Microsoft OneCare Beta

Beta tested for a while. The program itself was okay, other than the slowness... Got rid of it and went back to AVG Free.

586502566[/snapback]

It's slow as hell here too... Just installed back Zonealarm...

Anyone having issues recently with OneCare. One of my machines is is throwing up an error that says OneCare has been stopped and that I should reboot. Tried that and it still wont come up.

OneCare is now showing outdated virus definitions.  Doing an update returns a successful update but the OneCare center continues to show red - outdated warnings??  :pinch:  :crazy:

586569384[/snapback]

does it want you to backup? or is it only the virus defs? mine is up to date as of today...

does it want you to backup? or is it only the virus defs? mine is up to date as of today...

586569454[/snapback]

No, everything else is good. It shows the defs as out of date yet will apparently update and will say so in the info popup confirming the update.

update:

I unloaded OneCare build 0.6.0692.20 and loaded 0.6.0692.36 and all is green again with latest virus defs. I had assumed that build updates were an automated process or at least a bit more intuitive but all appears well......for now. :unsure:

Edited by samuraijak

:angry:  I took part in the survey and WHY did'nt i receive an INVITATION???  :angry:

:angry:  fustrated! :pinch:

586571866[/snapback]

Coz you're in singapore. I was aware it was US-Only.

No, everything else is good.  It shows the defs as out of date yet will apparently update and will say so in the info popup confirming the update.

update:

I unloaded OneCare build 0.6.0692.20 and loaded 0.6.0692.36 and all is green again with latest virus defs.  I had assumed that build updates were an automated process or at least a bit more intuitive but all appears well......for now.  :unsure:

586571182[/snapback]

every time there is an update I get a little pop up saying "currecntly updating please wait..." its updates and when it finishes i can use one care again.

every time there is an update I get a little pop up saying "currecntly updating please wait..." its updates and when it finishes i can use one care again.

586573269[/snapback]

Mine does the same for virus def updates but not for the build update........odd :blink:

just got out of the 1-1/2 hour chat.....it was quite interesting!

Who would miss a chat with Obi Wan Kenobi and Luke?

BTW, I got an e-mail from the beta team:

The product team has sent the following comments to you regarding your bug report titled,

"Unable to update":

Thank you for your contribution in improving Windows OneCare Live and helping us discover issues

during the beta. This particular problem has been fixed and an update will be included in our

next version. Again thank you and we are looking forward to hearing from your beta experience.

Sincerely,

Jim Copfer

Beta Team

:)

I was at work so I couldn't attend to the chat. I have a question though, and yes, I'm an official beta tester who's already brought this up in the newsgroups, but I just got notified that my MIRC client was marked as a virus. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Ummm, I just got the Beta kit in the mail. This is bizarre. What the heck am I supposed to do with it now? I've been testing for months, and have already submitted two bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Important information about the next Windows OneCare release

Posted October 19, 2005

The next version of Windows OneCare contains significant improvements and changes. As a result of these changes, existing firewall policies and antivirus exclusions on your system will not survive the transition to the new version of Windows OneCare. Once the new version is released, your firewall and antivirus settings will be reset to the defaults, and you will need to make your firewall Allow/Block choices and any antivirus exclusion selections again. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this one-time event.

Looks a new build is coming.

Build 0.8.0794.32 has a few nice additions. I really like being able to backup to my external drive automatically and scanning individual files and folders is good to see.