• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nintendo President on Revolution resolution

jerry    0
i actually rotate between zork I, II, & III quite regularly....

586272191[/snapback]

So you dont play the latest games ? :sleep:

NEVER85    246
yup, anyone who denies the importance of graphics is a hypocrite.  otherwise you'd still be playing text based games with good plots...

586272159[/snapback]

I'll take the SNES over the GC/PS2/Xbox anyday.

Kyle 899 mckay    0

although yes i agree RE4 had good graphics and better than ps3 and xbox 360 but you have to keep in mind x box 360 and ps3 arnt out yet and still have a ways to go before they are finished.

BroChaos    1

586272231[/snapback]

thats nice, but it doesn't prove anything. either way, you are in the minority. the console industry always has been, and always will be, a graphics driven market.

Laughing-Man    0
Ignoring Iwata's stubbornness to accept current & future standards is clever ?  :huh:

586271702[/snapback]

By the time HD becomes standard in every home, there will be another new technology that people will be bitching about that consoles need to support. And gaming in HD is still experimental. What will be your excuse if games have framerate issues or other problems?

And it is a clever decision when you want to make an affordable console and not some $300-400 abomination that is a media center, which happens to play games.

thats nice, but it doesn't prove anything.  either way, you are in the minority.  the console industry always has been, and always will be, a graphics driven market.

586272274[/snapback]

I guess the PS2 is not outselling the Xbox and GameCube since it is a graphics driven market as you have suggested?

Crimson Behelit    0
I guess the PS2 is not outselling the Xbox and GameCube since it is a graphics driven market as you have suggested?

586272326[/snapback]

Most PS2 owners assert that the ps2 is more powerful or has better graphics than the Xbox and Gamecube, anyways. :rolleyes:

eric zed    0

Well of couse I wouldn't want the old Atari pong, but I don't see why graphics are such a huge ****ing deal. I care more about why this console si going to justify it's $300+ price tag, and HDTV, while nice, is not a good enough answer. I want to see a videogame that will make me want the console just to play it, not because it looks good, but because it looks FUN.

So in your way of thinking you wouldn't mind if the game developers just said "hey you know lets throw all this stuff out and re-introduce Pong to the masses, not a 3D version with cool graphics just the old black and white beep beep version they will love that eric zed a guy on a forum don't care about graphics!"

You took that waay too ****ing literally, there bud. I would care if the graphics were pong quality, but I wouldn't if they looked like PS2 quality on my PS3. As long as the game is fun, I could care less what it looks like.

l77Il7H    0

i had so much hope for revolution. i would of worshipped this machine but no hd resolution? screw you, nintendo. might as well keep on releasing game for ngc. nintendo is going down. it's a sad for me...

BroChaos    1

586272326[/snapback]

no, but it's probably outselling the ps1, super nintendo, nintendo, and genesis combined.

every generation is a big step forward in graphics. thats what i'm referring to. and from what nintendo is saying, they seem content with how things are right now.

Gromvar    0
how can he say people won't be playing on hdtvs?  they are already standard, and will be majority in like a year. 

i really really hope the games at least support 16:9...i don't want to be watching a stretched image. 

do these guys not grasp how popular hdtvs are?

586271597[/snapback]

I doubt hdtv's will be the majority next year. I work at a movie rental place and I can safely say that a good 8/10 of the people over 30 who walk in do not have hdtv's. Plus I can count 30 people off the top of my head who still don't have dvd players and are shocked and appauled that they have to get one next year since vhs is going to stop being made.

So no, I don't think hdtv's will be majority next year, but probably the year after when everyone starts to use the new blue-ray and hd-dvd formats. People will want to use these formats to their potential and will get tv's to do it then.

So I think what Nintendo has done is great. I'm like a few above me I do go back sometimes and play those old games for their gameplay, because their more fun than some of today's games with their great graphics. And anyway the Revolution hasn't come out yet and they may change their minds again, but if they don't then oh well...that won't change my mind from buying one.

Laughing-Man    0
no, but it's probably outselling the ps1, super nintendo, nintendo, and genesis combined. 

every generation is a big step forward in graphics.  thats what i'm referring to.  and from what nintendo is saying, they seem content with how things are right now.

586272375[/snapback]

Of course the PS2 would be outselling the consoles you mentioned because those consoles are no longer being sold or produced.

Nintendo as always downplays the power of their system and said the Revolution will be 2-3x more powerful then the GameCube. How is 2x-3x not a big step forward? What would you consider a "big step forward in graphics"? Judging the screenshots of upcoming games for the Xbox360 and PS3 I wouldn't even consider them a big step forward in graphics as much as the graphical jump from say the Playstation to the PS2.

I am not singling you out, but it is hilarious that people are judging the damn system graphics-wise and there has not even been a single screenshot or movie from a game developed for the Revoluton. And it is pretty sad that people are more concerned about the graphics and HD then the games themselves. Great graphics are not going to suddenly make ****ty games good, however you can have ****ty looking great games.

Edited by jmole

Vice    1,593
Well of couse I wouldn't want the old Atari pong, but I don't see why graphics are such a huge ****ing deal. I care more about why this console si going to justify it's $300+ price tag, and HDTV, while nice, is not a good enough answer. I want to see a videogame that will make me want the console just to play it, not because it looks good, but because it looks FUN.

You took that waay too ****ing literally, there bud. I would care if the graphics were pong quality, but I wouldn't if they looked like PS2 quality on my PS3. As long as the game is fun,  I could care less what it looks like.

586272345[/snapback]

The point I tried to make was if no one ever developers new technology we would never get anything better, many people have HDTV's now and flat screen LCD's and projector TV's that are all capable of HDTV resolutions, one day we might have real holographic technology but if we don't do this sort of thing now we will never reach that.

Graphics count end of.

faraway.    0
since when was Zelda going to be a launch title??

Twilight Princess is going to be on GC and yes they are working on a Rev. Zelda...but i don't see it being ready for the Rev. launch.....

586271734[/snapback]

I don't know it said in the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly that it would be a launch title (EGM).

Epimetheus    0

Nintendo is right.

We're entering a generation where graphics are better but not great, they are more detailed, but still the same. Doom 3 is a perfect example of this, Doom 3 is a game that is undoubtedly beautiful due to its engine, and is highly detailed. Now if you compare the new Unreal 3 engine and Doom 3 engine the changes are not that great. And since the Unreal engine and the Doom 3 engine are literally the pioneers of this next generation (GSOW and that Zombie/Necromancer game).

This next generation is more detailed guys, but not ANY more immersive or real then this generation or what we have seen on PCs the last year. What will we see exactly on the PS3 and Xbox 360? Killzone 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, and more. Generic FPS that all offer great graphics but are not any better then this generation when it comes to gameplay.

I think Nintendo is trying to do something about the whole picture rather then just upping the horsepower as they said. I mean when's the last time you saw a game that really immerses you? Sure a lot can be great experiances and draw you in but when's the last time you could just play a game and be pulled in? The industry as changed a lot over the past years, we now have cookie cutter games, that are not in any way creative or interesting but are put out just because-they are put out. I mean I can literally pick up any SNES or Genesis game right now and play it, and be insured I will have some fun out of it, and I won't be put away by it.

Nintendo is trying to bring that idea back, with the entrance of Sony and Microsoft that old idea was lost, that old idea worked and did its job, but it lost to the trendy companies like MS and Sony.

I will say that some games developed by Microsoft and Sony have that feel in them, God of War being one of them. You can pick that up and have fun with it, just as long as you know how to press square. Today a lot of games require you to be a god damn ninja with the controller to be good at them, God of War is a mix, but games like Halo 2, and GTA require you to be a ninja, and that's what turns a lot of people off. I know that because my family won't touch those games, not because their gory, or mature, or sex-filled, but because you have to be a controller ninja to get fun out of them, or keep track of so many damn things that you become sensory over-loaded and fail. Yet they'll easisly pick up the older games and play them, and play simpler games such has SC or, Mario Party.

So what I expect is that they're going to offer simpler games, including their whole back catalogue, and continue to develop games like they are today, WHILST giving you a immerse experiance. So for you nay-sayers and Nintendo Nazis, I suggest you buy a Nintendo console, grab some of the utmost excellant titles they've put out for it these past five years, and then come back and tell me you did not have FUN. And if you do, you're a god damn liar.

I am not singling you out, but it is hilarious that people are judging the damn system graphics-wise and there has not even been a single screenshot or movie from a game developed for the Revoluton. And it is pretty sad that people are more concerned about the graphics and HD then the games themselves. Great graphics are not going to suddenly make ****ty games good, however you can have ****ty looking great games.

EDIT: :yes:

notuptome2004    152
I am sorry but RE4 has way better graphics than some Next Gen PS3 and XBOX360 games that I have seen. Also keep in mind Zelda: TP isn't finished yet and the final product will have amazing graphics. Personally, I think the Nintendo Revolution will have an unbeatable line of launch titles including a new Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Starfox.

586266746[/snapback]

RE4 had great graphics for GC but i dont think it looks better then some next Gen games atleast not the one si seen like project gothem raceng 3 and stuff and RE5

dun dun dun.... bring on the Nintendo Fanboys.. :D

just kidding.

i find it really disapointing and sickening that people can judge a console's future without knowing anything about it. The revolution will probably contain Next Generation graphics. Nintendo is working hard with IBM and ATI to make new chips. ATI and IBM also helped make the chips for the gamecube. Broadway and Hollywood will probably be decent affordable chips with next generation technology built into them just like the gamecube. Look at the gamecube. $99 dollars put out graphics such as resident evil 4. Resident Evil 4 Arguably has graphics better than the xbox which can be purchased for $200. with $99 Nintendo still made a profit on their console.

What do I have to say about the revolution? Nothing. It is my most anticipated console. It will have the titles I am most interested in. and I know nothing about it, along with the people who are making bad comments about it. Overal i agree with Erich's comment. I put gameplay above graphics anyday, so I support the direction Nintendo is taking.

Could i potentially be disapointed by the controller(s) when they are unvieled? yes..

Could the graphics be not on par with current generation? there is a possibility

if it wasn't on par with current generation would i care? no.

EDIT: All prices i used are in Canadian Dollars

586267188[/snapback]

the Xbox is $ 150 and as for next genration Nintendo R it may have graphics simuler to current X800 technolagy on the PC cause ide hate to see ATI supply the same graphics chipset witch be odd in my book. but iam almost thinking if it is lucky to have specs close to X800 for grahics that be a jump over the current GC ATI graphics DX7 based with some moddfications but iam feeling they may Nintendo may just go with somthing less costly and use older DX 8.1 technolagy <<< i know i know i it would be crazy but wouldant put it past Nintendo to do just that and focus more on Gamplay and physics Power more proccesing power rather then more graphics.

xyzzyman    0

every generation is a big step forward in graphics.  thats what i'm referring to.  and from what nintendo is saying, they seem content with how things are right now.

586272375[/snapback]

NES	61,780,000
Master System	13,000,000
1st Generation Combined	[B]74,780,000[/B]

SNES	49,020,000
Genesis	30,750,000
2nd Generation Combined	[B]79,770,000[/B]

PS1	101,000,000
Saturn	9,260,000
N64	32,930,000
3DO	700,000
3rd Generation Combined	[B]143,890,000[/B]

PS2	91,690,000
Xbox	19,900,900
Dreamcast	10,600,000
Gamecube	18,030,000
4th Generation Combined	[B]140,220,900[/B]

It hasn't even sold more than the PS1 yet. Those 4 systems combined have sold 242,550,000. By my calculations they had better sell 150million to do that. Or 9 million to beat PS1.

okidoki    0
RE4 had great graphics for  GC  but  i dont think it  looks better then some next Gen games atleast  not the one si  seen like project gothem raceng 3  and stuff and  RE5

the  Xbox is $ 150  and as for next genration Nintendo R it may have  graphics simuler  to current X800 technolagy on the  PC cause ide hate to see  ATI supply the same graphics chipset witch be odd in my book. but iam almost thinking if it  is lucky to have  specs close to  X800 for grahics that be a jump over  the  current  GC  ATI graphics  DX7 based with some moddfications but iam feeling they may  Nintendo may  just go with somthing less  costly and use  older DX 8.1 technolagy  <<< i know i know i it  would be crazy  but  wouldant  put it past Nintendo to do just that  and focus more  on Gamplay and  physics Power more proccesing power rather then more graphics.

586272483[/snapback]

First of all, proper grammar and punctuation - not to mention correct spelling - would help a lot.

Secondly, paragraphs were invented for a reason.

Now that I'm done bashing your writing-style, let's get down to the nitty gritty:

Nintendo are not using "DirectX technology".

They're using their own API. DirectX and Nintendo's graphics-API has next-to-nothing in common - one of the few exceptions being that both can handle shaders.

Don't ever try to compare a console with pc hardware and/or pc software ever again. It's people like you who push the myth that the 360 and PS3 will be oh-so-much-more-awesome than a PC.

Either way, have a cluepon.

post-965-1122358837.jpg

golazo    0
Nintendo is right.

We're entering a generation where graphics are better but not great, they are more detailed, but still the same. Doom 3 is a perfect example of this, Doom 3 is a game that is undoubtedly beautiful due to its engine, and is highly detailed. Now if you compare the new Unreal 3 engine and Doom 3 engine the changes are not that great. And since the Unreal engine and the Doom 3 engine are literally the pioneers of this next generation (GSOW and that Zombie/Necromancer game).

This next generation is more detailed guys, but not ANY more immersive or real then this generation or what we have seen on PCs the last year. What will we see exactly on the PS3 and Xbox 360? Killzone 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, and more. Generic FPS that all offer great graphics but are not any better then this generation when it comes to gameplay.

I think Nintendo is trying to do something about the whole picture rather then just upping the horsepower as they said. I mean when's the last time you saw a game that really immerses you? Sure a lot can be great experiances and draw you in but when's the last time you could just play a game and be pulled in? The industry as changed a lot over the past years, we now have cookie cutter games, that are not in any way creative or interesting but are put out just because-they are put out. I mean I can literally pick up any SNES or Genesis game right now and play it, and be insured I will have some fun out of it, and I won't be put away by it.

Nintendo is trying to bring that idea back, with the entrance of Sony and Microsoft that old idea was lost, that old idea worked and did its job, but it lost to the trendy companies like MS and Sony.

I will say that some games developed by Microsoft and Sony have that feel in them, God of War being one of them. You can pick that up and have fun with it, just as long as you know how to press square. Today a lot of games require you to be a god damn ninja with the controller to be good at them, God of War is a mix, but games like Halo 2, and GTA require you to be a ninja, and that's what turns a lot of people off. I know that because my family won't touch those games, not because their gory, or mature, or sex-filled, but because you have to be a controller ninja to get fun out of them, or keep track of so many damn things that you become sensory over-loaded and fail. Yet they'll easisly pick up the older games and play them, and play simpler games such has SC or, Mario Party.

So what I expect is that they're going to offer simpler games, including their whole back catalogue, and continue to develop games like they are today, WHILST giving you a immerse experiance. So for you nay-sayers and Nintendo Nazis, I suggest you buy a Nintendo console, grab some of the utmost excellant titles they've put out for it these past five years, and then come back and tell me you did not have FUN. And if you do, you're a god damn liar.

perfectly put, this guy is right on the money.

but graphics are important for me and i think most of the people who say they arn't are just lying to get attention. just say there is the 2 exact same games.. let's just say it's the original mario game and there is two copys of it. one with the original nes graphics and one that looks like real life but the game and the levels are exactly the same. which one are you going to buy.... exactly

BroChaos    1
NES	61,780,000
Master System	13,000,000
1st Generation Combined	[B]74,780,000[/B]

SNES	49,020,000
Genesis	30,750,000
2nd Generation Combined	[B]79,770,000[/B]

PS1	101,000,000
Saturn	9,260,000
N64	32,930,000
3DO	700,000
3rd Generation Combined	[B]143,890,000[/B]

PS2	91,690,000
Xbox	19,900,900
Dreamcast	10,600,000
Gamecube	18,030,000
4th Generation Combined	[B]140,220,900[/B]

It hasn't even sold more than the PS1 yet. Those 4 systems combined have sold 242,550,000. By my calculations they had better sell 150million to do that. Or 9 million to beat PS1.

586272490[/snapback]

interesting info, thanks. it's amazing what you can pull up on the internet these days. i was exaggerating, but i think you get my point. every generation is a step forward in graphics.

@jmole, i'm not knocking the graphics, i'm aware there are no screenshots. but as someone who is in the lcd market, i know my company sells about 50,000 hdtvs a month, and we are only the 3rd or 4th biggest lcd company. and these numbers are only gonna increase. the ONLY thing i'm worried about is a 16:9 option. the games HAVE to have this, IMO.

Norante    0

Better graphics don't mean more high resolution textures, effects and a bazillion polygons. Aestheticaly speaking, Zelda is by leaps and bouds much more attractive visually than 80% of the next generation titles show so far.

notuptome2004    152
Better graphics don't mean more high resolution textures, effects and a bazillion polygons. Aestheticaly speaking, Zelda is by leaps and bouds much more attractive visually than 80% of the next generation titles show so far.

umm i dont think so. wher do you get that diea from ide like to know so you mean that the Zelda on GC and the GC for that matter can creat in game images liek this

post-74594-1122369510_thumb.jpgpost-74594-1122369532_thumb.jpg

Edited by notuptome2004

jerry    0
By the time HD becomes standard in every home, there will be another new technology that people will be bitching about that consoles need to support.? And gaming in HD is still experimental.? What will be your excuse if games have framerate issues or other problems?

And it is a clever decision when you want to make an affordable console and not some $300-400 abomination that is a media center, which happens to play games.

586272326[/snapback]

HD is a standard right now and WILL be a standard for this decade because the whole industry is supporting it. Probably by next year or 2007 at max, it will have an acceptance rate similar to that of DVD players right now.

Unless you work at ATI or Nintendo, I do not know how you came to the conclusion that making Revolution an HD console will automatically make it expensive:huh:h:

Lets rewind 5 years from now to 2000. I think the default standard resolution was 640x480 and most people gamed at that resolution. Now lets play HL2, Doom3 or FarCry at that resolution and lets see if we enjoy the same experience .. Revolution is a console and is expected to last atleast 5 years. So what Nintendo is saying right now is that you have gamed at the same resolution for the past 5 years and will continue to game at the same resolution for the next 5 years too.

trix    1

unfortuenly i have to agree. well untill good games started comming out for those consoles :p but i have to admit i still play my snes on a *almost* daily basis. alongside the ps2/gc .. still need to get the xbox =/ and don't flame me for saying that, i still want it and i recokon i'd play the xbox alot more then the xbox360 when it first comes out

Laughing-Man    0

586272475[/snapback]

Epimetheus your entire post completely hit the nail on the head and couldn't have been said better.(Y)

@BroChaos: I definitely agree with you. I think it is more of a concern that games should be outputing at the correct aspect ratio rather then if they output in HD. There are still many games that do not have a widescreen option. Also you may be shipping many HD capable TVs, but I am going to take a stab and say the majority are not going to gamers because gamers probably make up a tiny portion of the people who buy TVs or for that matter even know what HD is.

@Jerry: To output at a higher resolution requires more power to do so. And more power = better hardware = more money. The same holds with PC as it does with consoles.

Edited by jmole

jerry    0
@Jerry:? To output at a higher resolution requires more power to do so.? And more power = better hardware = more money.

586273520[/snapback]

Gamecube supports 480p resolution (640x480) . 720p or HD is 1280x720 which is exactly 3 times the pixels as 480p. Going with Iwata's comments, Revolution should have no problems handling that resolution. Also the main factors making 360 & PS3 expensive (compared to Rev) are the extra features, not HD.