Slackware 8.1 Downloading

Because of my bad luck with Mandrake 8.2's downloading, I decided to get Slackware 8.1 instead. I downloaded the one ISO available, but I don't think it has all the files necessary. I used the MD5 Checksum and I get the following:

ff ac 0b bd 11 4a 59 23 6a c4 ea 02 3d fe 1d d7

Here are the contents of the ISO:

Folders: isolinux, kernels, slackware

Files: ANNOUNCE.8_1, BOOTING.TXT, ChangeLog.txt, CHECKSUMS, CHECKSUMS.md5, COPYING, COPYRIGHT.TXT, CRYPTO_NOTICE.TXT, FAQ.TXT, FILELIST.TXT, PACKAGES.TXT, README81.TXT, Slackware-HOWTO, SPEAK_INSTALL.TXT, SPEAKUP_DOCS.TXT, UPGRADE.TXT

Because I noticed that some of the files were missing, I decided to download all of the files directly off the Slackware 8.1 directory. However, I'm not done downloading yet and already, the space taken in the Slackware 8.1 directory takes over 800 MB, which is larger than a CD-R. So how do I dissect the files into their composite CD's?

i was reading the readme's on the ftp, and i think there's 2 sets of isos, one is called something like install810.iso, and it doesn't include kde or gnome. then there was something called like slackware-install810.iso, and it was the standard install. but i'm a little confused still too. and i heard they updated the cd that they are sending off for duplication to 8.1.0.1 or something like that, but i don't see this being reflected on the ftp sites. can anyone explain the best iso to download slack, or the best way to install it?

Bro, slack aint as hard to install as everyone makes out...just follow the onscreen instructions...im really new to linux...infact only used it for about 2 week...so yea im a n00b....but i installed mandrake 8.2 no problem and messed with it for about a week and then i d/led slack 8.1 a day after it came out....and it installed first time...

what i say is just read the instructions and GO FOR IT :p

I've a question about this whole linux thing, ran redhat 7.3 the other day, really easy. Trying slackware tonight, here's my question though, how do you go about setting up the new gnome 2.0 interface? I'd sure like to use it, but there's not quite a lot of sites dumbed down enough to tell me how to do it/what to download. I'll check this again after the installation I guess.

Are you sure that only the isolinux, kernels, and slackware are the folders necessary to run Slackware? I have a problem with that since it should include the bootdisks directory so users can create a bootdisk to run the Slackware setup. Or how would I do it anyway?

Webgraph, your running into a problem with the getting the non-iso version (ie downloading everything from the ftp in the 8.1 folder) for a number of reasons. First you're downloading the Source and Extra CD contents which are well over a gig by themselves. The 8.1 pre releases didn't ha ve space for KDE and Gnome on them so you have to dump one and use the other. You'll also probably have to master a CD iso from Linux to make it bootable which can be a real pain if you don't have a burner on your linux box. I had to master it in Linux and FTP it to my windows box and burn it.

I'd suggest downloading the ISO with an FTP program and not with IE or Nutscraper or Mozilla. Since you mention "it doesn't have all the files necessart" exactly what error message are you getting. I've been using Slack for 2 years on and off and I'm quite knowlegeable with it.

BTW for fast mirrors MaddogMDD (and others who feel left out :) :

Try planetmirror.com, ibiblio.org or the bigger mirror sites listed on the slackware mirror site (www.slackware.com/getslack) . If you live in Canada, get it from the Ryerson mirror it is really fast.

Originally posted by Hatter

The install ISO has everything you need to get your system up and running with X and KDE/Gnome. If you need any more stuff, just go to www.linuxpackages.net or the slackware FTP.

I can't find the bootdisk folder on the CD-ROM. The folders in the Slackware directory are a, ap, d, e, f, gnome, k, kde, kdei, l, n, t, tcl, x, xap, and y. Which one is it?

There isn't one. You need the five rootdisks and a boot disk off of the "dirversion" of slackware to go with the ISO. The CD isn't bootable unless you buy slackware.

Then how the F*** am I supposed to install the damned thing since I am not allowed to do online purchases! I tried to use the bare.i image for the bootdisk and when I put it in, I don't know how to install the bloody OS. Jeez, it's the most user-unfriendly install I've ever seen!

Can you try reading a HOWTO or something instead of whining? Upon booting with the bare.i bootdisk (or whatever you used) , the installer/loader asks you to insert the five rootdisks. These are floppies made out of install.1, .2, .3, .4 and .5, found in the "rootdisks" directory. After you've loaded all floppies you simply type "SETUP", and there cha go.

If you can't sort this out with these instructions, I'll just gently direct you here: noob :ponder: :dead:

(Final word on it?) CD IS BOOTABLE. If it's not for you, you very much have the wrong part/s of the distro. I *just* booted off of the 8.1 cd I burned half an hour ago. Download the iso.

To make a long story short, get the ISO.

If you want to know the long story..... There is a directory called kernels and boot on the bootable CDs. These directories may or may not be in the 8.1 directory tree. You may have to go to another tree to do this. I didn't realise this when I was messing around with the RC1 and RC2 candiates. I wasted 2 CDs since I, for some reason, couldn't manage to get the CD's bootable. There is a text file in the /boot directory on how to make the CD bootable by making an ISO. Its much easier to actually downlaod an ISO instead. Since there is no easy way of mastering the CD in windows, you have to create it in Linux. Basically, when 8.1 RC1 and 2 came out, I was trying to trim down the directories and make a bootable CD to install from for a router. I mastered the ISOs in Linux since no instructions were available on mastering the ISOs in Windows. Then I uploaded the images via FTP to my windows computer and burned the ISOs.

Like I said, get the ISOs from a mirror site again or buy them from Cheapbytes. It will save a lot of headaces, premature baldness (from pulling hair), stop from agravating family members and lastly me!!!!(kidding, get the point tho? get the ISO from a mirror site again).

The CD is bootable. I burned an ISO using Nero and will boot to a Slack console to prepare for install. Who ever you were talking with in #slackware doesn't know ####. The one time I went there to talk about Slack the people there didn't know what they were talking about.

The files from the slackware/8.1 trees (i'm talking about downloading the individual files and directories) are not directly bootable unless you download the boot and kernel directories and burn the CD. Read my last post. Get the ISO again if you have problems, run the MD5 check on it and then burn it with Nero. File.....Burn image simple enough.

If I were to make the CD bootable, then I'd have to configure it in the BIOS. Mind ya, I was able to get the rootdisks and the bootdisk no problem. The installation went OK, but now I have a different problem. This time, the X server will not work for some strange reason. I think it has to do with some graphical bootup screen or some such thing that messed it up, but I cannot be sure.