first computer experience was some kind of main frame. It literally had a seperate room for the tape reels. To say it was big would be an understatement. Obviously I never ownded it ;)

The one I did own were:

- Atari 500XL

- Atari 512 ST

- Atari 1024 STE

- 486 DX2

- P1 166

- P3 667

Whooo, this is easy. I have had 2 computers in my time. First off was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k just after they came out back in the 80's... I was amazed by this wonderful new thing that my Brother had bought. While visiting him one weekend with my parents my Dad and I got a real lecture from my Mom because we were playing flight simulator till 3am. Eventually my Mom gave in to my whining and bought me a Specy too.

About a year later my Dad and I got the lecture again when she caught us playing Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizzards till the early hours of the morning on my brothers new PC, an amazingly fast 086 machine.....

My Mom didn't give in to buying one of those, damn. So I was deprived of any PC during my school career. I ended up working in the IT field and was surrounded by the things but was never tempted to buy one for many years, then in 1997 I bought my first PC, a P2 333Mhz. Not the best buy at the time as there was the 400 Mhz and the 350 Mhz above it but it kicked enough ass for me to be happy. Although my 8 Meg graphics card will not perform too well I am happy with the PC as it runs well for the applications I use. Web design doesn't require much to work...

I would like to upgrade to either an AMD 1.53 Gig or perhaps the 2 Gig P4 but then the wife wants an upgrade to the kitchen or something so it costs quite a packet when I upgrade.... Groan. Either that or I try and get a P3 500 Slot 1 CPU, that's all my MB takes up to, it will be just fine for me.... Costs much less too. Anybody wanna give me one??? LOL.

My first computer: Compaq Presario 486 DX2-66

2nd: Pentium 166

3rd (now): Pentium II 450 and Pentium III 700 (at my homecountry)

4th: Soon (AthlonXP)

zx80 (with 1k expansion pack!)

zx81 (with 16k expansion pack!!! WOW 16k)

Used to program on a Tandy TRS-80, WOW, now that was a neat computer, write control software for amatuer radio.

Sinclair Spectrum 48k (WOW Colour, Alien8, KnightLore etc, even managed to get a MicroDrive, WOW fast loading of games!!!)

BBC 32k (os 1.2, with shite load of sideways roms, and games galore!!!, And it still works..., even had second 6502 processor and memory like the master 128!, had two disk drives, 80t DS DD, total online storage of 800k!!!!, even managed to scrounge a 20mb adfs hard drive and a teletext adapter, remember those???)

Hated the BBC Electron and the Compact 128, but introduced users to the 3.5" floppy, so not bad!

Done some programming on a Oric Atmos.

Played for some time with C-64's, removing protection on games and playing with the fantastic sound chip.

Used my cousins A500, which he upgraded to an a4000, wrote copy protection for games, and then broke the competitions... wonderful days...

Zenith 8086 with 640k memory and 10mb hd, Hercules graphics card, Ran Ventura on GEM.

286-16 with 4mb memory and 40mb hd, VGA, Windows 2.11

486dx-33 with 16mb and 120mb hd, Tseng Labs ET 4000 1mb Graphics Card, Windows 3.11

Pentium Pro 200 with 64mb and 4gb hd, Matrox Millenium, windows 95

Celery 400 with 256mb and 40gb hd, Voodoo 3-2000, Windows XP

My personal Fav, BBC, had the best BASIC, great games and you could do anything the pro's could do at home with no additional tools.

Yea, Elite on the beeb was classic, actually nearly got to "Elite" on a cassette, until i got the disk based one, then spent like an eternity getting to "Elite" status with the disk drive version... :) Still have my certificate from Acorn :)