Mars Spectacular!

I got this email from my dad today..... Is it true? :ninja:

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at 3 p.m. By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

post-13623-1121963981_thumb.jpg

IF it was to get as close to us like this hoax says it will. tHe gravitational effect on our moon or possibly our own planet might be effected, thus running a chance to effect our orbit. but then who knows since it will never happen and that is just a thought of mine.

• 1 month later...

The real deal

Mars

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within

34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear

25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10 pm. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

I looked at it yesterday it was a small dot nothing more, I'll look today and see agian and ifs its not as big as the moon...

ITs not a hoax mars is still out here and it was almost as big as the moon wasn't as big as today as like 25 for me just thought the moon has never been there before then it came eh thats mars.

ITs not a hoax mars is still out here and it was almost as big as the moon wasn't as big as today as like 25 for me just thought the moon has never been there before then it came eh thats mars.

586443125[/snapback]

What is a hoax is the BS email flotaing around, stating that Mars WILL be AS close as the moon, which is not true.

Mars is on a more elliptical orbit, it WILL be clsoer than normal, BUT it will not be as close to to the earth as the moon currently is. If it WAS then you might as well head for the hills, becase the disaster on Earth would be tremendous due to the gravity.

It seems to almost the size of the moon, but it isn't really that close fbecasue you would be right if it got to close and it would cause alot of problems.

Haha, how can someone think that mars could be so close to earth that it would appear to be the same size as the moon! :laugh:

Read the little article by NASA, it clearly explains it.

If Mars appeared to be at such a distance that it took up as much of the sky as the moon does, we'd all be up **** creek without a paddle.

-Ax

I'm scared.

If it gets that close it will be easy for those martians to attack our planet with their death rays. I would suggest that eveyone put there phaser beams on "phunk."

Hah, if it was getting that close, NASA would bite at the chance to send astronauts there.

586496428[/snapback]

There wouldn't be any astronauts to send :| Earth would be ......