Baseball/Softball Cut from 2012 Olympics

"extreme sports" should be left for the xgames.

i just don't like sports where 99% of the best people are in the US. when the rest of the world doesn't play the sport, it pretty much makes it pointless to have a competition. whatever the new sport is, i just hope it's a more "world wide" sport. it's like the US playing cricket....lol...do we even have a team?

"extreme sports" should be left for the xgames. 

i just don't like sports where 99% of the best people are in the US.  when the rest of the world doesn't play the sport, it pretty much makes it pointless to have a competition.  whatever the new sport is, i just hope it's a more "world wide" sport.  it's like the US playing cricket....lol...do we even have a team?

586182741[/snapback]

America has been an associate member of the International Cricket Council since 1965

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/members/usa.html

They are not full members so they do not participate in the "test" matches. Only 10 countries are involved at the elite level.

Squash is a much more vigious sport than baseball.  Trust me, play it properly for 40 minutes and it is much more exercise than two hours of baseball.

Squash is far more of a sport than raquetball (which is relatively more common in the United States) where the ball bounces around so much you rarely need to move.

My dad used to play but all of his squash buddies (even the ones a decade younger) all have long term injuries.  My dad has had knee surgery himself. It isn't an easy sport on your body.

Professional squash players, for example, cannot remain competitive as long as professional baseball players.

586182736[/snapback]

I have no doubt that squash is a hard sport... but one could argue the same thing about table tennis. I just don't see either as "Olympic sports." And I agree that squash is more of a sport than raquetball, too, which also isn't an Olympic sport.

I have no doubt that squash is a hard sport... but one could argue the same thing about table tennis. I just don't see either as "Olympic sports." And I agree that squash is more of a sport than raquetball, too, which also isn't an Olympic sport.

586182785[/snapback]

I included the raquetball reference because raquetball is/was fairly popular in the United States and people often describe squash as "being like raquetball".

Squash is played in most Commonwealth nations. While the global TV ratings of squash are probably considerably lower than the global TV ratings of baseball, it is probably played in more countries.

I offer no support for table tennis.

I know, I understand what you're saying. I understand it's probably played in more places than baseball, and I don't argue that it's a hard sport to play -- I've seen it played, and I don't think I could ever do it (not that I'd want to, personally), but I simply just don't see it as an Olympic sports. The Olympics really used to have a prestige and mystique to them... I really don't see that anymore, with the exception of the time-tested Olympic contests (track and field, swimming, etc).

I know, I understand what you're saying. I understand it's probably played in more places than baseball, and I don't argue that it's a hard sport to play -- I've seen it played, and I don't think I could ever do it (not that I'd want to, personally), but I simply just don't see it as an Olympic sports. The Olympics really used to have a prestige and mystique to them... I really don't see that anymore, with the exception of the time-tested Olympic contests (track and field, swimming, etc).

586182867[/snapback]

I'm a little too intense for squash. I make one bad shot and then I lose about five points in a row because I'm still ticked off and unfocussed. That's also my problem in golf, btw.

I'm better suited to hockey because I can take a shift, verbally abuse the oppenents from the bench and have a chance to cool down before I go again.

Any sport that uses the concept of a "penalty box" must have been created with me in mind.

I have no doubt that squash is a hard sport... but one could argue the same thing about table tennis.

586182785[/snapback]

Table Tennis is the second most played sport in the world.

586182964[/snapback]

I was just about to post something like that. No to mention is a faster sport than baseball thus providing the thrill factor to the table. Another point in favour of Table Tennis is that Europe has some big names in the game and the rivarly with the eastern countries is very intense.

586182964[/snapback]

if thats true, then i would recommend it. it's a very fast and fun sport.

thats disapointing, what they should cut is that stupid a** curling from the winter olympics... its about as athletic as watching grass grow. If that is there then they should include Darts so all the bar hounds can have somthing to shoot for.

they should cut is that stupid a** curling from the winter olympics... its about as athletic as watching grass grow.

586183254[/snapback]

:laugh: so true

curling is dumb, but man, once i start watching, i can't stop! i guess i always loved playing shuffleboard when i was little, and this is like giant shuffleboard.

thats disapointing, what they should cut is that stupid a** curling from the winter olympics... its about as athletic as watching grass grow.  If that is there then they should include Darts so all the bar hounds can have somthing to shoot for.

586183254[/snapback]

Curling actually gets huge TV ratings. Not that that is meant to justify its existance as a olympic sport but I found that surprising. I gather that a lot of old people watch it. :ninja:

It is played in many european countries too.

Ping Pong is a sport?

Next we'll have Butt darts in the olympics.

586183312[/snapback]

butt darts is one of the sports they are considering for the 2016 olympics. it's on the verge of becoming huge.... but it's still pretty underground right now.

butt darts is one of the sports they are considering for the 2016 olympics.  it's on the verge of becoming huge.... but it's still pretty underground right now.

586183504[/snapback]

They'll have to do testing to get rid of the dirty players.

And in softball we didn't get upset last time around. In fact, it was a dominating performance by our girls in Athens. This means less exposure for Jennie Finch :cry: lol.

As for the story itself. I didn't even know they were considering cutting any of the sports.

586181838[/snapback]

Werd, ill be missing Jennie :( shes a hottie!

curling is dumb, but man, once i start watching, i can't stop!  i guess i always loved playing shuffleboard when i was little, and this is like giant shuffleboard.

586183290[/snapback]

Same here man! When I think about it I'm like that's so dumb. But last winter olympics I ended up watching so much of it!! I just can't explain why lol.

Curling actually gets huge TV ratings.

586183319[/snapback]

Probably because it somehow gets that mystic hold on people :laugh:.

Anyone know if this is going to be a permanent change or if they're going to re-evaluate how the events do after London and decide on changing it again?

BTW, the article's been updated

The committee then rejected the five sports wanting to get in. . . . With two slots open on the program, the IOC voted from a waiting list of five sports -- golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports. Squash and karate were nominated but rejected overwhelmingly, failing to get two-thirds approval.

Curling actually gets huge TV ratings.  Not that that is meant to justify its existance as a olympic sport but I found that surprising.  I gather that a lot of old people watch it.  :ninja:

It is played in many european countries too.

586183319[/snapback]

I love watching curling on tv. It's kind of interesting! I find myself trying to flip away from it, but about 5 minutes later I'm back to watching.

how the heck is curling played, i tried watching it flipped the channel, came back to watching it but i couldn't understand the aspects of the game. Just looks fun to play, but i can't even rollerskate :blush: