• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[science] 2 questions about Jupiter

vincent    154

This planet is considered a Gas planet and i was watching cosmic odysee on the science channel. and it mentioned that It has no surface. why? :blink:

Also

It has a lethal radiation belt. why? :blink:

Rob2687    72

Because the gaseous elements slowly change to liquid to solid as you get closer to the center and there is no sudden change to liquid or solid. So you can't really define a surface... Don't quote me on that though ;)

iKap    0

haha i kinda agree wit rob... its because its made of gases that cant become solid? so it has no surface its just a big ball of gas.

LOC    1,000
This planet is considered a Gas planet and i was watching cosmic odysee on the science channel. and it mentioned that It has no surface. why? :blink:

Also

It has a lethal radiation belt. why? :blink:

586214517[/snapback]

Hmmm ok.

1. It has no "solid" surface since it is a gas planet. All the gas planets are nothing more than spinning balls of hydrogen and other gases. Here's how it works:

Jupiter has a small rocky core. Around the core is a layer of metallic hydrogen. Surrounding that layer is a layer of liquid hydrogen. Then the layer above is gaseous hydrogen. There is no discernable difference in layers as you descend down into them. They go from gas to liquid smoothly. So there is no "surface" as in a hard layer, or a layer that obviously goes from gas to liquid.

Now about the radiation belt, what do you mean by lethal? As in lethal to us, or as in super powerful?

vincent    154
Hmmm ok.

1. It has no "solid" surface since it is a gas planet. All the gas planets are nothing more than spinning balls of hydrogen and other gases. Here's how it works:

Jupiter has a small rocky core. Around the core is a layer of metallic hydrogen. Surrounding that layer is a layer of liquid hydrogen. Then the layer above is gaseous hydrogen. There is no discernable difference in layers as you descend down into them. They go from gas to liquid smoothly. So there is no "surface" as in a hard layer, or a layer that obviously goes from gas to liquid.

So it's core must be really dense and have an extreme gravitational power inorder to keep that gas from floaint off, because if not wouldn't it be a rock floaint in space? :blink: I need to study planetary science a bit more. :pinch:
Now about the radiation belt, what do you mean by lethal? As in lethal to us, or as in super powerful?

586214549[/snapback]

well i was watching and it was said that it's dangerous to humans as well as probes. a probe being sent to Europa might have only a 30-day chance surviving the radiation field being put out my Jupiter. Long enough for it to orbit, map the moon, land, and send a probe into the icy waters. This is just what i watched on this show, it's narrated by william shatner on tuesday @ 7pm pst on the science channel btw :p

LOC    1,000
So it's core must be really dense and have an extreme gravitational power inorder to keep that gas from floaint off, because if not wouldn't it be a rock floaint in space? :blink: I need to study planetary science a bit more. :pinch:

well i was watching and it was said that it's dangerous to humans as well as probes. a probe being sent to Europa might have only a 30-day chance surviving the radiation field being put out my Jupiter. Long enough for it to orbit, map the moon, land, and send a probe into the icy waters.  This is just what i watched on this show, it's narrated by william shatner on tuesday @ 7pm pst on the science channel btw :p

586214621[/snapback]

Yes, the core is very dense and the gravity is much much stronger than here on Earth obviously.

Jupiter's radiation belt is immense. If visible in the night sky from Earth, it would be larger than 5Full Moon's put together. Even at this distance. They've also discovered that Jupiter has an inner radiation belt also, just like Earth does.

Its also 10 times as powerful as Earth's radiation belt.

Argote    73

as previously said the lack of clear transition between atmosphere and litosphere is why it is said that Jupiter has no surface; as for the radiation belt... it could have something to do with Jupiter's EM field

Boss_Hogg    0

how is there volcanos if its agaseous planet??

vincent    154
how is there volcanos if its  agaseous planet??

586227272[/snapback]

Jupiter doesn't have volcanoes, it has no surface...

zhangm    1,333

I think Jupiter does have a surface. There's gaseous hydrogen up in the highest parts of the atmosphere. Then as you descend, heat and pressure increase. The hydrogen would become compressed into something resembling a liquid slush, and further on, as you're getting near the core, you get hydrogen that has been so compressed that it has turned into something like a metal. Some people speculate that the core of Jupiter is a diamond about the size of Earth. People think the same about Uranus and Neptune. They're different because they have a liquid water mantle.

As for the radiation belt, you all know Jupiter has a lot of gas, and it also has a spin - the fastest in the solar system. The day at the equator lasts just shy of 10 earth hours. This rotation, in conjunction with the massive amount of liquid and metallic hydrogen in the inner layers, creates a massive magnetic field. You end up with what is effectively a giant particle accelerator, which I believe is the cause of your lethal radiation belt. Any loose particle in the envelope created by Jupiter's magnetic field, along with solar particles swept in by the sun, is accelerated to immense speeds, and upon impacting against something, creates enough energy to cause ionization.

Boss_Hogg    0

Yes it dose have volcanos

GoodOlClint    0
Yes it dose have volcanos

586229396[/snapback]

it has storms. but I've never heard of volcanos on it. Got a link?

Clint

ev0|    2

This whole thing got me thinking about a longhorn uxdesk.dll mod called "aero gas" as opposed to "aero glass"

Not sure if it will come to fruition - might be too hard to "grab" the window frame..

:huh: :happy: :laugh:

zhangm    1,333

There is no evidence to support the theory that there are any volcanos in existence on Jupiter.

There are active volcanos (and I use the term loosely here) on Io, caused by Jupiter's tidal forces.

davemania    1

I think the radiation belt is related to the planet's magnetic field. Jupiter have a very strong magnetic field which traps the radiation