"Bittorrent" server system

Question

Pajter

I was just browsing some torrent sites, and this thought came into my head... You know with Bittorrent, you have lots of users, uploading bits and pieces of files and downloading them at the same time...

What if, you had servers that worked this way. For instance... what if there was this system, where you had to connect to some other system, so when you were browsing the server, and downloading data from it, you would simultaneously upload to "help" the server. So instead of having a computer that makes a server, you have lots of users giving a little bit of their computer and internet connection, to create a server... And as soon as you're not uploading anymore, you're also not allowed to be on the server anymore. This would be a whole new way of the internet :p

I don't even know if this is technically possible, but it was just a random thought I had in my head. I thought I'd post it here... I guess if it were possible, you could make lots of money out of this idea :p

17 answers to this question

former1

Buh? O_o Mind drawing a diagram? You lost me after the second ... :p

eye_see_you

virtualizing the internet.. hmm interesting concept but don't think it would work

phedot

You saying that if let's imagine Neowin Server acted as a BT Server and uoploaded chunks of data (pages) to clients and then these clients could upload the data to other clients/surfers?

Well isnt' that a proxy? :blush:

Pajter

Well.. for instance take this forum :p We have lots of users, actually leeching stuff of this server. What if there was instead of a server with a hard drive and stuff, was a network of users, all connecting to each others computers, and getting stuff from each other, instead of the server. That way, when you're connected, you're not only leeching, but also sharing. The more users you have, the faster the server is, and the more space the server has...

It would be the ideal system, because the server wouldn't get slower if more users are on it, but it would actually not slow down at all. It would be the perfect system, like communism :laugh:

Pajter
You saying that if let's imagine Neowin Server acted as a BT Server and uoploaded chunks of data (pages) to clients and then these clients could upload the data to other clients/surfers?

Well isnt' that a proxy? :blush:

586268156[/snapback]

Ehhrm... I dunno? :laugh:

I really don't have that much knowledge in that area, it was just a thought :p

neufuse

lot of security risks by doing that with web content for websites and such.. never know if someone edited a website to say something different, or put in bad links or something else.. sure hashing and stuff would be used to check it its correct, but like always someone would find a way

Pajter

Yeah that's true.. but there are hackers on the internet now too... it's inevitable :p There will always be a way, whatever system it is :p

dotRoot

BitTorrent technology was meant for something like that when it came out. It was for the downloading and uploading of singular files, not a server's whole content I don't think. I could be wrong though.

Billprozac

freenet

Anubis187

wasn't ms working on something like this for longhorn?

Malisk
wasn't ms working on something like this for longhorn?

586270319[/snapback]

Nah, it was a P2P research project blown out of proportion IMHO. That one may end up as a client for end users, but it may just as well end up something used internally at Microsoft, or end up as not used at all.

sfalcon

Bittorrent works best for static content. However, forum posts and all that are constantly changing, how could you make sure everyone was uploading the latest content without them accessing the server constantly? I don't think it'd work all that well.

mlerner

We would still need a lot of disk space (some people don't have a lot) and more upload bandwidth to send the content to multiple people. Plus who would want to go on this system, with all that traffic slowing you down.

Pajter

Indeed.. you've got some good points there :p Well, as with most of my impulsive thoughts, they don't end up being usable anyway :laugh:

Deathray

The idea makes sense. We simply dont have the means to implement it right now. Computers would need enormous harddrives, speaking in terabytes and on. In addition, a massive amount of bandwidth. Essentially, we'd become the servers, but if you think about it, by the time we have such huge harddrives and enormous bandwidth... so will the servers :p

blackice912

If it was just for images, it could work. Non-static stuff (Like PHP pages) wouldn't ever work out with that kind of system.

Pajter

Yes indeed... come to think of it, it'll only work with static stuff... But that's what Bittorrent is for already :p A genious system for static stuff :yes: