• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Buy 32" - 37"LCD TV

vjsz    0

Well, once again i need your help guys. I will move out of my house to my Apartment so I want to get a nice hdtv (Getting ready for Xbox360 and stuff). I will use it primarily for DVD, regular Tv, and with my Media center(We dont have HDTV broadcast in my country).

I been doing a LOT of research to buy this and for the Budget i have(Around 2K$) and the size of the apartment living room these are the options:

* Panasonic Tc-32lx20

* Panasonic Tc-32lx50

* Philips 32pf9996

* Syntax Olevia LT32HV

I can get the 32lx20 and philips from my country but at a price of 2550 $. I can get any of those from US, with the downside that i will have to get an PAL-N to NTSC converter too. This is why my budget begans to crumble. These converter are naughty expensive (around 300$).

I have read Great review for the olevia and it surprises me for the price.

So the question is: is the olevia good? or should a wait a couple more months i get one of the others?

Thanks

VJS

bangbang023    31

That Syntax actually does look pretty nice. Unfortunately, I never judge a TV without seeing it first. The specs do sound nice, but you should try to find a way to see it first hand, if possible.

vjsz    0

well it is actually pretty hard.Theonly one i could Actually see is the Philips.And it did not impress me much. Altought the source signal was pretty bad(I can believe Who stupid they are at the store down here). Have u see any of the other models?

PrivateStock    0

I was reading some good reviews about the syntax lcd tvs so i decided to go look at one and they looked really nice.

vjsz    0

Can u compared then with Panasonic or Philips?

BroChaos    1

lol....i work for syntax....

there was a sharp aquos 32" on sale at costco for $1400. thats what i'd get.

vjsz    0

it way better?

vjsz    0

I been looking at the Sharp at CostCo its 1499 But i could not find any review of it. It is good? Worth the Extra $?

VJS

bangbang023    31
I been looking at the Sharp at CostCo its 1499 But i could not find any review of it. It is  good? Worth the Extra $?

VJS

586206649[/snapback]

The Sharp Aqous line is BEAUTIFUL.

vjsz    0

Well that actually is a good review :)

sfalcon    0

You can not go wrong w/the Aquos. It's the best LCD I've seen yet.

BroChaos    1

the sharp is a sharp. plus it has hdmi. which ours do not.

vjsz    0

yes, but talking about picture quality and overal endurance..The difference is big also?

1WayJonny    26

I have a UBER amount of experience in what you are trying to do my question to is have you researched this?

1. LCD have burn in VS DLP

i have a 50" DLP from samsung that i use DVI for HDTV, PC, and games

Regarless of the TV your bulb will burn on in 2-3 years depending on how much you keep it on. But DLP wont cause burn-in no matter what

2. Why havent you researched Samsung?

My reason for this is they have a undocumented feature that will let you make small adjustments to making the input go corner to corner

You will need a Nvidia card for your set up as the ATI has wierd BSOD issues when using DVI on the ATI card. (which is a known issue)

If you have heard the Nvidia drivers also have a a HDTV setting that will make it overscan/underscan really easy in the driver settings... but when you need to make small adjustments the Samsung has the little nudge/expand feature to make it 100% as it has native PC support

rules:

1) Make sure you use Nvidia as long as you use DVI (which you should, nothing less i.e. comp cable...

if you need any expert questions answered PM me as i have set up over 20 systems this way and can help you with tons of headaches

enjoy i hoped this help to persuade you to samsung EVEN if you insist on LCD

1WayJonny    26

BTW

for great i MEAN great prices on HDTV's use this site

www.abesofmaine.com

based in coney island NY they have great prices and huge inventory

Enjoy

Also if you want to buy for protection of the future Samsugn has also released one of the first 1080p HDTV's (which PS3 supports)

the reason why this woudl be good if that at 720p or 1080i this will LIMIT the resolution you can view with out making to stressfull on your eyes

YOU NEED TO CHECK THE NATIVE RESOLUTION of the TV (which many manu dont release) because this will be you resoltuionr for games and desktop permantly

why you ask? yes sure you force lets say 1080i on a HDTV that supports 1280x720 native, it overscans like a mother and then in any interlaced format such as 1920x1080i will look great but since its interlaced you will get what they call feathering which is ok for games but not desktop and reading the webpages...

for everyday use 1280x720p is perfect for games and desktop use

but since 1080p HDTVS just came out im stuck with this lower resolution (but dont get me wrong i enjoy my 50" DLP to the max)

my point is my dads plasma (samsung) has this busted native resoltuion

FIND the native resoltuion for you HDTV or you will be sorry =)

trust me broham

Edited by pappmasta

bangbang023    31
1. LCD have burn in VS DLP

i have a 50" DLP from samsung that i use DVI for HDTV, PC, and games

Regarless of the TV your bulb will burn on in 2-3 years depending on how much you keep it on. But DLP wont cause burn-in no matter what

LCD's do not have a bulb like those in DLP's. LCD's have a backlight which has a life span of about 60,000 hours. As for burn in, if it does occur on an LCD, it's only temporary and is usually gone within 15 minutes of watching any kind of video.

1WayJonny    26
LCD's do not have a bulb like those in DLP's. LCD's have a backlight which has a life span of about 60,000 hours. As for burn in, if it does occur on an LCD, it's only temporary and is usually gone within 15 minutes of watching any kind of video.

586209819[/snapback]

Umm no the bulb are very much the same

look up Sony's WEGA LCD bulb problem it will explain it to you

bulbs on any HDTV will burn out in 2-3 years dont listen to the 60,000 hype its like saying this 60 watt bulb last this long it depends on alot of conditions

and its not temp for the burnin effects on LCD if it burns its always there i have seen LCD's with them

where did you get the info that LCD's have a backlight i replaced the bulb's from burnt out ones on LCD's??

**EDIT**

i think i knwo what you ment by backlight, YES PC LCD use's a cold cathode and do not really have burn in but for TV lcd's they use a old school bulb, but yes your were right and wrong, i know its weird =)

Edited by pappmasta

BroChaos    1

huh? the bulb is a bulb...it's round.

backlights are like CCFLs. long and skinny.

bangbang023    31
Umm no the bulb are very much the same

look up Sony's WEGA LCD bulb problem it will explain it to you

bulbs on any HDTV will burn out in 2-3 years dont listen to the 60,000 hype its like saying this 60 watt bulb last this long it depends on alot of conditions

and its not temp for the burnin effects on LCD if it burns its always there i have seen LCD's with them

where did you get the info that LCD's have a backlight i replaced the bulb's from burnt out ones on LCD's??

**EDIT**

i think i knwo what you ment by backlight, YES PC LCD use's a cold cathode and do not really have burn in but for TV lcd's they use a old school bulb, but yes your were right and wrong, i know its weird =)

586209851[/snapback]

You are confusing Sony's LCD Projection TV's with straight LCD TV's. There are LCD TV's out there that are very similar to LCD computer monitors.

vjsz    0

LCD Monitors does not Suffers Burn in issue, Cause they use BackLigth Tech. The Burn in it is produce because the Ispphospores in the CRT for example get wasted after a while. This kind of what happens when u leave a static image for long period.This cause the Isophospores of that region to degrade before the rest and thats why u see the ghost image effect. plasma has the same problem cause they also use isophopores, or in other word the smae principle as CRT tvs.

Lcd's have other problems as Backlight leakage, contrast radios and response time..

Edited by vjsz

bangbang023    31
LCD Monitor does not have Burn in Cause the BackLigth. The Burn in it is produce because the Ispphospores in the CRT for example get wasted after a while. This kind of wate happens when u leave a static image for long period.This cause the Isophospores of that region to degrade before the rest and thats why u see the ghost image effect. plasma has the same problem cause they also use isophopores, or in other word the smae principle as CRT tvs.

Lcd's have other problems as Backligth leakege, contrast radios and response time..

586210740[/snapback]

I'm trying to be as polite as possible, but are not being 100% correct, at all. Newer LCD's, namely the ones from Samsung have no issues with their response time (12ms) or contrast ratio (3000:1). Yes, some models still do have issues, but the good ones don't.

The term ghosting is also being improperly used. It refers to LCD monitors with a slow response time that have a hard time keeping up with fast paced action.

vjsz    0

well bangbang u are rigth, I just used the term ghosting because it explain what happen when a CRT or plasma display have Burn in problems. 12ms its good but not perfect, Plasma display or CRT has not this kind of issues but suffers from other kind of problems..

Sharp Aquos has 800:1 Contrast Radio not 3000:1. the contrast problem and the relatively poor deep blacks are inherent to the LCD technology. I have never see a Sharp or an Olevia in real live so thats was why i was looking for your help.

Toms hardware posted a while ago a very good and detailed article about plasma an crt. I relly enjoy reading it back them and i think everyone here would do so.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050309/index.html

bangbang023    31
well bangbang u are rigth, I just used the term ghosting because it explain what happen when a CRT or plasma display have Burn in problems. 12ms its good but not perfect, Plasma display or CRT has not this kind of issues but suffers from other kind of problems..

Sharp Aquos has 800:1 Contrast Radio not 3000:1. the contrast problem and the relatively poor deep blacks are inherent to the LCD technology. I have never see a Sharp or an Olevia in real live so thats was why i was looking for your help.

Toms hardware post a while ago a very good and detailed article about plasma an crt. I relly enjoy reading it back them and i think everyone here would do so.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050309/index.html

586210804[/snapback]

I edited my post. I meant to type Samsung for the example I provided. Also, the poor black levels are compensated for nicely by the DNIe technology present in the sets.

vjsz    0

There is a samsung with a price matching the Sharp?