[CRICKET] Ashes 2005 Thread

It won't last. You'll have it back in 2 years time.

Australia will win the series 5-0.

Unless the weather is bad.

586305799[/snapback]

Warne will take 8 wickets. Poms will be all out for 150.

Aussies will pass their score 6 wickets down.

Australia will retain the Ashes.

586511494[/snapback]

all you poms can laugh now but when we lift the ashes trophy you will be in tears

586360660[/snapback]

Ha!

Why has only one Aussie posted after page 9? :D

Shane Warne = :o

Amazing bowler

Edited by ]SK[

England have won the series fair & square; dominating four test matches out of five.

Considering about 3 of those games came down to the wire or the difference of about 5 overs I really wouldnt say it was a domination.

I think Australia did it's best to bat itself out of this series but, we batted terribly in every single game. I mean, I feel that Hayden, Ponting, Martin, Katich and Clark would all be viable canidates for being dropped but the only reason they wont be is because as someone said they have built up some sort of "undroppable status". That includes Hayden, I dont think scoring runs in one innings in this year should be enough to save him. If he bats well at a state level let them back into the team then but we may as well be playing our best team and we have batsmen at the state level who really do deserve a place above these other poor performing players.

I think Australias batsmen should really just look at themselves and reevaluate their games, especially considering Shane warne for about half the series was our top scoring player and Brett lee on several occasions was up te top of the batting chart. How we didn't overtake Englands score in that last innings after the start the openers gave us is really beyond me.

Ohh and dont get me started on Pontings Decision not to bat in the poor light. I realise it would be risky AND hard, but Australia had to win that game, England did not. His decision to get off the field two days running was perhaps the most gutless and stupidest decision I've seen an Austrlian captain make. Sure it would be a gamble to stay on, but it's a gamble that had to be made and it's decisions like that that turn the tide in games like this.

Anyway congrats England, despite my oppinion we lost the ashes as opposed to being beaten by a particully great team, it doesnt change the fact we were out played.

Besides, its about time you won the ashes back :p

Edited by Smigit

Im an aussie but you gotta give credit where credits due ...well done poms!

Its about time the aussies lost otherwise sport like cricket gets so boring if the same team keeps winning all the time.

Anyway im sure the aussies will be gunning for them next time.

Meh, someone had to do it 

lmfao! nice pic

Australia are going way downhill in the sporting world.

the only sport i really see us going down in is the rugby..big time.

football (soccer) we are on the up

basketball we are definetely on the up

cricket.. i don't think we are going down but some of the guys need to pull their head out. i still believe australia is better than england even though england were the dominant team during the test series...

and one more thing why did england get a parade just for winning a test series? it's not like it's a world cup or a champions trophy. i suppose you's a re just jumping on the cricket bandwagon because your england football team is being pwned by the likes of northern ireland... and australia hehehe

Well done, England, you deserved the win.

Another loser here in Australia was Kerry Packer. His Channel 9 Network has the options on cricket broadcasts but it was decided this series was not going to be a ratings winner.

The options were forfeited to SBS, the government-supported ethnic broadcaster.

The options were forfeited to SBS

yes sbs did a magnificent job with the broadcasting of the ashes. if they didn't do it only quarter of the population would have got to see us lose:p as only quarter of us aussies have pay tv (i didn't at the time but should be getting installed within a week because i don't want to miss out on the premiere league)

Well im glad they won, i was barracking for them after what happened in London recently. Figured they could do with something to collectively cheer them up :)

Considering about 3 of those games came down to the wire or the difference of about 5 overs I really wouldnt say it was a domination.

586517775[/snapback]

You are right that it came down to the wire but I'm looking at the number of days/session dominated by any one team.

I think Australia did it's best to bat itself out of this series but, we batted terribly in every single game. I mean, I feel that Hayden, Ponting, Martin, Katich and Clark would all be viable canidates for being dropped but the only reason they wont be is because as someone said they have built up some sort of "undroppable status". That includes Hayden, I dont think scoring runs in one innings in this year should be enough to save him. If he bats well at a state level let them back into the team then but we may as well be playing our best team and we have batsmen at the state level who really do deserve a place above these other poor performing players.

586517775[/snapback]

I think the "undroppable status" has a lot to do with lack of bench strength in the Australian ranks now. 2-3 years back they had 3-4 "in-form" players sitting out and used to follow a "rotation system". Where is that gone now ? Like I said, Australia needs some new/fresh talent. Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Ponting, Katich, Warne, McGrath are all well past their 30s (except Katich) and they need to start looking for their replacements now.

Australia is looking to be in a real mess now. Ponting said already that he shouldnt be blamed if Australia lost the Ashes before the final test started.

586523519[/snapback]

Add cricket to that list. ;)

i still believe australia is better than england even though england were the dominant team during the test series...

586523519[/snapback]

Better team is always the one which plays better on the pitch, its not like one-day or twenty20 which is a hit or miss type of game. If you have a bad day, you can always come back.

and one more thing why did england get a parade just for winning a test series? it's not like it's a world cup or a champions trophy.

586523519[/snapback]

I think its well deserved. I havent seen any series as intense since the Australia-India series back in 2001.

I think the "undroppable status" has a lot to do with lack of bench strength in the Australian ranks now. 2-3 years back they had 3-4 "in-form" players sitting out and used to follow a "rotation system". Where is that gone now ? Like I said, Australia needs some new/fresh talent. Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Ponting, Katich, Warne, McGrath are all well past their 30s (except Katich) and they need to start looking for their replacements now.

The thing is we actually do have a few very capable players who just haven't had a chance to step up to the plate yet. I can't actually spin any names off my head atm since I havent followed the local game so much but a few have been mentioned recently.

Warne you could always replace with MacGill I guess, but why bother, his age isnt an issue yet, I think he has a few more years in him and his batting has only been improving. McGrath too is still able to trouble any player in the world at the peak of his game.

It's the other player's I'm more concerned about. A team can usually afford to have a couple of players in a form slump but Australias entire batting lineup seemed to be doing miserable with the exception of one player each game. Hopefully they can fix that, on paper it's an extremly stong lineup and one that has been beating teams for years. To put things in perspective, it's only been the last 2 months that Australia has really performed poor at an international level and while it's not gopod for the team, it's certainly not a crisis yet and I dont think it's enough to say they are loosing their touch.

Football is another issue, someone please get rid of Eddie Jones (I never liked him). I so long for the Rob days with Eels as captain, little at the top of his game along with bourke, tune and the rest of them. Right now we are missing any really inspirational players.

lmfao! nice pic

football (soccer) we are on the up

basketball we are definetely on the up

cricket.. i don't think we are going down but some of the guys need to pull their head out. i still believe australia is better than england even though england were the dominant team during the test series...

and one more thing why did england get a parade just for winning a test series? it's not like it's a world cup or a champions trophy. i suppose you's a re just jumping on the cricket bandwagon because your england football team is being pwned by the likes of northern ireland... and australia hehehe

586523519[/snapback]

Tennis. You only have one player in the top 50 mens.

Football, since when has England been good at football? :rofl:

But yeah, who cares if it's a bandwagon? At least people are aware of it now, and hopefully more kids will play it.

yes sbs did a magnificent job with the broadcasting of the ashes. if they didn't do it only quarter of the population would have got to see us lose:p  as only quarter of us aussies have pay tv (i didn't at the time but should be getting installed within a week because i don't want to miss out on the premiere league)

586523597[/snapback]

they onli did a 'good job' cos all the ownage commentators were from the channel 4 commentary....Greg Mathews and Dean Jones were pretty crap ...all they did was make some random comments which were most probly obvius to the viewers.....still they did do a good job keeping it free to air