[science] hurricane question

vincent

Why do they mostly develop in the Atlantic ocean and rarely in the pacific?

Sure i could've googled this, but i wanted to discuss it as well.... ;)

shihchiun

They do. They're just called typhoons instead. Cyclones, hurricanes, and typhoons are all the same thing. It just depends on where they form.

Rob2687

Warm water from the Gulf Stream? It basically flows from the Gulf of Mexico diagonally north accross the Atlantic to Africa and up to Europe iirc. The water temperature has to be at least 26C or something for a hurricane to form.

You don't see them much in the western north american coast because theres mainly cooler water flow thingies there, whatever they are called...

vincent
Warm water from the Gulf Stream? The water temperature has to be at least 26C or something.

586179696[/snapback]

Doesn't it have to do with the cold air coming from the north too. or is that just twisters....

Hum

:happy: It has to do with electromagnetic Vortexes and Energy 'coodination' points -- something like the Poles of the Earth. There are major and minor ones around the World.

Matter is actually created within the Force which materializes as a hurricane. In effect, the Earth slowly grows in size and Mass.

The thoughts en mass of human beings direct the path of the Hurricane.

Note that none of this is yet recognized by present Earth Science. ;)

vincent
:happy: It has to do with electromagnetic Vortexes and Energy 'coodination' points -- something like the Poles of the Earth.  There are major and minor ones around the World.

Matter is actually created within the Force which materializes as a hurricane.  In effect, the Earth slowly grows in size and Mass.

586179769[/snapback]

Sorry but your attempt at sounding intelligent on this subject is bad, very bad. The Earth's mass doesn't increase.

Steven
:happy: It has to do with electromagnetic Vortexes and Energy 'coodination' points -- something like the Poles of the Earth.? There are major and minor ones around the World.

Matter is actually created within the Force which materializes as a hurricane.? In effect, the Earth slowly grows in size and Mass.

The thoughten massi> of human beings direct the path of the Hurricane.

Note that none of this is yet recognized by present Earth Science;);)

586179769[/snapback]

Thank you Professor Hum:dontgetit:t:

Rob2687

Actually it does but only in tiny tiny amounts from objects falling from space.

I think the cold air from the north thing are tornados. Hurricanes are just extreme low pressure systems + storms over water. I guess the Atlantic coast people are just really unlucky to have that nice warm Gulf Stream. :p

Edited by Rob2687

vincent

What i also wanna know is, why do they lose strength as they encounter land?

+StevoFC
What i also wanna know is, why do they lose strength as they encounter land?

586182549[/snapback]

warm water is what fuels them. when they hit land obviously there is no water so they begin to break up and slow down.

Vice
:happy: It has to do with electromagnetic Vortexes and Energy 'coodination' points -- something like the Poles of the Earth.  There are major and minor ones around the World.

Matter is actually created within the Force which materializes as a hurricane.  In effect, the Earth slowly grows in size and Mass.

586179769[/snapback]

hahaha :laugh:

JustGeorge

A useless question from me :)

Forgetting all the negative effects of nuclear explosions, if someone was to navigate a nuclear missle into the eye of a hurricane and detonate it, would the shockwave produced by the explosion be great enough to dissapate the hurricane? I have always been curious about that....

Tungsten T

Forgetting all the negative effects of nuclear explosions, if someone was to navigate a nuclear missle into the eye of a hurricane and detonate it, would the shockwave produced by the explosion be great enough to dissapate the hurricane? I have always been curious about that....

586182581[/snapback]

no, it would create alot of heat and low level wind and intensify it

A much more effective way would be to sprinkle a water absorbing luqid coolant to break the convection in the eye wall breaking it up

vincent
no, it would create alot of heat and low level wind and intensify it

A much more effective way would be to sprinkle a water absorbing luqid coolant to break the convection in the eye wall breaking it up

586182609[/snapback]

And such a material exists, it was created a while back. I was watching a show on the science channel (surprised?, btw tuesdays on that channel rock!) where this material turns into gel when mixed with water. but flying into an eye of a hurricane is very very dangerous and too close to being fatal. but if enough of this material can be dumped onto an eye of a hurricane then it would simply just fall apart in a gel onto the ocean surface. Alot would be needed, i mean ALOT!

JustGeorge
And such a material exists, it was created a while back. I was watching a show on the science channel (surprised?, btw tuesdays on that channel rock!) where this material turns into gel when mixed with water. but flying into an eye of a hurricane is very very dangerous and too close to being fatal. but if enough of this material can be dumped onto an eye of a hurricane then it would simply just fall apart in a gel onto the ocean surface. Alot would be needed, i mean ALOT!

586182624[/snapback]

Wouldn't that turn parts of the ocean into....snot? :rofl:

Dallas

Its beacuse god hates us floridians

bdsams

586182581[/snapback]

id think that this would make the situation FUBAR'd even more...as a hurrican thrives on heat, and the nuke would create tons and tons of heat, while the winds blowing out would create a shearing effect on the clouds somewhat, the amount of warm water that would suck up into the eye i would think make it stronger....

just my crackpot .02 theroy

JustGeorge
id think that this would make the situation FUBAR'd even more...as a hurrican thrives on heat, and the nuke would create tons and tons of heat, while the winds blowing out would create a shearing effect on the clouds somewhat, the amount of warm water that would suck up into the eye i would think make it stronger....

just my crackpot .02 theroy

586183358[/snapback]

But how could the eye of a hurricane remain orgainized in the wake of a nuclear explosion? I'm not talking about detonating a missile on the surface within the eye, I'm saying fly a missle into the center and detonate in the air level with the hurricane. This is also assuming you were able to control the blast radius so that its shockwave would spil horizontally a full 360 degrees.

vincent

Mathematical calculations will have to sort this one out. I'll post this question on another site and post the answers here. But keep in mind that not only will it go 360 degrees it wil reach the most upper levels of our atmoshpere and possible into space itself. A very very dangerous idea but cool to study nonetheless :)

Hum

:rolleyes: I do not 'attempt' to sound intelligent or not intelligent. I simply posted the Truth. As stated, Earth Science is way behind the facts.

You would do well to follow your own Carl Sagan quote:

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be discovered" :happy:

vincent
:rolleyes: I do not 'attempt' to sound intelligent or not intelligent.  I simply posted the Truth.  As stated, Earth Science is way behind the facts.

You would do well to follow your own Carl Sagan quote:

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be discovered" :happy:

586184273[/snapback]

EArth science is way behind the facts? Ok professor what are the facts?

.Kompressor

LOL I believe it has to do with how the wind currents flow around the globe indeed and that they will only form in zones of warm oceanianic temps and climate.

vincent
But how could the eye of a hurricane remain orgainized in the wake of a nuclear explosion? I'm not talking about detonating a missile on the surface within the eye, I'm saying fly a missle into the center and detonate in the air level with the hurricane. This is also assuming you were able to control the blast radius so that its shockwave would spil horizontally a full 360 degrees.

586183615[/snapback]

well i posted the question regarding your curiosity of a nuclear warhead detonating in the eye of a hurricane, and got this response:

The question is "what effect would the shock wave of a nuclear detonation have on the hurricane"? i.e. would it disrupt the hurricane?

I don't know if anyone has modeled it, so it is hard so say what it would do.

Hurricanes are large - area and volumewise.

Presumably to have an effect, a sizeable nuclear weapon would need to be used - probably in the megaton range. Possibly the blast would cause a condensation effect, which would disperse some energy - presumably into the ocean.

The problem is that the energy is still there, and then the question becomes - would the hurrican reform?

A major problem with the idea is the radioactive fallout - which has to go somewhere - like into the ocean or atmosphere. This is a principal reason why atmospheric detonations are banned and all testing has been done underground.

Chemically, not a lot would happen - some of the atmosphere is ionized and recombines. The hurricane is mostly water vapor/droplets dispersed in air (78% N2, 21% O2, + CO2 and trace gases).

Here is the link to the thread btw ;)

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.ph...2177#post672177

ECEGatorTuro

586182624[/snapback]

Dude are you kidding me?! They already fly into hurricanes and into the eye of the storm! How do you think the hurricane center gets all of the data about the hurricane speed, pressure, and wind speeds? There is a plane that flys out and drops several probes into the storm... ni fact, google the term "hurricane hunters" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of links.

And yes, God does hate us Floridians... :no:

My hurricane experience so far is: Andrew in '96 (I was in Miami), Frances in '04 (I was in Gainesville), and Jeanne in '04 (Gainesville, too).

We are a freakin' magnet for hurricanes because of the warm waters around this area. The tropical waves roll off of Africa and make their trek across the warm Atlantic until they reach here. They are then basically steered around by high pressure systems in place over the US. That's why most of them sometimes graze Florida and then fly up the eastern seaboard just off shore. A lot of times a high pressure system makes it all the way over here quick enough to push the storm off and to the northeast.

I'm actually in NorCal right now until December so I now finally get to miss a hurricane season for ONCE in my life!!! :wacko:

Now I have to deal with my parents who are still in Miami! :pinch: Stupid Dennis... GO AWAY!

vincent
Dude are you kidding me?! They already fly into hurricanes and into the eye of the storm! How do you think the hurricane center gets all of the data about the hurricane speed, pressure, and wind speeds? There is a plane that flys out and drops several probes into the storm... ni fact, google the term "hurricane hunters" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of links.

And yes, God does hate us Floridians...  :no:

My hurricane experience so far is: Andrew in '96 (I was in Miami), Frances in '04 (I was in Gainesville), and Jeanne in '04 (Gainesville, too).

We are a freakin' magnet for hurricanes because of the warm waters around this area. The tropical waves roll off of Africa and make their trek across the warm Atlantic until they reach here. They are then basically steered around by high pressure systems in place over the US. That's why most of them sometimes graze Florida and then fly up the eastern seaboard just off shore. A lot of times a high pressure system makes it all the way over here quick enough to push the storm off and to the northeast.

I'm actually in NorCal right now until December so I now finally get to miss a hurricane season for ONCE in my life!!! :wacko:

Now I have to deal with my parents who are still in Miami! :pinch: Stupid Dennis... GO AWAY!

586184551[/snapback]

What you posted makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. :) btw how is sacramento treating you bro? I remember your thread on moving there, just wanted to see how that town is treating ya