• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Buy 32" - 37"LCD TV

vjsz    0

mm..thats escapes my budget...The bad thing its that I have to bring all this S*** by plane All the way to my Country. And shipping cost are awful 5$ per Pound. And that does not include the shipping to my freigth forwarder. I also have to buy a NTSC-PAL converter..so I thind 1700$ its about the maximun I can Pay for the TV at the store. Maybe in a couple of years i will be able to get a better one. Specially if I get the job I am looking in the US :)

Osiris    823

Well im glad you guys cleared that up, I was reading this thinking have you guys even used an LCD?

Just to reaffirm what bang bang said, so theres no misconception, LCDTVs and monitors do not suffer from burn in or bulb problems. I am referring to flatpanel displays in the LCDTV area too, not LCD projectors or projection screens. Ive only ever seen burn in on the first Philips LCDTV that I was using as a monitor, I flicked it off, 2 mins later turned it back on and was gone, have never come across it again. So thats not something to worry about.

As for Ghosting, I question if this even exists. Logically I can asses that slow response times should cause this, but my first LCD Monitor was a 17" AOpen, several years ago, it was poor by most standards 25ms response time if that, and I never noticed ghosting in anything from Unreal tournament, quake to any other games, movies or tasks.

My two LCDTVs have been Philips and LG, so I dont know what help that is to you, my experience is that as TVs theyve both been quite good, as monitors I havent been as happy, but PS2, DVD, and regular TV has been great on both of them.

Eitherway best of luck, the Sharp Aquos line does look pretty nice, let us know what you end up with anyway.

vjsz    0

Dont worry i will post My choice and how it went

I already use LCD monitors, I have a 1901Fp and a 2405 Fp. both have a little ghosting but i can live with that. The 2405 it great for watching HD video . I got a few of the WMVHD and they are just great. I hope i get as satisfied I am with my dell when i finally choose my tv

BroChaos    1

3000:1 is not truely possible for lcd. at best, their black level is .5 nits, and given a brightness of 500, thats a 1000:1 contrast ratio. don't believe that 3000 crap ;)

NateB    3

I purchased the syntax 32" from radioshack.com during a promotion. Got it for $1050 and i love that damn thing. great quality and rivals all the others especially in HD. Crystal clear picture and def. best bang for your buck. Not to mention the amount of inputs it has. 2 composite + 1 dvi plus others... its a beautiful thing man...beautiful.

BroChaos    1

hehe, well glad you are happy :)

if you call tech support...you may just talk to me..... spooky sounds....

sin-ergy    2

Decisions decisions. I'm also thinking of buying a tv here soon but sill can' decide between LCD and plasma. I'm going crazy!!!

NateB    3
Decisions decisions.  I'm also thinking of buying a tv here soon but sill can' decide between LCD and plasma.  I'm going crazy!!!

586214046[/snapback]

Well if you are going below 42", or is it 40", then you have to go LCD as they do not make plasmas that small.

vjsz    0

Yes because of the Pixel size in Plasmas. I will buy the Tv in about 30 minutes.Its between the aquos and the syntax.

sin-ergy    2

How serious is this burn issue in plasma screens? Are there some screenshots out there of this?

vjsz    0

Well they are getting better at this but it is still an issue

vjsz    0

well I bought the Tv today. i decided to get the sharp aquos 32". I read a lot of reviews and it seems like sharp is really good at making LCD's. I will get it probably next saturday or the wednesday after so stay tune for a review.

sin-ergy    2
well I bought the Tv today. i decided to get the sharp aquos 32". I read a lot of reviews and it seems like sharp is really good at making LCD's. I will get it probably next saturday or the wednesday after so stay tune for a review.

586215958[/snapback]

Yup, give us some screenshots too ;) I'm aiming towards the aquos as well :D

vjsz    0

Damn, my bank did not approved the international charges, I knew this beacause the mail of costco , because I receive a call from the bank today asking me if I Approve the Purchase. So i will have to do it again today.

And know I have doubts all over again.

Can somebody tell me real quality differences between this 3:

Sharp Aquos

Panasonic 32Lx20

Viewsonic N3200W

I will buy this today cause i will move to my apartment in august and I want the Tv By them. I also looking for a dvd player ,the Samsung Hd941 seeems very good it has hd upsampling using faroudja DcDi chip. Somebody has this?

It will work fine with this monitors?

VJS

1WayJonny    26
LCD Monitors does not Suffers Burn in issue, Cause they use BackLigth Tech. The Burn in it is produce because the Ispphospores in the CRT for example get wasted after a while. This kind of what happens when u leave a static image for long period.This cause the Isophospores of that region to degrade before the rest and thats why u see the ghost image effect. plasma has the same problem cause they also use isophopores, or in other word the smae principle as CRT tvs.

Lcd's have other problems as Backlight leakage, contrast radios and response time..

586210740[/snapback]

Actually no LCD do have burn-in. It amazes me that no one has ever seen burn in. One of the MAIN FEATURES OF DLP is that it has no screen burn-in.

CRT have burn-in and yes we know how they work and why they burn? Have you ever seen a burned in LCD? I have

CRT

Rear Projection

LCD

all burn-in some worse then others

BangBang:

Yes i understand what you mean i seen the smaller backlight LCD you talk of

bangbang023    31
3000:1 is not truely possible for lcd.  at best, their black level is .5 nits, and given a brightness of 500, thats a 1000:1 contrast ratio.  don't believe that 3000 crap ;)

586213857[/snapback]

With dnie active, the contrast is a simulated 3000:1 and it makes a HUGE difference. DNIe gives the best black levels I've ever seen on an LCD.

vjsz    0

Well bad news, it seems it just wasn't meant to be. Costco says they dont offer the Aquos anymore, damn Bank!!!

Now I have to choose between 2 set wich are around 200$ apart from each other

the

Panasonic 32lx20

Philips 32pf9996 (The one with the annoying Ambientligth)

Now Bangbang, it seems u have seen a lot of these LCD tv, can u recommend me one of these?

VJS

bangbang023    31

Well, the Phillips is a very nice set (ambilight can be turned off), but it doesn't scale 720p images meaning there is a black border on all sides of the image. This keeps it looking sharper than other sets, but means the picture simply doens't fill the whole screen. There's also been a few complaints, here and there, about the annoying a/v input switching. I haven't used the remote, but people say you have to hold down a button for a few seconds to be able to change your current input.

The Panasonic is a decent set, at best. It has poor black levels (because of a low contrast ratio) and isn't one of the most impressive looking sets, in terms of the exterior design.

Personally, I'd probably look more into the Phillips. I haven't had enough time to play with it (we only had it out, at work, for a day or so because it wasn't meant to come to my store). Try to see if there is a way to, if you wish to, scale the image to fill the screen. You could live with out the option, but I'm sure most people would want to get a 32" image when they buy a 32" TV.

vjsz    0

I have read a lot and it seems that does not scale 720P. One guys told me that he bought (I dont remember if it was the Oppo or samsung hd950) a Hd DVD and upscale images to 1080i and worked like a charm, by the way do u try any of these dvds?. There are a few more things to consider. The philips I will buy it from local retailer so i will get warranty, it is Pal-NTSC from factory but it cost 204 bucks more. The panasonic I will buy it from US and will use it a a converter CMD 1200.

So yes, i guess i will go for the philips. If i can get out of the office i migth even go and pick it up today.

Thanks Bangbang!!!

VJS

P.S: I will use it 50% in cable tv, 30 % 480p (or dvd upscaled 1080i) and 20% 720p. For the Movies i have in my media center and some tv shows i have recorded there. And I will hope when Xbox360 comes out they will prefer 1080i :)

bangbang023    31
I have read a lot and it seems that does not scale 720P. One guys told me that he bought (I dont remember if it was the Oppo or samsung hd950) a Hd DVD and upscale images to 1080i and worked like a charm, by the way do u try any of these dvds?. There are a few more things to consider. The philips I will buy it from local retailer so i will get warranty, it is Pal-NTSC from factory but it cost 204 bucks more. The panasonic I will buy it from US and will use it a a converter CMD 1200.

So yes, i guess i will go for the philips. If i can get out of the office i migth even go and pick it up today.

Thanks Bangbang!!!

VJS

586243780[/snapback]

Glad to help. Just make sure you play with the Phillips for 5 minutes or so, just to get a feel if you're going to like it at home. If you have any more questions, post back here.

majortom1981    242

Is there a pic quality difference from say a standard picture tube hd widescreen 32 inch tv, plasma ,and lcd tvs of the same specs?

vjsz    0

I will go to the store today and play with it for a while. U know any of the dvds i mention?

bangbang023    31

DVDs? I can't seem to find a mention of any DVD's in this thread.

bangbang023    31

Oh, DVD players. I've heard very good things about the samsung 950, though I've only seen the 850 first hand. Upscale DVD players do add a nice little extra something to the picture to make it that much better. Don't expect huge night and day differences, but the result is pleasant, without a doubt.