Slackware 8.1 Downloading

Well my sound card wasn't installed automatically neither and I'm using a kickass SoundBlaster Live! 5.1! So explain me this one! Slackware doesn't install the drivers for you, you have to install them manually. With Mandrake, they take care of that for you. BTW, the error messages said something that the operation was incomplete or something. Probably the makefile has a problem in Slackware. When it comes to testing drivers, they focus on RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE.

Probably the makefile has a problem in Slackware.
You compiling something? Otherwise, makefile would be irrelevant.
When it comes to testing drivers, they focus on RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE.

The drivers and the kernels are all the same, n00b. And who the hell are "they"? It's not like you're comparing Win9x and Win2k when you talk about linux distros. They all use the exact same kernel source, minus some tweaks here and there. If you go to ftp.kernel.org, you won't see different directories for Mandrake, Redhat, Slackware etc etc. It's the same kernel, with the same drivers, reguardless of distro. Here's a hint; in slackware, you're probably gonna need a kernel recompile to get sound and usb hardware to work correctly. But since you're so steeped in driver development, you probably knew that. ;)

Bye bye, thanks for playing. If you want, I have a "Unix for Dummies" book that's about 4 years old. I don't need it anymore, but I'd be more than willing to mail it to you. :p