Destroying my TV

Okay, so here's the deal (and I'm not even sure I'm in the right section, but hey...worth a shot).

In September of last year, I finally made the move and bought my own TV (I'm a 19 year-old college student, so this was a momentous occasion :p), a 27" WEGA with component input which I was LEAD to believe, BY MY FELLOW BEST BUY EMPLOYEE, would do 480p and upwards. Yes, I'm an idiot, but at the time I thought, "Hey, $400 for HD is a hot deal." I also purchased an Extended Service Plan 'cause I live in Florida, and have had bad experiences with heat and liquids before.

Yeah so needless to say, I was owned. But I kept the TV because there was nothing else in the price range that DID 480p.

Now the store is selling this 27" Samsung that does up to 1080i, and it's $450. Me likey. I have decided to sacrifice my WEGA.

Problem is, I can't just trade my TV in; the Service Plan on TVs doesn't allow for wanton replacement just 'cause I "feel like it." The TV must have damage of some sort.

There were some problems with the TV from the get-go which I'm assuming were inherent, but I'll list them anyway.

1. Image is flickery, particularly in 16:9 mode.

2. Image is not straight, it bends at the top, and never fits exactly inside the frame of the TV.

Here are the rules for the Service Plan:

No physical abuse of any kind (I'm assuming they're only going to take a basic look at it, but still; let's not use a baseball bat).

Heat, electrical, humidity, and dust-based damage are all permissible. I'd rather not spill a drink, either.

So...any ideas as to what I can do?

1. Image is flickery, particularly in 16:9 mode.

2. Image is not straight, it bends at the top, and never fits exactly inside the frame of the TV.

586258457[/snapback]

Shouldnt just those two be enough if you say you noticed the changes within the last week or so?

try and apply some seriously powerfull voltage to it, dunno how, but that shud blow it to pieces. try and remove a resistor from it or something.  :p

586264990[/snapback]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...nice (Y)

try and apply some seriously powerfull voltage to it, dunno how, but that shud blow it to pieces. try and remove a resistor from it or something.  :p

586264990[/snapback]

LOL :laugh:

ya take it back say the problems and say i would like to go with this tv instead. happens all the time at future shop where i work.

My dealings with Best Buy extended warranties (on a laptop) had them send it off and repair done after waiting 3 weeks. I believe it depends on whether the model is still in production or obsolete. Since you work there maybe some inside info on how to get a replacement without all the waiting.... :D

opening up the unit and doing that is just dumb. when the unit is checked at the repair center they will find thoes man made faults and they will properly not repair them. even if its under extended warentie

just do like i said, tell them whats wrong and you would like to go for this one instead and will be happy to pay the difference if there is any. they most likely wont have a prob since you bought the warranty.

• 2 months later...