• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac Osx 10.1

M3NF    0

I know that when OSX come out it was a shock to most use OS9 users, but when OSX.1 arrives is it going to make our desktop better or worse to work with.

I have been a loyal mac user for many years, and have always prefered mac to peecee, now thou i have a peecee, but its used mainly for gaming.

The future of the mac seams to getting better, how many ppl are planing on staying with mac's?

How many ppl rather OSX to OS9?

Dazzla    5

10.1 was out ages ago, OS X is on 10.1.5 now.

Did you mean 10.2?

If you do then I can say it will be a major improvement. I've tried the beta and I have to say the speed difference is akin to 10.0 - 10.1.

10.2 is going to improve with all Macs but if you've got a 32mb video gard with AGP2x then you are in for a treat because the hardware takes over some of the rendering of the GUI which leaves it silky smooth and frees up the CPU for other stuff.

The windows equivelant of this is MS integrating Direct X 9 into Longhorn for advanced GUI effects. That's how brand new this is. Longhorn isn't due out for years.

Nova_rock    0

yah i think he was thinking of "jaguar" it will be 10.2

i really like X it is very good in my opinion X beats 9 and 8 by far and thos i like windows xp and 2000 more that 8 and 9 X beats them all.

i like to use many platforms, mac's have been my friends for a while and while i us PC's more now days because i do alot of CAD work and gamming, but i still like to consider my self a mac'er

macster    0

OS X is a all-round improvement from OS 9 and I would certainly prefer OS X.

There will come from OS X the next generation of Macs under Jobs :cool: and I think in future I will have more reasons to use my Mac. :evil:

M3NF    0

Yep my mistake i did mean 10.2 , i been of mac's for 2 week and look at me already ;) but i still feel that OSX is great if your running a hign end machine, i was running it on a imac 400dv and it seam rather slow, even tweaking it and havin a gig of mem, and gaming side, well i not go there, i was depress playing quake3 under OSX, the patch was just so bad, i ended up running games from OS9.

Dazzla    5
Originally posted by M3NF

Yep my mistake i did mean 10.2 , i been of mac's for 2 week and look at me already ;) but i still feel that OSX is great if your running a hign end machine, i was running it on a imac 400dv and it seam rather slow, even tweaking it and havin a gig of mem, and gaming side, well i not go there, i was depress playing quake3 under OSX, the patch was just so bad, i ended up running games from OS9.

That's a shame, games on my iMac are pretty good. I play Quake 3, Unreal tourny and castle wolfentein all at their maxed out details and get over 60fps on OS X. That's plenty for me.

Wickedkitten    11

yeah I know exactly what ya mean about osx and os9. When I first stole the cube from my fiance (as he likes to put it) he had a 10gb os9 partition and a 10gb osx partition. He was fine with looking for os9 progs to run but I absolutely hate os9 so I reinstalled os9 and then installed osx right over it so I could just have 20gb to play around in.

After a while Steve Jobs proclaimed os9 as dead so I reinstalled and got rid of classic altogether but some progs have to be installed in os9 and then upgraded to osx so I had to turn right around and reinstall again.

Silvorgold    0
Originally posted by Dazzla

That's a shame, games on my iMac are pretty good. I play Quake 3, Unreal tourny and castle wolfentein all at their maxed out details and get over 60fps on OS X. That's plenty for me.

/me is gonna get Quake 3 n unreal as soon as he gets his mac :D