1988-1991 BMW 735i(pics)

Im really wanting one, there is one for sale by my work for $1000, it needs work, but I think it would be a fun project. What do you think of them? Do you have any pics of them?

post-84197-1120977037.jpg

post-84197-1120977042.jpg

post-84197-1120977048.jpg

post-84197-1120977065_thumb.jpg

it does look sick ;)

I myself have a gorgeous little 1983 BMW 323i 2 door. I'm quietly working away on it. Mucho respect for pretty much any of the older model bmw's. However, any critical work will be very expensive, probably more than what you pick the car up for, so be warned... bmw + shop service = $$$... bmw + DIY = not so much $$$, but still costly :p

It's okay, are you sure it's in perfect condition? THe rear license plate mount says otherwise.

586190210[/snapback]

A bit of rust on the number plate wouldn't stop me from buying that.

Looks great.

It's okay, are you sure it's in perfect condition? THe rear license plate mount says otherwise.

586190210[/snapback]

He said it needs work in his post, read.

Little work and it will be a damn fine car man.

The price is right. I have a BMW 318 (1986) and would highly recommend owning a BMW (I wouldn't bother with anything other than a BMW, Mercedes or Audi).

oh, just fyi, i saw that the rear bmw badge was missing. They're expensive :pinch:

Try and pick up a 2nd hand one from a wrecker with paint thats not in perfect condition, then colour match and paint it up. Cheeper that way :D

That is if you go with it. :D

Yea, thats sick, im working on a 1986 323i right now, and i love those old 7s.

About the BMW badge being expensive, the back badge for my 323 was only $35 cnd from the dealership....

About the BMW badge being expensive, the back badge for my 323 was only $35 cnd from the dealership....

586190340[/snapback]

thats decent, dealers here are quite unreasonable. it would be about AUD$35 for a 2nd hand badge reconditioned. In excess of AUD$100 for a badge for either front or rear on an e28. My e30 had both badges replaced once in its life and they're both in perfect condition.

I've had a few 7's along the way.

Things to check with the E32 are:

Condition of gearbox - does it shift smoothly enough, does kickdown work. There is also a dipstick to check the gearbox fluid level, check that and the condition of the fluid. A change of fluid can make a world of difference to how the box behaves.

Condition of front suspension - does the car steer straight and ride well. Are the front tyres evenly worn across the whole surface? Any wobbles or unevenly worn tyres point to the suspension needing changed. These components are shared with the E34 5 series, so, shouldn't cost the earth.

Electrics - a 735i may not have all the toys that a 750 has, but, make sure what's there works, that the head and tail lights work as they should and that there are no warnings on the check control.

The engine itself and the body should be fairly sturdy. The 3.5 engine was used again across the 5 series as well, and parts should be readily available, but, other than checking the timing chain, provided it's been serviced, it should be in pretty good health.

586190340[/snapback]

Thats good to know. The badge on one of my fathers friends car was punked, and they didt a crap job taking it off. The left a giant gash in the paint, luckly its under where the badge goes.

heh, my dad got the 735IL years ago.. :D It's a nice car but it'll need a lot of work.

And it's an European car, so the replace parts will be pricey/hard to find

If so, get a AC schnitzer engine kit :p

They go like **** my friend ;) Id buy it for that price :p

586192971[/snapback]

It says a top speed of 230Km/h, but i dont beleave that.

We got rid of our 91 735iL earlier this year. It was a sweet ride, handled like a dream, but the repairs & upkeep were becoming more costly than the car was worth. The only problems we had with it were the transmission, which went out in about 99 or so, and a recurring oil pan gasket leak. Every 18-24 months it would start leaking and we'd have to have it replaced. Other than that it was a great car. You just have to accept the fact that they are expensive to repair.

It says a top speed of 230Km/h, but i dont beleave that

230 kilometer/hour = 142.9153742 mile/hour (mph)

That's about right. I had ours up to 140mph for a very short stretch several years ago.

post-81602-1121035842.jpg

I took a better look at it. There are only two spots with rust: one spot is where the lisence plate is, and the other is on the front drivers side wheel area. Its not that bad though. I'd love to buy it. But when I called the guy he had a really heavy accent, so I couldnt really hear what he was saying. But this is what i herd: it is a 1988, has 300,000KM's, And it will be able to pass emissions, but I think he said the front grille needs work. But I looked and Its in perfact condition. I think if i were to wet sand the paint to bring out the shine, and use some chrome polish, i think it would be one sexy car for a first car. The only thing is, its a 7 series bimzz....probably really expensive for insurence because I am a guy and I would be the primary driver :angry: . Is there any Canadian online insurence company that would beable to give me a quote?

Not a bad car for the price. I own an E30 ('86 325 ES). The thing about older bmw's they are do it yerself cars, because dealers (stealers as they are called) charge way to much.

Pick up a bently manual and visit some of the bimmer forums, they are rather helpful.

And to the post above 300000 kilometer = 186,411.3576712 mile, That is nothing for a BMW long as it was well maintained. Ive seen bmw's with over 300k miles on the origanal engine.

Nah, don't get it, 300,000KM is way to much, probably needs a new engine by now. :woot:

586195949[/snapback]

A used 3.5L engine with low miles will set you back around $5,000 (USD).

And be prepared to drop a few grand at the drop of a hat. When something goes, it's not cheap. All in all a great car.

And yes, insurance for you will be much more than the price of the car.

I was talking to a person who knows BMW's well. He said that the engine in this car is the best engine that it can have. Its a "bullet proof" engine, easiest one to work on and the parts are readilly available. And it was nicknames "The Big 6". Does anybody agree that the engine would be easy to fix?