Sending Sympatico Mail on Rogers Connection...

Ok; here's the deal...

At home I have Bell Sympatico. I use Thunderbird and had to bypass a setting for their SMTP servers to actually send e-mail. To do that you use the following settings;

Server Name - smtp8.sympatico.ca

Port - 25

Username/Password Checked

Secure Connection - No (As SMTP servers are secure themselves)

--------

So here's the deal. I copy all my files and settings from my desktop at home onto my notebook; fine.

And now I cannot SEND e-mail now that I'm at my friends house on Rogers for some reason. It's saying it cannot access the SMTP server.

Exact error:

Sending of messege failed.

The messege could not be sent because connecting to the SMTP server smtp8.sympatico.ca has failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections.

Anyone know what's going on?

In order to send mail with sympatico you have to supply the password and login associated with the owner of the account... I'm afraid their policy to restrict other users from sending mail is restricting you from sending mail (because you're currently connected to a rogers internet connection).

Either send it via rogers' smtp server, or go back home to send your email out.

I'm a travelling DJ and I wanted to save all my sent msg's so I didn't want to use the online setup that Bell has.

What is rogers SMTP server then as I'll try and use that for the time being. I forsee this being a problem around the world though as I'll have to continually change SMTP servers :s

EDIT - It's connecting fine, so it indeed will send...however it is asking this;

Please enter your password for myname@sympatico.ca on smtp.broadband.rogers.com

What password is that? My Sympatico one or the Rogers account password at my friends house?

I'm a travelling DJ and I wanted to save all my sent msg's so I didn't want to use the online setup that Bell has.

What is rogers SMTP server then as I'll try and use that for the time being.  I forsee this being a problem around the world though as I'll have to continually change SMTP servers :s

586238179[/snapback]

I don't know the smtp server off the top of my head... you can check out www.rogers.com I guess... if you're going to travelling a lot you may have to look for another solution... I'd suggest hotmail but I'm assuming you want to use Thunderbird to write/recv mail...

... IRC there may be a gmail plugin for Thunderbird which would allow you to write/recv gmail using Thunderbird.

EDIT - It's connecting fine, so it indeed will send...however it is asking this;

Please enter your password for myname@sympatico.ca on smtp.broadband.rogers.com

What password is that?  My Sympatico one or the Rogers account password at my friends house?

586238179[/snapback]

It's asking for the rogers account and password... the login is the @rogers.com email address of your friend, and the password is his password.

Wave,Jul 19 2005, 19:50]

Secure Connection - No (As SMTP servers are secure themselves)

586238134[/snapback]

A standard SMTP server will not have a secure connection (SSL) the communication is carried out in plain text (apart from password I believe). While it does use Authentication, this is not the same as having this box checked, which will enable SSL for the SMTP connection.

Edit: A GMail plugin is not required as you can access gmail email through standard POP3 and SMTP connections.

It's asking for the rogers account and password... the login is the @rogers.com email address of your friend, and the password is his password.

586238212[/snapback]

It's not asking for login information so theoritically if I can find the rogers password it should send fine?

Hmm....regardless wherever I go this is going to happen.

What is this solution to send e-mail through gmail and thunderbird you guys are talking about?

It's not asking for login information so theoritically if I can find the rogers password it should send fine?

Hmm....regardless wherever I go this is going to happen.

What is this solution to send e-mail through gmail and thunderbird you guys are talking about?

586238228[/snapback]

It should... I'd try sending it to yourself as well and see if the mail actually gets delivered.

AFAIK, Sympatico migrated its servers to Hotmail. Therefore you'd have to use these settings:

TLS enabled

smtphm.sympatico.ca - port 25

User name: YOUR EMAIL (not b1xxxxxx)

I'm not sure if Sympatico discontinued its older SMTP servers.

If this doesn't work please disable the email scanner in your antivirus software. This caused a problem for me last year when Sympatico migrated servers.

I've decided to switch up everything and just use the forwarding and POP sending via gmail. It'll be a lot more usefull for travelling.

Thanks everyone for their assistance ;)