Why does my 5700VE Suck

Now I know the FX 5xxx Video Cards aren't that great, but I recently upgraded from a Geforce 4 Ti4200 128 mb AGP 4x to a Geforce FX5700VE 256 mb AGP 8x. I would at least think that I would notice some sort of performance increase with double the ram and agp speed. I didn't expect much but i expected some increase. After installing the card into my computer I already had the latest nvidia drivers so i tested out some games. GTA: SA really seems to run worse than before. Farcry ran just fine on my Ti card but won't run at all on the FX. So I reinstalled the video card drivers and its the same crap.

Will someone please explain to me why the FX is such a crappy card. :wacko:

It should be at least as fast. Try to make sure games you run use pixel shader 1.4 or less as opposed to 2.0 as it's much faster and you can barely notice the difference anyway.

Sorry to break this to you, but an extra 128MB RAM is worthless on that card, and 8x vs. 4x is a few fps difference at best, if that.

The real kicker would be if the 5700VE is a 64-bit card, but I'm not sure. That would completely cripple it and explain why it performs much worse than your ti4200 did. I think it's 128-bit though.

Unless you can set it at the driver level to only use one shader model, you're going to have to enable the shader version per game (like a shortcut switch ex. "D:\Games\Halo\halo.exe -use20" causes Halo to run with Pixel Shader 2.0 on my system)

@Zinarac - Try uninstalling the drivers, boot to Safe Mode and remove the left over files with DriverCleaner (I think you can get it from Guru3D.com) ignore all the windows msg's to install drivers, reboot, install your nVidia drivers (Try a 6x.xx, or even the last of the 5x.xx line of drivers, you'll get better performance on a GF5 series card with these in some situations than the 7x.xx series, plus it eliminates one more possible issue) reboot, then use something like CrapCleaner to clean your registry and try your games. That's the cleanest possible way to install a new video card AFAIK. I'm going to go check out the specs on your card, so if I can find something that may be another issue.

Edited by .weir

I think I found you problem dude, lets compare

GeForce 4 Ti4200

AGP: 4x

Memory Interface: 128-bit

Core Clock: 250MHz

RAM Clock: 450Mhz

Onboard Mem: 128MB

DX Support: 8.1

VS

GeForce FX 5700VE

AGP: 8x (not going to make a big difference)

Memory Interface: 64-bit :pinch:

Core Clock: 400MHz (will make a bit of a difference, but will be bottle necked by the 64-bit mem architecture)

RAM Clock: 400Mhz (it's actually slower than the Ti4200!)

Onboard Mem: 256MB (Chances are, considering the ram speed, and the mem architecture, 256MB is going to hinder more than help)

DX Support: 9 :rolleyes: (It's basically 8.1)

I'd say take it back, not much of an upgrade, if you're looking for something in the same price range, get a 9600PRO/XT, if you can stretch, a 9800PRO, or if you really wanted, a 6600GT

I think I found you problem dude, lets compare

GeForce 4 Ti4200

AGP: 4x

Memory Interface: 128-bit

Core Clock: 250MHz

RAM Clock: 450Mhz

Onboard Mem: 128MB

DX Support: 8.1

VS

GeForce FX 5700VE

AGP: 8x (not going to make a big difference)

Memory Interface: 64-bit :pinch:

Core Clock: 400MHz (will make a bit of a difference, but will be bottle necked by the 64-bit mem architecture)

RAM Clock: 400Mhz (it's actually slower than the Ti4200!)

Onboard Mem: 256MB (Chances are, considering the ram speed, and the mem architecture, 256MB is going to hinder more than help)

DX Support: 9 :rolleyes: (It's basically 8.1)

I'd say take it back, not much of an upgrade, if you're looking for something in the same price range, get a 9600PRO/XT, if you can stretch, a 9800PRO, or if you really wanted, a 6600GT

586285409[/snapback]

All information I saw on the 5700VE said it was 128-bit, but if it really is 64-bit that would definitely explain his troubles.

well i had a hell of a time coming across any info on it, i found a link to a prolink 5700VE that said 64-bit, and I wouldn't doubt it, my old 5700le was 64-bit, and ve is value edition, basically the same as lite editon, but i may be wrong, it may vary from one vendor to the next possibly?

Well thanks for all the information guys. I'm talking to one of my friends that might want to sell me his 9800pro. So hopefully I can get a better card and ditch the 5700VE peice of crap. If you come across any other information let me know. Thanks.

Hmm. Every thing I have seen about this card says it is 128 bit, mind

you that was with only a 2 minute google search.

Did you by chance not reinstall your drivers for this card? From your first

post that's what it sounded like. The reason I ask is that even though

you had the latest Forceware drivers installed the package will only install

drivers specific to your card.

Try uninstallig then reinstalling your drivers.

never mind I reread your post. :pinch:

Alo the 4200 has 4x2 pipes whereas the 5700 has 2x2... so the actual fillrate is lower even though the 5700 is clocked higher....

All information I saw on the 5700VE said it was 128-bit, but if it really is 64-bit that would definitely explain his troubles.

586286722[/snapback]

Even with 128-bit, 5700VE is a downgrade from 4200.

Like ArtOfwar said, 4200 is 4x2 but 5700LE 4x1.

Memory Bandwidth: 8.2GB/s

Fill Rate: 2000 MTexels/s

5700 VE

Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/s (128bit)

Fill Rate: 1000 MTexels/s

:whistle:

Well I am going to buy a 9800 Pro soon. Why does Nvidia even produce cars like that. It ****es me off becuase they are worse than older cards but make them look like they are better. I guess they are made so that they can get stupid people to buy them and think they are getting a good card for a good deal. The good thing is that I only got the card for $25 so its not a big deal.

Well I am going to buy a 9800 Pro soon. Why does Nvidia even produce cars like that. It ****es me off becuase they are worse than older cards but make them look like they are better. I guess they are made so that they can get stupid people to buy them and think they are getting a good card for a good deal. The good thing is that I only got the card for $25 so its not a big deal.

586290124[/snapback]

It's not just NVIDIA really. The entire 9600 series from ATI is slower than the 9500 series, even though the naming scheme would lead you to believe the opposite.

Yeah. I'm definately not against Nvidia now. I would love to get a 7800 card or even a 6800 card. I'm gonna go with a 9800 pro right now becuase my friend wants to sell me his near new one becuase he just upgraded to something better. I just hate how all companies gradually make products better when they have the technology to introduce something way better. They can make a lot more money by upgrading one thng on their cards and then selling those for a couple of months and then introduce the next better card. That's just how it seems to work, so oh well. Thanks again for digging up all the information on those two cards because it all makes sense now.

Yeah. I'm definately not against Nvidia now. I would love to get a 7800 card or even a 6800 card. I'm gonna go with a 9800 pro right now becuase my friend wants to sell me his near new one becuase he just upgraded to something better. I just hate how all companies gradually make products better when they have the technology to introduce something way better. They can make a lot more money by upgrading one thng on their cards and then selling those for a couple of months and then introduce the next better card. That's just how it seems to work, so oh well. Thanks again for digging up all the information on those two cards because it all makes sense now.

586292000[/snapback]

Don't blame NVIDIA because you didn't do your research. The 4200 was essentially the high end card of the Geforce 4 ti line with lower clock speeds, while the 5700 series is the mid range card of the FX line. A good comparison would have been the 5900XT or Ultra if you had checked it out thoroughly. However, you saw a "deal" and went for it without considering it. It's not their fault.

1 rule of thumb for video cards

Dont buy ANYTHING labled VE or SE unless someone here caid u can flash it and make it a PRO

586289053[/snapback]

SE: Stupid Edition, VE: Ehh cant think of anything with V in it, hehe.....But you get the idea :whistle: