Slackware 8.1 Downloading

Don't see why you gotta go through all that crap when your previous distro is fine. Don't listen to those people that says use X then use Y. Use the one that you can use and customize it from there. If you customize X and Y enough, they will be the same eventually. Also, slack is a bit different from other distros so it's a bit harder to find the info you need on slack.

Oh, and slack doesn't have XF86Config-4.

The reason why I decided to try Slackware is because Mandrake 8.2 will not install some of the important packages. I need either Mandrake 8.2 or Slackware 8.1 because I need the 2.4.18 kernel to get most of my drivers working in Linux.

I got the X server going, but I had to have it identified as a GeForce 2 or a GeForce 3! But now I can't get the hardware to work. So after much consideration, I believe I should go back to Mandrake! Slackware's way too difficult.

Originally posted by PRLYago

There isn't one. You need the five rootdisks and a boot disk off of the "dirversion" of slackware to go with the ISO. The CD isn't bootable unless you buy slackware.

That isn't true..... if you download the iso from

ftp.slackware.com

then the cd is bootable and u don't have to use cd's- as far as i know....

i downloaded the iso twice and have went through 3 CD's, mine doesnt boot. i made the floppys needed to install, all 6 of them, and it tells me that there is a problem with the source (the CD). now i know 8.0 booted off the CD because thats how i installed it, but because it didnt like my vid card and i was and still am new at linux, i didnt want to try to get it too work and i hated command line, so now im trying 8.1 and it doesnt like me. any suggestions as to why i may be having these problems??

TS

Slackware does not have gui settings programs like Mandrake does. Since you hate the command line... well, I'll let you decide on that.

i got it too work, i put 1 disc in my burner and 1 in the DVD and let it decided where it was getting the files from, now i have the system i want.

TS

Originally posted by kennisonxgs

Slackware does not have gui settings programs like Mandrake does. Since you hate the command line... well, I'll let you decide on that.

What are you talking about? The programs that come with KDE and Gnome that configure Xwindows, or the ones to administer the system (some of which are in KDE and Gnome). There is a package manager (pkgtool) which comes with Slack but it won't run in X. Its super easy to use since there is a graphical interface from the shell.

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster

What are you talking about? The programs that come with KDE and Gnome that configure Xwindows, or the ones to administer the system (some of which are in KDE and Gnome). There is a package manager (pkgtool) which comes with Slack but it won't run in X. Its super easy to use since there is a graphical interface from the shell.

Have you ever used Mandrake? Have you looked at all the configuration tools it has?

I wouldn't get the latest graphics drivers immediately. I'd just get my Network drivers installed and then use Mozilla in KDE to get the other drivers. However, I can only access the KDE environment when I start the X server. Mandrake has the drivers pre-loaded for you. So I'll run Mandrake 8.2 for now until I can figure out a way on how to get the other GUI's working in Slackware.

Originally posted by Webgraph

I wouldn't get the latest graphics drivers immediately. I'd just get my Network drivers installed and then use Mozilla in KDE to get the other drivers. However, I can only access the KDE environment when I start the X server. Mandrake has the drivers pre-loaded for you. So I'll run Mandrake 8.2 for now until I can figure out a way on how to get the other GUI's working in Slackware.

At the command prompt:

$gdm

Wow. Let's take a breather. That was tough :p

Slack iso install cd's have been bootable for at *least* the past two years, possibly longer. I'm thinking you burnt the cd incorrectly.

But it must be configured in the BIOS to do it. The boot disk I used must use 5 other rootdisks before being able to install from a CD! The $gdm didn't work, I don't think. But would I use that command and then type the other X environment I would use?

With Mandrake, their CD's were bootable after only one diskette.

With Mandrake, their CD's were bootable after only one diskette.

No, the CDs were never bootable. CDs are only bootable if your BIOS is set so they are. Mandrake just puts more crap on the CDs than slackware does. That's why Slackware is only one CD and Mandrake is three.

You type gdm at the command line right after boot. IT starts X into a WM chooser where you can choose which wm you want to use. You can also use kdm, but I find gdm more flexible.

And from what you wrote, it sounds like your typing "$gdm". You only type "gdm". The $ is the prompt symbol.

I can't even install the Network Card Drivers in Slackware! I did get into Gnome, but I had it with Slackware! Mandrake 8.2 uses 3 CD's because most of the hardware drivers are already included and they have their own configuration utilities! The same goes for Red Hat.

Umm, I keep hearing these voices inside my head, everytime I read that hideous word. That word is Mandrake and the voices repetedly whisper "BLOAT " :p

Back on subject though, whaddaya mean you cant install your network card drivers? My network card worked on slackware right outta the box, didnt have to install any drivers... but what exactly is your problem? Can't find the proper drivers, or can't install the drivers you've acquired? If so, what are the error messages?

Yada yada yada...

I can't even install the Network Card Drivers in Slackware! I did get into Gnome, but I had it with Slackware! Mandrake 8.2 uses 3 CD's because most of the hardware drivers are already included and they have their own configuration utilities! The same goes for Red Hat.

Then you've probably got some pretty craptastic hardware. Here comes the Clue Fairy...ready? The linux kernel includes the drivers for almost all hardware that it supported by linux. So if it's supported in Mandrake, more likely than not, it's supported by Slack. You just gotta figure out how to enable it. Good thing Mandrake is idiot-proof...seems like that's the only type of people using it.

Originally posted by azazel-

Then you've probably got some pretty craptastic hardware. Here comes the Clue Fairy...ready? The linux kernel includes the drivers for almost all hardware that it supported by linux. So if it's supported in Mandrake, more likely than not, it's supported by Slack. You just gotta figure out how to enable it. Good thing Mandrake is idiot-proof...seems like that's the only type of people using it.

lol

You go get em boy.