Vista goes Next-Gen

My only concern would be a somewhat sluggish interface like when using OSX. Sure there are people that say it runs fine, but even on the fastest machine, it feel sluggish compared to my XP boxen. It sounds great, but even some of the above was marketing speak. I guess I am skepticle after 13 years of MS hype.

586254309[/snapback]

yes thats what I fear too :cry:

Define sluggish?

I wouldn't call the OS X Interface I'm running now sluggish.

586254319[/snapback]

OS X interface is definitely slower as compared to a decently powered XP-PC. Sluggish as in time it takes to show menus, window resize etc etc., the normal way you use it. Just compare Finder to WExplorer and you will see his point. But I think that is the price to pay when using eye candy. Hopefully Microsoft will do better than Apple on this since they actually make WGF/DirectX and are not bound to any standard like Apple is (OpenGL)

Off topic (kinda)

yea define slugish, cause my powerbook is lightning fast compared to most xp machines ive used...

586254332[/snapback]

Even the Athlon rig in your signature will beat any powerbook out there, not just yours.

Again :unsure: bring on the eye-candy but please don't slow down WExplorer and others. :pinch:

"This means no Warez anymore."

AH HAHAHAHAHA  How much you wanna bet on this one?

586254462[/snapback]

Yeah, I highly doubt that will happen. If it does have so much DRM, no one will buy it. Who wants more DRM?

So we are being told we need a 3.6ghz CPU which is top of the range and 2gig of ram and a graphics card that doesnt even exsist to run a operating system at its best settings.

What happend to the days when a 1ghz CPU and a gig or ram with a 32Meg graphics card was good enough to run a operating system at its best and i thought my 3.2ghz CPU and 1gig of 533mhz ram and my ATI X850 XT PE graphics card would last me a long time before it was out of date. :no:

So we are being told we need a 3.6ghz CPU which is top of the range and 2gig of ram and a graphics card that doesnt even exsist to run a operating system at its best settings.

586255418[/snapback]

hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing. I really doubt the fact that 1 GB videocards will be a standard on the more higher-end computers in less than an year.

If those specs are really true we get to be lucky if we can run Windows Vista in classic-enviorment on our current machines. :p

Define sluggish?

I wouldn't call the OS X Interface I'm running now sluggish.

586254319[/snapback]

Well I would choose Mac OS X over Windows XP any day of the week but Windows does have faster responds times atm. Generally speaking that is.

Edited by PureLogic

Also does Bill think that we will all buy brand new computers just to run his new operating system, i really think he has his hopes too high.

You can stay on XP nobody is forcing you to buy Vista or buy a new computer for Vista, and im sure they will drop the requirements a little.

the "highest settings" speculations on minimum requirements are absurd. There are also numerous grammatical errors in the body text.

586254155[/snapback]

thats some nice credz you give him after writing a long "preview" rudeface.

nice article anyway! thanks for sharing.

i dont understand why everyone is complaining about the specs. hardware will have changed a lot by then. and since they promised it will be more stable and faster i dont see any reason to worry.

I agree with Trek, no offense to the writer but I think the entire thing should be read with a grain of salt. Those requirements made me loose all credibility for it.

thats some nice credz you give him after writing a long "preview" rudeface.

nice article anyway! thanks for sharing.

i dont understand why everyone is complaining about the specs. hardware will have changed a lot by then. and since they promised it will be more stable and faster i dont see any reason to worry.

586255659[/snapback]

I had no intention of giving him 'credz' smartone.

Also does Bill think that we will all buy brand new computers just to run his new operating system, i really think he has his hopes too high.

586255452[/snapback]

Eh? Doesn't everyone know that there will be lower graphical settings to accomodate users with lower spec machines?

You will probably be able to install Vista on a 5 year old machine.

oh well if it has this much drm we all know people will be on win xp ripping the crap out of cd's and movies then sharing. And this MPAA/RIAA with having a compatible monitor is still not a candid idea.

oh well if it has this much drm we all know people will be on win xp ripping the crap out of cd's and movies then sharing. And this MPAA/RIAA with having a compatible monitor is still not a candid idea.

586255725[/snapback]

there are always a way around something.

Those requirements are ridiculous... is for sure that any today's good pc can run Vista perfectly... It is only a OS... not Doom 10 XD

I agree about the high requirements. It's an OS, not a game + graphics showoff + console + etc.

Documents don't have a icon anymore that shows the file-type, but it shows the first page of the document. Folder-icons will show you the inside files by using 3D technology. You'll see the files coming forward in a slideshow while you're watching the folder.

That sucks, IMHO. I'll miss being able to glance at a file's icon and know that it's an HTML file or an NFO or something. Plus, how much of a document can you read on a 32x32 icon? And I've somehow always had an aversion to huge Mac-esque icons; they don't let me fit enough on my desktop.

Update 11: COPY PROTECTION

Microsoft has teamed up with Disney and a lot of music labels to improve copy protection for movies, music and software using digital rights management functionality in Vista. Microsoft said they will use heavy copy protection schemes, so users won't be able to copy digital media. This may scare of a lot of consumers, but Microsoft doesn't worry about that, because eventually everyone will go Vista (their words). This means no Warez anymore.

That sucks. DRM is going a bit too far. I mean, I know they're well-meaning (at least for the producers), but taking away and/or limiting the free public's rights is just wrong. I dread the day when the government(s) control every single transaction, every purchase, every electrical grid, everything. DRM is just one step closer to the bleakness of non-free society :no:

Just my $0.02.

Rotating flash memory? :blink:  :laugh:

Very interesting read, I can't wait.

586254207[/snapback]

Now that would be cool....and quick! :rofl: