Microsoft OneCare Beta

For those that want to see what it looks like... here it is. Note: the screenshot is in JPEG, not PNG, so you probably don't get to see the alpha rendering in the actual program. It actually looks shiny on my LCD display.

In case you are wondering, the Performance Tune up feature is basically performing the following tasks:

- Check your computer for virus (scanning kinda slow as opposed to Symantec)

- Check your computer for files needed backup (not sure about its backup criteria yet)

- Defragment your hard disk (not sure if it is using its own built-in defrag program)

- Remove unnecesary files from your computer

post-656-1121810959_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThunderRiver

lol, yeah well, it seems no one cares about NDAs now days. Sometimes I wonder why Microsoft even bothers. Anyway, JPG, PNG, they'll all show the same thing in a screenshot. However, I would say that should stop using mspaint :p

One thing I notice with OneCare is that it has its own built-in disk defrag feature. Thus, it is having some conflicts with Executive Software Diskeeper. Whenever OneCare finishes defrag, Diskeeper will display the drive as moderately fragmented. That's a problem I will report to Microsoft.

Furthermore, once OneCare is installed, it fully takes over the Windows built-in Firewall as shown in Security Center.

On the side note, according to the internal newsgroup, beta testers will be allowed to install OneCare up to 20 different machines :)

post-656-1121829101_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThunderRiver

Anyone with screenshots, feel free to PM me and I will mirror them for everyone else to see. I would like to get a peak myself! :yes:

586240951[/snapback]

Screenie Here

Also, there's a discussion about it here.

frankly this thread should have been in the jokes section

iam still laughing reading all those replies

:D  :uberhump:

586241012[/snapback]

Yes, that is one of the many things that I love about Neowin. You SOBs have a good sense of humor and unlike many other forums, the moderators are friendly, fair, and helpful. Three cheers for Neowin!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

i cant wait for onecare to be out, i have been waiting for a program like this, at the moment i spend about hour every week doing defrags, cleanup, and all the scans, it will be nice not to have to worry so much about it.