[science] hurricane question

JustGeorge
well i posted the question regarding your curiosity of a nuclear warhead detonating in the eye of a hurricane, and got this response:

Here is the link to the thread btw ;)

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.ph...2177#post672177

586184497[/snapback]

Thanks for checking that out, ripgut :)

If you could do away with the fallout, it would be an interesting idea to try out.

ECEGatorTuro
What you posted makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. :) btw how is sacramento treating you bro? I remember your thread on moving there, just wanted to see how that town is treating ya

586184574[/snapback]

Yeah, it's going great! I'm doing a lot of hiking and backpacking with some guys that I met here. I'm also still playing paintball while I'm out here. The only problem is that it is hot and DRY so you don't realize how quickly you dehydrate out there (unlike Florida).

And I'm actually living in Folsom (east of SacTown). I've only been there two or three times driving though and haven't had a chance to actually tour the town. I will soon enough. There are just too many places to see around here!

As far as hurricane Dennis is concerned, it looks like it keeps shifting a little more west each time I see the forecasts. At least the Keys and SoFla won't get a direct hit but they are still going to get a brutal punch from it. My parents told me it's pouring over there right now and the winds are starting to pick up. :unsure:

Thanks God SacTown/Folsom doens't have earthquakes! :yes:

ECEGatorTuro
This looks like a fairly informative article on basic hurricane formation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/unde...ane_cycle.shtml

Also, go to the National Hurricane Center's Website for additional information.

http://nhc.noaa.gov

586185605[/snapback]

Yeah, the NHC's website is really good. They have all of these graphical forecasts and tons of info and satelltite/radar imagery.

Actually, the NHC is real close to my Miami home. It's about 3 miles away... ;) After Andrew destroyed the other one in Coral Gables, they moved it into this solid concrete looking bunker on FIU's main campus. If you're ever in the SoFla area, they do give tours of the facility during the hurricane off-season.

cjbeckwith

Originally my freshman year of college I wanted to go Atmospheric Science. Not like on the TV weatherman or anything, but work at the NHC and fly through storms. No money in it however so I went Comp Sci/MIS. Still enjoy the whole weather thing though. Trying to get a chaser group together sometime to have a go at it.

insurektion
What i also wanna know is, why do they lose strength as they encounter land?

586182549[/snapback]

Because, except for backyard pools, there is no warm water source to power them. They only gain energy over the ocean and gulf once it rains and blows out then it cant get energy from anything anymore.

ECEGatorTuro
Originally my freshman year of college I wanted to go Atmospheric Science.  Not like on the TV weatherman or anything, but work at the NHC and fly through storms.  No money in it however so I went Comp Sci/MIS.  Still enjoy the whole weather thing though.  Trying to get a chaser group together sometime to have a go at it.

586185816[/snapback]

Trying to get a chaser group together? Are you being serious? They fly into the storms in huge planes (I think it's a WC-130 by LM)!! They do allow press sometimes to ride along with them but that's it.

In fact, here is the website to the actual hurricane hunters. Very interesting to read! http://www.hurricanehunters.com/welcome.htm

cjbeckwith

Maybe misunderstood...I am trying to get a chaser group together for Springtime to hit the plains for Thunderstorms, not hurricanes. There is a difference in crazy (chasing severe thunderstorms) and stupidity (attempting to fly small aircraft through a hurricane). :D

ECEGatorTuro

Ohhhh ok... :laugh: I was thinking that you must have been out of your mind! :laugh:

LOC
Maybe misunderstood...I am trying to get a chaser group together for Springtime to hit the plains for Thunderstorms, not hurricanes.  There is a difference in crazy (chasing severe thunderstorms) and stupidity (attempting to fly small aircraft through a hurricane).  :D

586186996[/snapback]

I did a chaser group for about a month back in 97 when I was taking Meterology. Its awesome, but its also very hard work.

JustGeorge
Maybe misunderstood...I am trying to get a chaser group together for Springtime to hit the plains for Thunderstorms, not hurricanes.  There is a difference in crazy (chasing severe thunderstorms) and stupidity (attempting to fly small aircraft through a hurricane).  :D

586186996[/snapback]

There is a fine line between stupidity and having a ginormous set of balls.